Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Hunslet LEEDS , pretty near to City centre , 10.5cm level lying snow and still falling moderately

I'm almost certain back home on the North side of Leeds there will be 6 inch of fresh snow today

Mick

Posted

We've got the big flakes now although, Lewis, it seems like there is a clearance in the Bridlington Area and heading down towards Hornsea?

Is this moving inland?

gobby

Posted

The snow doesnt seem to be moving very far at all at the minute. When should it begin to move south as currently it is about 10 miles north west of me, but is moving due east :whistling:

Posted

A couple of inches of level snow even in city centre Leeds which is rare.

4-5inches level at home this am at 7am and coming down heavy since then.

looking forward to the depth when and if I get home tonite..

Posted

We've got the big flakes now although, Lewis, it seems like there is a clearance in the Bridlington Area and heading down towards Hornsea?

Is this moving inland?

gobby

Hi Ash,

The precipitation is rotating, if you look on the netweather radar it's like a vortex even with the actual precipitation over you, look out for the heavier echo's and you will see what i mean.

Regarding the clearance in the Bridlington area, i would not worry about it. It will probably be covered again soon.

I'll keep an eye on it though mate,

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Light snow beginning to fall again here, looking at the 11:00 MetO radar we are in for another spell of moderate the heavy snow here over the next hour or two. :cold:

My Mum has got stuck in Sheffield on Manor road and is being rescued by my Dad. She sounded in a mild state of panic on the phone :pardon:

Edited by CAPE-steve

Posted

5 inches here to east of rotherham about 137m asl .

Edited by Delta76

Posted

10cms now.

1.3 - wish it would stop going up!

lol, relax, don't worry about :)

We'll start bringing colder 850's from the NE soon to the surface.

The current temp here is 1.8c with a dew of 1.1c and its still snowing heavily.

Lewis

Posted

8cm here and the temp is 0.6C and the dewpoint -0.7C

I suspect we may have to endure this slow rise in temperatures until the effects of the low get further south. This will allow the lower dewpoint air to the north and north east to filter into this area.

As they say you cannot have everything-snow means slightly higher temps in this kind of situation but have a look at Extra and its predicted temps right out over the weekend. No need to worry about not being able to take the kids out sledging!

Posted

I suspect we may have to endure this slow rise in temperatures until the effects of the low get further south. This will allow the lower dewpoint air to the north and north east to filter into this area.

As they say you cannot have everything-snow means slightly higher temps in this kind of situation but have a look at Extra and its predicted temps right out over the weekend. No need to worry about not being able to take the kids out sledging!

Good call yesterday John when people were sweating!

Posted

The band of snow has cleared here and left about 3-4 inches. Extremely slow traffic, took 2 hours to drive to York when it normally takes 15min -> 20min. Nice result :)

Posted

I'm not to worried about a thaw, hopefully temps should drop overnight as the front clears. I'm hoping for some snow showers to keep me topped up. This is one of the best snow spells i have seen for years. God knows how much there's going to be on the ground if the ECM comes off!

Posted

hey john! just drove into town center and back and its terrible! looking like 11-12cm here so far! never seen it this bad! :):):):)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

After 4½ hrs of constant snowfall it has

stopped now.

Temp. up to 1.4 C

Just measured the flat laying fall. Only 3.5 cm.

I keep piling out the food for the

poor birdies.

BL :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The 06z GFS is extending the snow now until tonight after it was earlier saying the snow would die out after midday. At present it is still snowing... I have just been out on the moors and it is like a blizzard up there. If this carries on into the night we will be digging ourselves out the front door up here :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Has this front stalled over us ? Been heavy here for at least an hour, (and hasn't completely stopped at any point since 7.45 this morning), and according to the radar it doesn't appear to have moved much in that time either, except that the band appears to have narrowed slightly ?

Posted

The 06z GFS is extending the snow now until tonight after it was earlier saying the snow would die out after midday. At present it is still snowing... I have just been out on the moors and it is like a blizzard up there. If this carries on into the night we will be digging ourselves out the front door up here :D

Sky news weather, have been showing it until tomorrow morning.

Posted

Has this front stalled over us ? Been heavy here for at least an hour, (and hasn't completely stopped at any point since 7.45 this morning), and according to the radar it doesn't appear to have moved much in that time either, except that the band appears to have narrowed slightly ?

I' not sure its stalled but there is something going on I can't yet put my finger to. Its still snowing here and judging from reports from others to the west-Dronfield and Rotherham outskirts-it should just about have done so here by now, based on those reports.

It could be that the low is actually tending to edge a bit NE of its track, although I doubt that, it is probably something to do with its frontal band winding around itself as it moves SSE. This would also partly account for the rises in temps being reported at the moment.

Just had a quick look at the radar play through and that does support the idea of the whole area winding around itslef as the whole lot tries to edge SSE.

Close inspection suggests it may be even more complex and this area, much as 06Z GFS/Extra suggested, could see snow on and off for several hours yet.

very very complex goings on in the area of the low and front at the moment.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Is the band going to edge further south back over sheffield or is it stalling further north? Temp at 0.0

Light snow here @ 1.2

Posted

been snowing since about 8 this morning still going.i will be going out to measure later