Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

just listened to radio hull erm humberside, sarah cruddas still talking about sleety mix on the coast and no mention of convective showers coming in on the back of the north easter later?

quite confused, but that isnt difficult!

Whoever suggest there is no snow showers pushing in later, at the BBC need shooting.

Does not take a rocket scientist to work it out with a flow that we'll be getting.

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

just listened to radio hull erm humberside, sarah cruddas still talking about sleety mix on the coast and no mention of convective showers coming in on the back of the north easter later?

quite confused, but that isnt difficult!

Yeah, she said something similar of Radio Lincs this morning - in fact she did say that there might be showers into the evening and first thing tonight, but said tomorrow would be bright, sunny and cold with 'the odd isolated shower'. Confused me too.

Posted

Blizzard like conditions here, probably around 6-8 inches of snowdrinks.gif .

Posted

Whoever suggest there is no snow showers pushing in later, at the BBC need shooting.

Does not take a rocket scientist to work it out with a flow that we'll be getting.

Lewis

Cold air over warmer sea = Showers :whistling:

Posted

Yeah, she said something similar of Radio Lincs this morning - in fact she did say that there might be showers into the evening and first thing tonight, but said tomorrow would be bright, sunny and cold with 'the odd isolated shower'. Confused me too.

Bright and sunny lol?

On a flow like that...

post-2644-12626830320725_thumb.png

Very heavy showers pushing in off the N sea too me. Such a difference in SSTS and Upper 850's, convective will be lovely.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Hi John, does the formation of this second low pressure feature explain why the precipitation band is sort of 'shuffling' east of south John? Or is it more likely to be as a result of the low pressure system in the North sea making slower than expected progress? It certainly seems to be generating some very impressive snow totals over the High ground on the Eastern part of the Southern Pennines.

This winter has already delivered 6 consecutive days of falling snow before Christmas - and three ice days with lying snow so it's been a exceptional winter for me already, regardless of what happens over the next few days. It's one of the reasons why I'm fairly relaxed about what happens next.

I can't say 100% and will need to see the 09z chart but very probably-still not too sure of what its track might be

update by about 1000z I hope

Posted

Hi John, does the formation of this second low pressure feature explain why the precipitation band is sort of 'shuffling' east of south John? Or is it more likely to be as a result of the low pressure system in the North sea making slower than expected progress? It certainly seems to be generating some very impressive snow totals over the High ground on the Eastern part of the Southern Pennines.

This winter has already delivered 6 consecutive days of falling snow before Christmas - and three ice days with lying snow so it's been a exceptional winter for me already, regardless of what happens over the next few days. It's one of the reasons why I'm fairly relaxed about what happens next.

A rough estimate here, about 17cm so far.

Posted

OMG !!! So much for 6 to 8cm, started snowing at 8.15am and now we already wave 10 cm, with plenty more to come. The whole town has grind to a halt, cars coming in to work are stuck and blocking the roads for cars trying to go home complete maddness. :):)

Posted

Looking at the latest radar it all seems to be going foffh into the Hull snow wall ! :)

Appears to but look at the radar now, look south, its at it's southern edge now when it pivots, so it will stay over us for hours to come. I expect it to intensify quite a lot. Its still growing on its eastern edge.

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Just about to set off to work. Should be interesting today. Nothing from my employers so job as normal.

All the places I work in are gridlocked...Doncaster Rotherham Worksop, Pontefract, Castleford and NG20 postcode area. Not even a voice of concern from my boss at all.

My webcam shows the latest images in Crossgates. I will be turning it off soon as the PC uses too much electric to leave on.

Anyhow, we have around 3 inches at the moment. Traffic chaos, gas shortages and the phone lines will come down any moment....

I'll see you all later. I have a flask, my waterproof suit for my leathers incase the worst should happen and a shovel....

Posted

Bright and sunny lol?

On a flow like that...

post-2644-12626830320725_thumb.png

Very heavy showers pushing in off the N sea too me. Such a difference in SSTS and Upper 850's, convective will be lovely.

Lewis

That's why John suggests watching the radar in these situations. You never know what might turn up :good:

Posted

looks to be intensifying from the south west along the front, this lines up with what people in sheffield and doncaster have mentioned and also with o6z gfs which shows moderate / heavy snow over us for most of the day. I am starting to feel much more confident having realised that sarah cruddas is just a dumb bint!

Posted

Yes, I suppose I am. I should be grateful having had them at home for the past two weeks :good:

Given the way the models appear to be heading ours might be at home the rest of Jan and who knows how much after, I wonder if this winter will prompt a revue of school closures, I hate to sound an old git but we went to school in 4 feet drifts. The boy has his exams this year he does not need to miss several weeks of school, its hard to keep his brain on track as it is.

Posted

Given the way the models appear to be heading ours might be at home the rest of Jan and who knows how much after, I wonder if this winter will prompt a revue of school closures, I hate to sound an old git but we went to school in 4 feet drifts. The boy has his exams this year he does not need to miss several weeks of school, its hard to keep his brain on track as it is.

It's a difficult one W.E. For me, it's a different situation because I live out in the sticks.

But for those who can walk to school, there shouldn't be a problem getting in.

I didn't think you were that old. For some reason, I'd always assumed you were a teenager :D

Posted

Just about to set off to work. Should be interesting today. Nothing from my employers so job as normal.

All the places I work in are gridlocked...Doncaster Rotherham Worksop, Pontefract, Castleford and NG20 postcode area. Not even a voice of concern from my boss at all.

My webcam shows the latest images in Crossgates. I will be turning it off soon as the PC uses too much electric to leave on.

Anyhow, we have around 3 inches at the moment. Traffic chaos, gas shortages and the phone lines will come down any moment....

I'll see you all later. I have a flask, my waterproof suit for my leathers incase the worst should happen and a shovel....

Sheffield is like a car park..