Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Is it just me, or is the postcode zoom on NW radar not working?

its not working

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Latest update from Ian Ferguson on the SW thread, looks promising for that easterly shift: rolleyes.gif

"Quick update from work - new NAE just arrived now wants to focus worst snowfall (20cm +) out of westcountry by around 50NM northeast, into Berks, Surrey and Bucks, including threatening Heathrow.

Some degree of wrap around back for parts of Wilts / Glos / Bristol / Bath areas around midnight onwards to 06Z in new run but I can't see the original totals being attained for our districts, frankly. I believe UKMO now considering amendments to the current flash warning to cater for new run.

About to hold conference call with UKMO so will hear the composite viewpoint soon. "

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Rain right on the south coast is turning to snow aswell now :drunk:

Posted

LS

Most parts of Leigh towards Broadway are over 60m asl so marginality mostly favours snow, even a few years back between Xmas and New Year we had purely snow with temps @ 3c and Dp's @ 0c, after driving down the A127 Down the hill towards Bas Vegas it was raining solidly!

Remember Bread & Cheese Hill along the Old A13 Is about 100ft from bottom (Benfleet) to Top (Thundersley) :drunk:

If the precip gets here then it is game on!

Paul S

Local paper: Foot-and-a-half of snow overnight!!!:D 10 inches, also my Girl friend says her boss told her that 10 inches overnight tonight and she says people were panick buying today!:yahoo: So people around here think 10 inches will fall!:drunk: Could it really?:D

http://www.stalbansreview.co.uk/news/4834499.More_than_a_foot_and_a_half_of_snow_expected_overnight/

Where is your location?

Posted

it was a good fall of snow!

so if we get 20cm off this one, twice inside a year - that's pretty good for London!

Was one of the very few occasions in history when Central London did better than some of the outlying areas mainly because it settled from the very start.

That said to the south of Centre was even more impressive. Brixton area had almost 30cm and parts of Croydon area were 40cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Hey there,

Been lurking here for the past couple of days, waiting to see if the snow "cometh".

Just came in from a quick and cold run!

Just thought I'd let you know what's happening on the other side of the channel (I'm based in Calais at the moment). It's snowing fairly heavily (Started about 1545hrs local) and there is a good covering building up already (Maybe 1cm). No signs of it stopping either.

Regards,

Craig P.

Thanks for that Craig and welcome to the site! Always handy to get updates from the other side.

its not working

Is that to reduce bandwidth? Will have to resort to the Met Offics test radar for London then.

Link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weatherradar/

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted

It's early days yet, lot's of people are still waiting for it to snow, you may have a surprise later ! Have you not noticed the dark clouds coming over from a W / SW direction, they could well give us something, it's certainly cold enough !

my sea weed says snow is coming to the area :drunk:

Posted

Latest update from Ian Ferguson on the SW thread, looks promising for that easterly shift: rolleyes.gif

"Quick update from work - new NAE just arrived now wants to focus worst snowfall (20cm +) out of westcountry by around 50NM northeast, into Berks, Surrey and Bucks, including threatening Heathrow.

Some degree of wrap around back for parts of Wilts / Glos / Bristol / Bath areas around midnight onwards to 06Z in new run but I can't see the original totals being attained for our districts, frankly. I believe UKMO now considering amendments to the current flash warning to cater for new run.

About to hold conference call with UKMO so will hear the composite viewpoint soon. "

very intresting, good to have a bbc man in the forums, thx for re-posting that

Posted

Local paper: Foot-and-a-half of snow overnight!!!:D 10 inches, also my Girl friend says her boss told her that 10 inches overnight tonight and she says people were panick buying today!:yahoo: So people around here think 10 inches will fall!:drunk: Could it really?:D

http://www.stalbansreview.co.uk/news/4834499.More_than_a_foot_and_a_half_of_snow_expected_overnight/

i always think that the best snow comes from those events that aren't "forecast". once people start panic buying you can almost be guaranteed that it will be a "non event"... i hope not, but there is a little of the "Daily Express" syndrome about this event now, people outdoing each other with scary snow depth projections, etc.

believe me, i hope it comes true and we get a couple of feet of snow, but..... now even Gordon Brown's got in on the act, its bound to not snow!

