Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I doubt I'll stay at work all day in Brentwood tomorrow by the looks of that lot. Still plenty of scope for the worst to shift around a bit....

Posted

Afternoon all, Looks great for this evening. I have a feeling that the low will shift east a little bit more with our region coming into play so to speak. Still, London, Essex and Kent looks to do well out of this. I'd hazard a guess at anywhere from 2-6 inches of snowfall across the southeast with the way things are currently looking however like Iv'e said, if the low shifts further east then we could be looking at totals nearer the 30cm mark.

Posted

i want to go to town for my birthday tonight do you think it will be ok before 11 or 12?

Are you 18? :drunk:

Seriously folks, all this talk of when, where and how much will I get, cannot be resolved or even guessed at even at this short range. Situations, models and forecasts are changing minute by minute. You're all going to have to just hang on and see what it brings later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

used to live on the top of that hill....will be immense up there!

Where'd you live cat? Stansted, west kingsdown?

Posted

Wouldn't rely too much on the GFS...I'm expecting next to nothing here in MK. This system seems to be am M4/M3 area event initially then moving WSW. I think we will be too far north to see much from this system...hope I'm wrong though :drunk:

Posted

Are you 18? :drunk:

Seriously folks, all this talk of when, where and how much will I get, cannot be resolved or even guessed at even at this short range. Situations, models and forecasts are changing minute by minute. You're all going to have to just hang on and see what it brings later.

no 21 but dont want to get stuck in town

Posted

FWIW Steve does make a good point in that an onshore wind may just lift temps a little near the Estuary, esp further east you go where the mouth of the Thames is wider so SE Essex could well see a wintry mix if the precip isn't strong enough, Of course I suspect the precip's strength will help to make the differece in this set-up.

Posted

Where'd you live cat? Stansted, west kingsdown?

vigo village...used to have snow days in trosley country park when schools were closed sledging on the downs in the 80's 2 min walk from my house....was the best! probably where my love of snow came from eh!

Posted

Exactly, get yourselves a Netweather radar subscription then spend the next 9 hours guessing will it, won't it.. it's far more fun :drunk:

Posted

Wouldn't rely too much on the GFS...I'm expecting next to nothing here in MK. This system seems to be am M4/M3 area event initially then moving WSW. I think we will be too far north to see much from this system...hope I'm wrong though :drunk:

Don't worry, you are wrong :drunk:

Posted

23cm measured just off Oxford Street in February 2009

i thought it was only 15 cm in the feb 09 event - certainly where i live it maxed out at 15-20cm. are you sure you didnt measure a drift : )

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/united_kingdom.html

Erm that snow is increasing intensity and still moving east , north east :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Hammer: I did move here 3 years ago, and yes it is the dry part of the U.K. best place in the summer mind you. . Iam down beat, as for the past few days everybody on here is talking about the big event. Just look at the radar, its not all blue is it and not wide , more like heavy showers. And now its being repoert that rain is falling along the south coast...Like I have said..wait for the north easterly streamers...SNOW ON !!!!!!!

reported where? not here, been just snow showers on Eastbourne coast.

Posted

FWIW Steve does make a good point in that an onshore wind may just lift temps a little near the Estuary, esp further east you go where the mouth of the Thames is wider so SE Essex could well see a wintry mix if the precip isn't strong enough, Of course I suspect the precip's strength will help to make the differece in this set-up.

Lol Not at 76m ASL Surely - Maybe down at Sea Level yes but the Zero Degree Isotherm should fall rapidly if any marginality exists

Posted

So the ppn has upgraded, but now theres a concern over the nature of the ppn, IMBY! :drinks:

On another note, heres the snow accumulation chart. This is how it may look by 12z Thurs. You can clearly see the sweet area to the S & W of London. Looking very little further N in our region though :good:

10010712_0512.gif

Posted

GFS so far strengthens the easterly flow at T-72hrs, has a state of emergency ever been called in the UK regarding the weather? this could get serious, my advice if you can, take the next week off work and make sure you've got lots of food in the house!

Posted

i thought it was only 15 cm in the feb 09 event - certainly where i live it maxed out at 15-20cm. are you sure you didnt measure a drift : )

About 24cm nr Woking, Surrey

post-1641-12627067432352_thumb.jpg