Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

Same here. Problem seems to be the roads are getting grid locked early so the bus companies cancelled, which has forced all the schools to close.

Snow status - weare only a couple of inches off one of the markers I used for the pre Christmas snow. Which means its got to be at or about 15 cm's at a minimum now - and its STILL heavy snowing. Wish I had a water proof camera as would make great photos.

it's still heavy snow, just alternating between big flakes and powder!

going to go and check the depth in a moment. Will post a photo to compare from earlier.

The gritters are finally starting to mobilise, seen 2 in the last 10 mins, despite the fact the depot is only a few hundred yards up the road!

Posted
  • Location: Dalton/Thrybergh - Rotherham - South Yorkshire. Check my profile for assistance with legal solutions, family support and academic solutions.
  • Weather Preferences: Live to see snow. Hate summer, LOVE winter
  • Location: Dalton/Thrybergh - Rotherham - South Yorkshire. Check my profile for assistance with legal solutions, family support and academic solutions.

Been snowing heavily in Rotherham for at least an hour now. Got a good couple of inch, and it shows no signs of easing. Loving it :good:

Posted

WOW! What was I worried about. I'd given up last night and was looking forward to the showers. Woke up to a whiteout with 3inches of laying snow! It's still coming down heavy, Schools closed and the main routes here into Scarborough are impassable. Theres a deadly silence!

On the other hand were forecast just light showers now and a max temp of 5C tonight so it won't be around for long. Any thoughts on this?

Pics coming soon :good:

Posted

WOW! What was I worried about. I'd given up last night and was looking forward to the showers. Woke up to a whiteout with 3inches of laying snow! It's still coming down heavy, Schools closed and the main routes here into Scarborough are impassable. Theres a deadly silence!

On the other hand were forecast just light showers now and a max temp of 5C tonight so it won't be around for long. Any thoughts on this?

Pics coming soon :good:

lol 5c max temp? sorry but who does your forecast rofl.

Im glad you have got a lot of snow :D

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!
post-8288-12626811327225_thumb.jpgpost-8288-12626811693925_thumb.jpg well it's been snowing well for about 1hr15 and this is what we have so far..can't find a ruler, estimate around 10 cm allready

Posted

yep - there's no schools open at all around here!

oh my kids headteacher made a decision at 8.45 wen kids already at school! :cold: On the way home now.

Snowing heavy 3cm so far......mi thinks plenty more on its way looking at radar!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

We are still ahead of the main snow band, though we did have a few unexpected showers overnight giving us a light dusting, which is nice. The band itself seems to be making some extremely erratic movements south-east. Almost appears to be pivoting around? Anyone else notice that on the Radar?

Posted

Ref the NMM model

Its already deficient in precip over this area and is thus likely to under-read by a fair amount for today.

Extra shows 8mm for me which is a reasonable estimation in total precip and probably equates to 5-10cm.

The main low is in the N Sea but pressure falls are causing a new centre to start to develop over the Merseyside area-this should track S to SE on present tendencies but I'll monitor it at 09z.

In terms of snowfall-the pictures from Lodge Moor on the high ground west of Sheffield show what areas with any elevation are likely to get over the western half of Yorkshire and Derbyshire-I would expect somewhat less on low ground and the amounts are likely to decrease as you move east. Amounts in the far east-into Lincs are more probably of the order of 2-4cm today but perhaps up to 6cm.

Beyond today then its a case of radar watching even more closely for the showers coming off the N Sea. There is absolutely no sign whatever of any decrease in the cold into the weekend-which is as far as I'm looking in the short range.

The model is predicting my mean temperature to be below zero C throughout the next 5-7 days.

I'm 70 and cannot recall the last time this happened, I've already had the first 4 days, another 7 days would make it 11-pretty unprecedented in the past 30 years or more. Couple, looking out of the window with moderate snow and a visibility of no more than 4-500 metres, which is going to give a minimum of 5-6cm today and it may be back into the 80's for a similar event IF then !!

enjoy-I did promise you all snow-patience for those who may not have much yet you will get it sometime over the next 3-5 days.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

OOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG SNOW HAS STUCK TO EVERYTHING!!!!!

sorry about that lol.

Never seen snow like this in YEARS!

The telephone lines that connect to houses are weighed down by snow! its stuck to everything! its easy 5-6cm already and coming down hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ill get photos up in a mo :)

i wasnt expecting this!!!!!!

Posted

Sheffield has ground to a halt (well just about) First have pulled all busses, reports of accidents allover the place and still the snow falls. Hope it does not pull down the electric cables.. that would be bogus yet a bit exciting too.. God I am loving this weatherpardon.gif

Posted

just listened to radio hull erm humberside, sarah cruddas still talking about sleety mix on the coast and no mention of convective showers coming in on the back of the north easter later?

quite confused, but that isnt difficult!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

ok, still snowing moderately here.

just nipped out and grabbed a few snaps

post-9352-12626825553625_thumb.jpg

post-9352-12626825623125_thumb.jpg

post-9352-12626825699825_thumb.jpg

post-9352-12626825743525_thumb.jpg

post-9352-12626825791325_thumb.jpg

Posted

I have to smile smile.gif nearly all the schools are closed around here apart from those that my kids go to wallbash.gif

Ditto, my middle boy was gutted this morning hehe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Extra shows 8mm for me which is a reasonable estimation in total precip and probably equates to 5-10cm.

The main low is in the N Sea but pressure falls are causing a new centre to start to develop over the Merseyside area-this should track S to SE on present tendencies but I'll monitor it at 09z.

Hi John, does the formation of this second low pressure feature explain why the precipitation band is sort of 'shuffling' east of south John? Or is it more likely to be as a result of the low pressure system in the North sea making slower than expected progress? It certainly seems to be generating some very impressive snow totals over the High ground on the Eastern part of the Southern Pennines.

This winter has already delivered 6 consecutive days of falling snow before Christmas - and three ice days with lying snow so it's been a exceptional winter for me already, regardless of what happens over the next few days. It's one of the reasons why I'm fairly relaxed about what happens next.

Posted

Quite abit of snow here, not seen anything like this in quite a while ... Powdery snow still coming down heavy, say a bout 7-8cm here already and the branches of my very privet are getting weighed down ... first time I've sene the snow sticking and accumulating on the top of the gate etc. ... would take pictures but my usb ports aren't working :whistling: ... Temp is -0.6.