Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Well a pleasant suprise, suddenly started snowing quite heavily out of nowhere its gone much lighter now but still a fair bit coming down almost blizzard like conditions at times when the wind picks up.

Hopefully more heavier stuff to come looking at the radar.

P.S. Seen the sight of the day, a couple walking up the street with ski sticks and a husky lol.

Posted

The bands further north maybe bring a bit more, difficult to know whether they will fade or intensify.

A few people have spoken about Sunday, this is the METO simplistic take on it atm. So a possibility and something to be watched.

post-6326-12627773363752_thumb.png

Posted

The bands further north maybe bring a bit more, difficult to know whether they will fade or intensify.

A few people have spoken about Sunday, this is the METO simplistic take on it atm. So a possibility and something to be watched.

Yes i've heard alot of people say about snow at the weekend, but iv'e been looking at the charts and i can't see where its going to come from? unless a surface low is going to develop in the easterly?

Posted

Gah I have exams on monday. Part of me wants to have them postponed to get more revision done, whereas the other just wants them out the way. Can't it be a bit earlier so i don't have to go to work on friday or saturday?

Hmmm it is only the MetOffice that have that view, Netweather can't see it either.

Edited by sabrina2090

Posted

could be the first of many top ups :p

Posted

over an inch in poole now. coming down heavier and the net weather radar shows some intense snow coming, maybe 4 inches or more perhaps?

Really?? That would be great. Would that be coming from the second band which is behind the one giving us our heavy snow now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Almost a blizzard now in Gloucester :p

Theres more on its way over the next few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

Am I right to think that this is coming from the east along the coast. I thought the low was supposed to move south east?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Yes i've heard alot of people say about snow at the weekend, but iv'e been looking at the charts and i can't see where its going to come from? unless a surface low is going to develop in the easterly?

I think its one for Ian to answer whens hes not snowed in and under at work.

The Spotlight forecast this morning was going for it, and the long range on Radio Devon (don't normally listen, but with travel its quite good!) So I guess the Met Office are fairly confident of something happening. Basically its going to be an easterly wind picking up moisture in the English Channel and then snowing in Devon, I can't comment on other counties because they only went into Devon on the forecasts)

On a seperate note, Devon-Nelly, do you have a radar shot of South Devon handy?

Posted

Just got home with the dog, 6-8 inches in fields this is the most and deepest snowfall iv'e seen in over 20yrs.

Snowing moderatley againcold.gif

Posted

HUGE flakes here in glos.

Posted

Close to blizzard like conditions round here at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

Am I right to think that this is coming from the east along the coast. I thought the low was supposed to move south east?

The low is moving south(ish) but the bands of precip in the rotation of the low are currently moving west across the region.

Posted

We seem to be getting it coming in from the south east and north, its like its pushing into a vacum from both directions lots of snow all around the east dorset coast now

This different to what was forcast. I am sure the low was supposed to move south east. Please let me know if I am wrong about this.

Posted

Is it heading south towards BTL?

I dont think so, Looks like south wales. Its possible that it will head south as the low moves south. ( unless the low heads north again )

Posted

The low is moving south(ish) but the bands of precip in the rotation of the low are currently moving west across the region.

Thanks. Is that what was forcast?

Posted

I think its one for Ian to answer whens hes not snowed in and under at work.

The Spotlight forecast this morning was going for it, and the long range on Radio Devon (don't normally listen, but with travel its quite good!) So I guess the Met Office are fairly confident of something happening. Basically its going to be an easterly wind picking up moisture in the English Channel and then snowing in Devon, I can't comment on other counties because they only went into Devon on the forecasts)

On a seperate note, Devon-Nelly, do you have a radar shot of South Devon handy?

Only the meto radar

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/sw_latest_radar.html

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

I would have put the snapshots up but it goes abit funny, but heres the links anyhows if they are helpfull.

Well i'd happily take more heavy snow at the weekend drinks.gif still chucking it down with light snow was almost a full on blizzard before however its not settling very well sad.gif .

EDIT: A thaw is setting in nowclosedeyes.gif .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

This different to what was forcast. I am sure the low was supposed to move south east. Please let me know if I am wrong about this.

No you're not wrong, the forecast clearly said the low would move off to the east through the day. In fact it sunk south which we why we under the rotation at the moment. We just need the low to stall or move a little bit west and we should stay under the feed of snow.

Posted

No you're not wrong, the forecast clearly said the low would move off to the east through the day. In fact it sunk south which we why we under the rotation at the moment. We just need the low to stall or move a little bit west and we should stay under the feed of snow.

Prediciting the movement of these systems is clearly very difficult. Yesterday wrong, today wrong.