Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It is possible these places can have -12C and these falls, because basically theyre in areas that aren't surrounded, Manchester AP is quite rural so it doesn't get the benefits of urban modification, whereas Liverpool AP does.

Posted

You could have a point Backtrack, maybe they cleared the snow off the top of the stations and that would account for the sharp rises between 22:30 and 23:00!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I'm sure I read it somewhere but apparently that isn't the record..this is:

Fastest temperature rise: 27 °C (49 °F) in 2 minutes; Spearfish, South Dakota, 1943-01-22

Fastest temperature drop: 26 °C (47 °F) in 15 minutes; Rapid City, South Dakota, 1911-01-10

So not as big a drop but you know it just shows whats possible!

Cool! :)

The drop doesnt surprise me - it's in the highest point in the rocky mountains where it was recorded. :)

Posted

It is possible these places can have -12C and these falls, because basically theyre in areas that aren't surrounded, Manchester AP is quite rural so it doesn't get the benefits of urban modification, whereas Liverpool AP does.

It's more the sudden rise after plummeting that's puzzling me. There is nothing to prevent the temperature from continuing to fall tonight. The sky is completely clear, there is snow cover and little wind. My own weather station has been falling gradually as opposed to having these sudden rises and falls.

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

I'm sure I read it somewhere but apparently that isn't the record..this is:

Fastest temperature rise: 27 °C (49 °F) in 2 minutes; Spearfish, South Dakota, 1943-01-22

Fastest temperature drop: 26 °C (47 °F) in 15 minutes; Rapid City, South Dakota, 1911-01-10

So not as big a drop but you know it just shows whats possible!

"Rapid" City - :) I like it

Posted

If you run the met office sat photos over the last few hours, it looks like the low over Northern Scotland is moving south, but the Low off Denmark is just rotating around its central axis with no vertical movement.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It's more the sudden rise after plummeting that's puzzling me. There is nothing to prevent the temperature from continuing to fall tonight. The sky is completely clear, there is snow cover and little wind. My own weather station has been falling gradually as opposed to having these sudden rises and falls.

My location is also getting these sudden falls and sudden rises, it's simply down to very light breezes picking up from time to time. My temperature just rose again and now it's on the fall.

Posted

-4.9c

Like i said, they are probably covered in snow - There is no way it is even close to -11c in Manchester. It can't just go from -9c to -11c in 30 mins (xc weather updates)

I'm sorry - But they are false readings.

Why sound so sure when you are not?

We have the deepest snow cover since 1981. There is no wind. We have cold air aloft.

Believe me, it could easily be -11C in Manchester. I've just got back from the pub and I nearly turned into an icicle.

Posted

The temperatures will be correct. Both Woodford and Manchester Airport are rural.

I no longer have a working sensor but my computer widget says its -9 here, has been at -9 for a couple of hours.

Its usually fairly believable. Presumably it picks the nearest weather stations most recent update. Funnily enough it seems to fluctuate at times so not sure how it all works. I'm about 5 miles from the Airport and probably 8 miles at a guess from Woodford.

Edited by Bartlett Low

Posted

Anyone else suspicious of the readings at Woodford and Manchester Airport? It definitely hasn't been anywhere near -15C in my location and I'm only about 10 miles away, if that. I'm dubious about the very sudden drop at Manchester Airport and then the sudden dramatic rise. I can't remember witnessing anything like it before.

If you're in the conurbation of Manchester, believe me, the conditions at Ringway can be very different.

It has little to no influence from the UHI effect and is itself a bit of a frost hollow.

I can easily believe it is -11C at Manchester Airport. You only have to look at the amount of snow we have, look at the fact we have no wind, and look at our current airmass.

All the ingredients are there.

Posted

Woah no way, it's now -3.8c....

There is no way the slightest breeze can kick the temp up 1c is less than 10 mins!!!

Posted

On the slide here again, -4.8C and dropping fast but as soon as that breeze comes again it'll respond (maybe)

That goes to prove that this level of cold is purely initiated by the snow, if it wasn't I'd only be on -1C at the moment.

Posted

Its just gone from -4.1c to -4.4c in less than a minute - This truly is really cool to watch. :)

-4.6c :)

-4.4c :)

-4.4c :)

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

-5.0C now, -10C is easily within reach! Especially given 6-7 hours more cooling.

If the temperature record here isn't broken tonight it will be broken tomorrow!

Posted

-4.7c :(

-5.0C now, -10C is easily within reach! Especially given 6-7 hours more cooling.

If the temperature record here isn't broken tonight it will be broken tomorrow!

Stephen, is your record a personal recording?

If not, where do you get your info? I wouldn't mind seeing what my record is!

-4.8c :(

Posted

-4.4c GRRR!! stupid breeze :l sod off.

-4.4c and im off to bed, hopefully a -10c by morning. Night all.

Posted

If you're in the conurbation of Manchester, believe me, the conditions at Ringway can be very different.

It has little to no influence from the UHI effect and is itself a bit of a frost hollow.

I can easily believe it is -11C at Manchester Airport. You only have to look at the amount of snow we have, look at the fact we have no wind, and look at our current airmass.

All the ingredients are there.

All good points, I'm in Denton so definitely more urban than Manchester Airport.

Posted

-4.7c :(

Stephen, is your record a personal recording?

If not, where do you get your info? I wouldn't mind seeing what my record is!

-4.8c :(

No the all time record comes from my local library, which has the records for Telegraph (Heswall) Weather Station which is now disused.

My personal record is -5.7C, which will be beaten tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Confirmed report from manchester airport weather station

at 0120 temp -13c DP -15ccold.gif

C.S

Posted

Im getting a Temp of -13 for Macclesfield can that be right? i take it Macclesfield comes under Woodford?

Sounds like you're getting the reading for Manchester Airport. Woodford, incredibly, is -15.3C right now. A record surely???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

OMG if anyone is still up look at the PL just about to make landfall off the east coastshok.gif

were the hell is that heading someone in for a pasting wow the satalite picture is

Absolouty amazing

sorry at work so cannot provide a link

C.S

Posted

OMG if anyone is still up look at the PL just about to make landfall off the east coastshok.gif

were the hell is that heading someone in for a pasting wow the satalite picture is

Absolouty amazing

sorry at work so cannot provide a link

C.S

polar low??????????? was this even forecast?!!!

Edited by ISAAC