Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I was going to take tape measure with me,lol....but i might get locked up lol..

Farm shop Hatherley.....road area is 6-8inches

my garden 5-6 inches

mnust be bad on the hill..

not going to go up there myself.tooooo shattered

Edited by dogs32

Posted

The question is how far south can it get.

It may get stuck 50miles or so north of the current lower band and then rotate around it.

Will just have to watch this one,

whats so frustrating to see though is that the heaviest of all this is over the sea off the west coast and its all being wasted on sum bloody fishing trawler out there lol:wallbash:

Posted

A very nice looking cover of snow here at around 4cm when I measured it on the gate post. Very nice with everything covered!

This is actually the best snow I have seen in this small village where I live as we have had some very bad luck up until now!

Started snowing lightly again 10 mins ago getting a little bit heavier and it looks like there is a bit more to come! :D:)

Posted

We've got a good 6 inches here and still snowing! Several neighbours have gone to work anyway and the

local farmer has been up and down the main road with his snowplough. Not too bad as temp 0.1c BUT

tonight everything will freeze and the morning will be MUCH worse.

Kids loving it though, no school today, not even any buses or school buses! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

OK just been out to measure it properly, it's 10cm on the level.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Paul T:

More snow likely here then? east Dartmoor? It is definately snowing over on the hills towards Exeter (as I can see them (well I can't, which means snow)) and it does seem to be moving very very slowly this way!

Posted

Still snowing heavily, as long as it doesn't disappear, it looks like 2-4 hrs of moderate snow for south dorset, maybe some heavy snow as well in that.

Currently still moderate snow here but quite windy. It seems to be falling at approx 2 to 3 cm a hr atm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

up to Daisy Bank area....Lecky....

and Shurdington..

havent realy slept to be honest....up every 2 hrs watching the heavy snow

left around 5.am this morning to take pics

Good on you!

I went to bed at about 4am, and didn't wake up til about 930. I'm going to walk up into the Cotswolds later, and see what the depths are like + get some snowy pictures. I'm back at 6th form with an exam on 11th, so I feel like I'm going to have catching up to do later in terms of both revision and sleep! But I'll enjoy it while it lasts. We both know how rare snow is in Cheltenham.

PS What a lovely feeling that the thaw will be minimal! Last year I remember by the evening it was all a slushy mess. But thick snow with no hint of that dreaded word marginality: :D

Posted

Just took the dogs out, and we have a good inch here and everythings white near enough even the trees.

Been snowing very lightly on and off the past hour im hoping the temp will stay at freezing till some more possible snow arrives.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Actually snowing outside now.Hope it isn't a let down again and fizzles out within a minute

Posted

Nice one! Where abouts do you work? Wondering what the story will be tomorrow due to the overnight freeze!?

I'm at Frenchay.

I think we can expect a major freeze tonight like you say, but I wouldn't be surprised if they open tomorrow. Shame the ppn is dying out to nothing. The plus side is there is no-one there to tread it all away. If the buses are still not running tomorrow and the major roads around are still bad then I think we have a chance at another day off - but I'm not counting on it. Might be a nice surprise though?

Posted

Well ive been out and had a proper look here in the back garden (which is a bit sheltered) and theres 16cm with some light snow still to come

I imagine the more open areas nearer the racecourse will have nearer 20cm

Cleeve hill - i'd love to imagine! Will head up there a bit later

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, inc Snow and Wind

Still snowing heavily, as long as it doesn't disappear, it looks like 2-4 hrs of moderate snow for south dorset, maybe some heavy snow as well in that.

Currently still moderate snow here but quite windy. It seems to be falling at approx 2 to 3 cm a hr atm

Looking at the latest Meto Radar (9am), I am hopefull.

There is an area of moderate precipitation moving almost due west along the south coast, lets hope it falls as snow!

If anyone has the netweather radar, maybe they can tell me where the precip is now.

Thanks

Dave

Posted

Good on you!

I went to bed at about 4am, and didn't wake up til about 930. I'm going to walk up into the Cotswolds later, and see what the depths are like + get some snowy pictures. I'm back at 6th form with an exam on 11th, so I feel like I'm going to have catching up to do later in terms of both revision and sleep! But I'll enjoy it while it lasts. We both know how rare snow is in Cheltenham.

PS What a lovely feeling that the thaw will be minimal! Last year I remember by the evening it was all a slushy mess. But thick snow with no hint of that dreaded word marginality: :drinks:

get some good pics...

Im too knackered now to go up Crickley.....Im going to hibernate for the rest of the winter :lol:

Posted

There is an area of moderate precipitation moving almost due west along the south coast, lets hope it falls as snow!

If anyone has the netweather radar, maybe they can tell me where the precip is now.

Thanks

Dave

hi, looks like it will be with u any minute

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, inc Snow and Wind

Actually snowing outside now.Hope it isn't a let down again and fizzles out within a minute

Hi Snow,

I am in Canford Heath and it is not snowing, the cloud does seem to be getting darker though.

Fingers crossed we can get a covering!

Posted

Thanks

Dave

moderate snow heading into east of christchurch and extends miles towards portsmouth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

We have about 10 cm's here. We are going to walk up as near as possible to Cleeve hill later to get some photos. I daren't go in the car ,don't fancy sliding everywhere espicially down that hill from Winchcombe Lol (mustn't laugh really,it's certainly no fun when yer car is slipping and sliding down a long steep hill)

Posted

Thanks

Dave

I am a couple of miles west of Portsmouth right on the coast and it is falling as heavy snow.

L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Got some measured snow depths - up by the house its 6-8cm level and further up the garden where its less sheltered 13- 15cm level snow and still light flurries of snow. Looking at the radar though the push of PPN westwards is just a little too south for us unfortunately.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

There is a hefty band of snow to the north east and west of here, I take it thats going to slip south and west? If so could be a pretty interesting day (on the basis that I already can't get to work)

Of more interest is the oil we ordered for delivery today isn't likely to come... and we are nearly out. Error.