(BBC) the National Grid issued a gas balancing alert (GBA) for only the second time, asking power suppliers to use less gas as more was sourced overseas.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown denied the UK was facing a gas supply crisis, adding: "There are always difficulties when we have a long spell of bad weather."

Edited by jimmyay

Posted

Latest on Thurs/Fri/Sat from met office is 'Very unstable Easterly with bands of snow reaching the Midlands'

Tonight's models show the holy grail for the South-Easterners... the most unstable Easterly I've seen and at close range!

Posted

I would expect the remaining yellows (Eg Kent, Essex, Sussex and others to now go Orange) in the next few hours!

Paul S

Posted

Isolated embedded Thunderstorms / Cumulinimbus???? Thundersnow? mother nature is really wanting to throw her wrath at the UK this winter. I honestly cant keep up.

KoldWeather - With regards to the NAE moving everything slightly further East, I noticed you made this call in the model discussion thread yesterday and NAE is backing you up today. A Very brave call and well done to you. I Hope it verifies

Kold did well predict this further East but how far will it get, just anothe 20- 30 miles and bang, wow. Again well done Kold was on here with you until 3.30 am discussing further East movement.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Latest on Thurs/Fri/Sat from met office is 'Very unstable Easterly with bands of snow reaching the Midlands'

Tonight's models show the holy grail for the South-Easterners... the most unstable Easterly I've seen and at close range!

Ocean Transit i'd just like to say thankyou for all these constant updates!

Posted

:drinks::drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Hi all, just stopped raining in Portsmouth, still fairly cold but brightening skies.

Posted

Local paper: Foot-and-a-half of snow overnight!!!:drinks: 10 inches, also my Girl friend says her boss told her that 10 inches overnight tonight and she says people were panick buying today!:lol: So people around here think 10 inches will fall!:lol: Could it really?:drinks:

Perhaps her boss has shares in the Supermarkets where the panic buying was taking place. I'd think 10 inches is unlikely. Although certainly there is that feeling it is going to hit some places that perhaps were not expecting it to be quite so bad due to a slight move eastwards re the bullseye zone.

Posted

do you mean this Nick?

....aren't we all still waiting for the inevitable downgrade? :drinks:

I'm seriously not joking! the ukmo now at 96hrs and a very strong ene flow, it's almost a perfect set up for huge convection off the North Sea with very cold upper air. Still waiting for 120 and 144hrs to come out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Thats fantastic news for us. Now even west London coming into the danger zone. A slight movement east and all of London could get a dumping. Its also looking great for Surrey, Berkshire, Bedfordshire, possibly Hertfordshire....and then later on E & W Sussex and Kent, and maybe more northern parts of Essex later on Wednesday.

Edited by danm

Posted

Kold did well predict this further East but how far will it get, just anothe 20- 30 miles and bang, wow. Again well done Kold was on here with you until 3.30 am discussing further East movement.

I think us in Herts have a more chance again, the further west you are the better though!

Posted

LS

Most parts of Leigh towards Broadway are over 60m asl so marginality mostly favours snow, even a few years back between Xmas and New Year we had purely snow with temps @ 3c and Dp's @ 0c, after driving down the A127 Down the hill towards Bas Vegas it was raining solidly!

Remember Bread & Cheese Hill along the Old A13 Is about 100ft from bottom (Benfleet) to Top (Thundersley) :drinks:

If the precip gets here then it is game on!

Paul S

Hi Paul,

Cheers for that.

Unfortunately I no longer live in Leigh (Used to live down Flemming Ave, off London Rd, nr Westleigh School) I now live in Southend, well Southchurch actually. So not at sea level but can only be about 20-30m asl?

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

I'm seriously not joking! the ukmo now at 96hrs and a very strong ene flow, it's almost a perfect set up for huge convection off the North Sea with very cold upper air. Still waiting for 120 and 144hrs to come out.

Does that mean Norfolk/Norwich may get some action?