Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Alas and Alack! What looked so promising initially with a covering of about 1-2cm on waking and heavy grey skies, it is now sadly just a fine rain which is falling in Lincoln. :lol:

Posted

Still snowing, 21cm depth s36 9fe

Posted

Decided to drive to the office in York as it was only light snow here around 0800, but as you went inland and higher up there was definitely more snow. Pretty thick on Garrowby Hill but driveable, but heard the A166 had problems because of a broken down car at Stamford Bridge :wallbash:and York ring road was gridlocked, so decided to come back home.

Was surprised at how much the snow intensified on the way back as it looked like it was dying out on the radar when I left, but has been quite heavy at times since.

Around 5cm of fresh snow today, but has just stopped. Temp has risen to 0.4, DP only -1.

Posted

4 - 5cm in Halifax, still snowing steadily! I work in a school and have just been sent home. Hazardous journey home with busses really struggling. Whats the chances of more snow so i get another day off work?!

drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

John, I know you're inundated at the mo, but re. snow depth measuring, I'm not sure what would be regarded as accurate up here, because depths vary so hugely. For example, if I choose a patch which hasn't melted since the initial pre-Xmas falls and has steadily built up then we're talking at least 20-30 cms, but other areas which have melted a bit between falls, or areas exposed to wind where snow has been blown, the figure would be noticeably less. I know to avoid drifted snow, but even level surface totals vary hugely up here.

Posted

John, I know you're inundated at the mo, but re. snow depth measuring, I'm not sure what would be regarded as accurate up here, because depths vary so hugely. For example, if I choose a patch which hasn't melted since the initial pre-Xmas falls and has steadily built up then we're talking at least 20-30 cms, but other areas which have melted a bit between falls, or areas exposed to wind where snow has been blown, the figure would be noticeably less. I know to avoid drifted snow, but even level surface totals vary hugely up here.

Up at 7am not a flake all night.

Out at 8am nearly an inch at home.

13 miles later in work in Leeds 10am approx 1.5"

Snow has now slowed and lighter.

LS11

Edited by fazzafarrand

Posted

yes I can understand that its not easy.

Its the depth from this morning that I'm mainly interested in please.

Find a level surface where its not drifted if you can-if not simply state what you have round you

total cover or whatever, dry, loose, frozen,wet, icy, the varying depths. So long as I get a full idea of what is there that will be great-many thanks.

Posted

Is this it or shall we get some more later?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!
post-8288-12626890183725_thumb.jpg just starting to become more moderate up here latest mesurement just under 9 cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Snow certainly seems to be falling heavier, but I think we have a problem with the Dew Point here as although its snowing a lot the accumulation on the ground doesn't seem to match. Couple cms in places after 45 mins of light-moderate snow is nothing to write home about. But still, can't complain. :)

Posted

It won't get much higher lass, 2C if you are really unlucky!

Posted

Just got back from shops about 15 mins ago.

Snow is really coming down hard here in hull and continue's to do so. I found it hard measuring my depth because i have compact ice and gruapel underneath but i think spots that i remembered off the top of my head that was snow/ice free from the last bit of snowfall.

1CM (probably a lot more since i got in) level on all surfaces, sheltered spots for example down the back of the church near me is 1 and a half cm, but i don't count that.

The measurement was now 20 mins ago, and its been coming down heavy since.

Hope this helps John, will inform totals when it stops, but i can't see it stopping for another good 4-5 hours maybe longer.

post-2644-12626894660225_thumb.jpgpost-2644-12626894825925_thumb.jpgpost-2644-12626895273125_thumb.jpg

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Att 11.00am there were 4 and a quarter inches of lying snow in Stanley in Wakefield. Current temp is 1.1C - it's been at 1.0C for the last hour. At 8.00am it was 0C bang on.

Still snowing reasonably large flakes. Met Office last few hours of rader runs appears to show the precipitation not moving very far at all - in fact it's pretty much stuck!

Posted

Att 11.00am there were 4 and a quarter inches of lying snow in Stanley in Wakefield. Current temp is 1.1C - it's been at 1.0C for the last hour. At 8.00am it was 0C bang on.

Still snowing reasonably large flakes. Met Office last few hours of rader runs appears to show the precipitation not moving very far at all - in fact it's pretty much stuck!

Going to be stuck for a good few hours!

Posted

I hope not, don't want it melting!

Just been out and measured in Leeds

LS11 just of Elland Road

8cm or 3"

Nice but has nearly stopped.....