Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

9cm

many thanks for that

one other caution folks

NOT on grass if possible please on a hard surface preferrably

grass can add depth that is not there!

Posted

The band of snow seems to be moving east at the moment. At what point is it expected to veer to the south, as it is about 10 miles to my north and due west of me, and I want some more snow :girl_devil::clap:

Posted

9cm of snow on the ground and its still coming down fast!! Worst snow i have seen for good few years. More expected through the day as it pushes slowly south...

Judging by the latest gfs and NAE, it wont push south much across this part of the region.

John i know your very very busy, but my friend who is also a forecaster (snowking) aka Kris.

Last night we spotted something and it looks like its a higher chance today of it on the latest charts.

The precip wont move away across the part.

The precipitation/Band down to SW that is near the Bristol channel pushing into the Cheltenham area, will setup a stream from all the way and form to the band over the humber, with energy flowing right through.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

thanks h-p for your snow depth and report and also the others who have sent depths

PLEASE can we have accurate measurements folks-little point in saying its 6 inches if its 6cm and then expecting the forecaster to give a correct prediction down the line eh?

No worries, will mesure again in an hour or so.. is still light snowfall here

Posted

Just been out and measured 7cm's On the drive here in Osgodby and It's started to snow lightly as I type.

Posted

many thanks for that

one other caution folks

John,

Just measured on garden table 5 inches (I'm old lol). This may include about 1 inch of previous snow but I can't tell. Snow started at 5.30 and is still going but much lighter than earlier.

LS29 6 EY

Posted

Judging by the latest gfs and NAE, it wont push south much across this part of the region.

John i know your very very busy, but my friend who is also a forecaster (snowking) aka Kris.

Last night we spotted something and it looks like its a higher chance today of it on the latest charts.

The precip wont move away across the part.

The precipitation/Band down to SW that is near the Bristol channel pushing into the Cheltenham area, will setup a stream from all the way and form to the band over the humber, with energy flowing right through.

Lewis

GFS over much of out region before fizzling out. Not bad :drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

many thanks for that

one other caution folks

it's still falling moderately here, I posted some photos earlier at different times both with depths shown using a ruler. I'll go and check it again in about 30 mins and let you know :drunk:

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Its starting to go light here, so went outside and measured it via a tape measure (dont have a ruler so can't get an accurate measure)

17 - 18cm deep!

The Pennines are great :clap::drunk:

Posted

stopped snowing and the sun is breaking through, not for to long i hope. we have about 1 inch of snow here. are we due more today or can i stop window watching? lol

Posted

5 inches of snow here. Still falling but very light. The village is currently cut off in every direction.

post-1669-12626870474325_thumb.jpg

post-1669-12626870611125_thumb.jpg

post-1669-12626870748225_thumb.jpg

I don't think my weather station is currently recording wind speed or direction..

post-1669-12626870912925_thumb.jpg

Posted

too many pm's to answer every one and for on here

first-many thanks for the info

Lewis

The 06z Extra has a very different story to the ooz which already shows more precip than the NMM

00z Extra=4-5mm

NMM=2-3mm

06z Extra=15mm and lasting into the evening.

I've been a forecaster with UK Met for over 20 years and done 5 years on here and short scale developments such as this are not often but they do occur with models unable to sort out very short distances-their grid length is usually 30-60km although about 10km on fine mesh models so its often back to basic forecasting.

In this case seeing the 06z and 09z chart, seeing the low is deepening, watching the isollobars (places with the same falling pressure), when I get time having a look at sat piccs, radar and upper air data, and forecasting from that.

Currently what I posted earlier I stand by BUT it may need amending by lunch time-I'll do that if necessary.

again thanks all for inputs.

I would like you ALL PLEASE once it stops snowing to send me a pm with the measured depth ON hard ground and your post code.

At some point in the future I will try and do an article about it, with your snow depths, for going into NW perhaps as a video, so any still photos also please.

Posted

Nice result mate biggrin.gif

Thanks, and further snow showers over the coming days, i wonder how long it will all take to melt?

Latest NAE has snow persisting over our region before fizzling out. A cold and frosty night to come.

Posted

It's a difficult one W.E. For me, it's a different situation because I live out in the sticks.

But for those who can walk to school, there shouldn't be a problem getting in.

I didn't think you were that old. For some reason, I'd always assumed you were a teenager :aggressive:

We are not really in town here, although we're just of the A6, there is no high school in Whaley, they go to Chapel 5 miles up the road, so although there may have be a case for keeping them home today, yesterday the roads were clear. Of course I'm a teenager at heart, but unfortunately not in reality our eldest is 23 and I'm heading towards 48.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Started snowing here less than 10 mins ago so pretty much earlier days. Steady moderate snowfall. :aggressive:

Very light snow here now, but an excellent result here. I measured on the wall in three different places, and on the garden table, and we have 11.2cm average snow depth :aggressive:

Posted

0.4cm and melting, and from a totally selfish perspective long may it stay like that, i don't fancy the drive (crawl) home if we got more.

llttle use to me or anyone else H unless you put your town in PLEASE

Edited by johnholmes