Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

The precip in the channel should give a good indication how heavy the precip should be, as the low strengthens the forcing increases and the front strengthens in turn...

I'm actually just a little wary of what Steve said, the onshore flow really could modify the flow to the wrong side of marginal for a time in S.Essex...keeping an eye on that...

If worst comes to the worse I'm heading to Guildford anyway so should see some good snow on the ground there...

However I suspect as it should start as snow the feedback process should keep it as snow the whole way through...

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

GFS so far strengthens the easterly flow at T-72hrs, has a state of emergency ever been called in the UK regarding the weather? this could get serious, my advice if you can, take the next week off work and make sure you've got lots of food in the house!

http://www.wzkarten3.de/pics/Rtavn721.png

Agreed looking good for south east on friday! , upgrade so far

Posted

Seriously folks, all this talk of when, where and how much will I get, cannot be resolved or even guessed at even at this short range. Situations, models and forecasts are changing minute by minute. You're all going to have to just hang on and see what it brings later.

ever felt you could be doing this.... :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Refer to my previous post...

Still cloudy here and very cold. Murky orangy sky.

Thanks .....seen it now but not sure I like the sound of a 'Nuclear' winter ~ all I want is a some more snow !

Posted

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/united_kingdom.html

Erm that snow is increasing intensity and still moving east , north east :(

it looks like the whole system has grown , and is circulating around itself and producing more precipiation around itself. or maybe i am just reading it wrong.

perhaps a lot of the rain might stay in the channel though and head towards the low countries and not make landfall. ?

Posted

Paul, no that probably is more at sea level itself, for my location though I tend to find in those 50-50 set-ups my location tends to fall on the wrong side of marginal more often then not...

Saying that as I said before I think this time is a little different as it should start as snow and I'd imagine once that starts to settle that'll help to surpress temps down somewhat just to the right side...as I said though once the second front comes through that shouldn't be an issue for us.

Posted

it looks like the whole system has grown , and is circulating around itself and producing more precipiation around itself. or maybe i am just reading it wrong.

perhaps a lot of the rain might stay in the channel though and head towards the low countries and not make landfall. ?

I think the rain is only on the coasts though?

Posted

I hope I am West enough and far South enough to have some decent snow!:(:(

Although, would be grateful if it could wait until after 10pm tonight, I need to come to St Albans tonight and it's something I can't miss!!!!!

I know - can't please everyone!!!!! :(

Guest FireStorm

New text forecast from the Met (Issued 14:29Z)

WEDNESDAY:

LOW PRESSURE CENTED NEAR SOUTHAMPTON AT 00Z WILL SLOWLY MOVE SSE

DURING THE DAY, WITH ITS ASSOCIATED WRAP-AROUND OCCLUSION. THIS WILL

GIVE PERSISTENT SN, LOC HVY WITH ISOL EMBD TS/CB, ACROSS MUCH OF S

ENGLAND. THE SN GRADUALLY MOVING AWAY TOWARDS THE SE DURING THE

AFTERNOON AND EVENING. SCT/BKN ST, BKN CUSC AND BKN/OVC ACAS IN

ASSOCIATION WITH FRONTAL ZONE. WIND N-NE LIGHT TO MOD, OCNL STRONG

IN N AND W OF FRONTAL ZONE.good.gif

Isolated embedded Thunderstorms / Cumulinimbus???? Thundersnow? mother nature is really wanting to throw her wrath at the UK this winter. I honestly cant keep up.

KoldWeather - With regards to the NAE moving everything slightly further East, I noticed you made this call in the model discussion thread yesterday and NAE is backing you up today. A Very brave call and well done to you. I Hope it verifies

Posted

Although, would be grateful if it could wait until after 10pm tonight, I need to come to St Albans tonight and it's something I can't miss!!!!!

I know - can't please everyone!!!!! :good:

It depends what time it hits! You might get stuck in wonderful St. Albans!:)

Posted

i thought it was only 15 cm in the feb 09 event - certainly where i live it maxed out at 15-20cm. are you sure you didnt measure a drift : )

We had 21cm just around the corner from you Jimmy. I do recall watching the radar in the wee hours that mornig and seeing the heaviest ppn moving right across central London for the longest period so I wouldn't rule it out if caught early.

Edited by tasty_snacks

Posted

GFS so far strengthens the easterly flow at T-72hrs, has a state of emergency ever been called in the UK regarding the weather? this could get serious, my advice if you can, take the next week off work and make sure you've got lots of food in the house!

do you mean this Nick?

....aren't we all still waiting for the inevitable downgrade? :good:

Posted

The precip in the channel should give a good indication how heavy the precip should be, as the low strengthens the forcing increases and the front strengthens in turn...

I'm actually just a little wary of what Steve said, the onshore flow really could modify the flow to the wrong side of marginal for a time in S.Essex...keeping an eye on that...

If worst comes to the worse I'm heading to Guildford anyway so should see some good snow on the ground there...

However I suspect as it should start as snow the feedback process should keep it as snow the whole way through...

So could we be cursing an Easterly wind? Is that what you mean?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Is it just me, or is the postcode zoom on NW radar not working?

Posted

Hello to all,

Does anyone know how much snow ill get in harrow (NW London). Will i get the predicted 25cm or more and do you think my school will be off :good:

Thanks to all! :)

No idea on depth.

School tomorrow, unlikely.

Posted

We had 21cm just around the corner from you Jimmy. I do recall watching the radar in the wee hours that mornig and seeing the heaviest ppn moving right across central London for the longest period.

it was a good fall of snow!

so if we get 20cm off this one, twice inside a year - that's pretty good for London!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

http://www.wzkarten3.de/pics/Rtavn1021.png

Bitter in the east and south east , well into saturday aswell!

I'd expect warnings for this come wednesday late

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

nothing at all here in Milton Keynes...suspect we are about to miss out again:)

It's early days yet, lot's of people are still waiting for it to snow, you may have a surprise later ! Have you not noticed the dark clouds coming over from a W / SW direction, they could well give us something, it's certainly cold enough !

Hey there,

Been lurking here for the past couple of days, waiting to see if the snow "cometh".

Just came in from a quick and cold run!

Just thought I'd let you know what's happening on the other side of the channel (I'm based in Calais at the moment). It's snowing fairly heavily (Started about 1545hrs local) and there is a good covering building up already (Maybe 1cm). No signs of it stopping either.

Regards,

Craig P.

Posted

Local paper: Foot-and-a-half of snow overnight!!!:D 10 inches, also my Girl friend says her boss told her that 10 inches overnight tonight and she says people were panick buying today!:yahoo: So people around here think 10 inches will fall!:drunk: Could it really?:D

http://www.stalbansreview.co.uk/news/4834499.More_than_a_foot_and_a_half_of_snow_expected_overnight/

Edited by saint