Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

For a cold weather freak like me, tonight is a real joy! Several degrees below 0 and powder snow evrywhere!

We have plenty of nights like tonight to enjoy and see how low the temperatures get. Until the easterly develops and snow comes from the east by the end of the weekend!

Heaven!

Karyo

only -3C in Manchester city centre?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

only -3C in Manchester city centre?

SP

Airport reading is -10 why would there be a big difference within 10 miles

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I would like to note how much the type of snow has changed around here, it was easy to make snowballs/snowmen yesterday, today it is really powdery and doesnt stick together, VERY hard to make a snowball!

Still over 8 inches on the grass. :)

Also school is closed again tomorrow. :)

Posted

Yes, proper snow! Whilst the dog walk was very cold, I had on my ski jacket, big furry hat, thick gloves, walking boots etc. I love it when the snow creaks and crunches under foot, not the usual slushy splash that we normally get.

I tried to make a few snowballs for the dog to chase, but the snow is too cold, its just powder. Also, the pavements are easier to walk on this evening. The ice seems to loose some of its slippiness at these temps.

Don't the dogs just love the snow? Ours were either eating it or rolling in it! (Or turning it yellow.... :) )

Our snow has gone a little harder here and some of the roads are very shiny with the ice. Grit would have no impact now...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

SP

Airport reading is -10 why would there be a big difference within 10 miles

C.S

Its just Karyo said it was several degrees below freezing - several denotes three so I'm just wondering whether it was -3C or -7C he meant.

Of course Manchester AP is in the countryside - I had a fieldtrip there with University - that day it was below freezing too.

Posted

The sun will still melt some of the snow though. Even at -2, the influence of the sun's own temperature will be above 0C - the drips will refreeze as soon as the suns influence is lost though.

There wasn't much melt around here today! Even the trees have still snow on them.

Karyo

Posted

Its just Karyo said it was several degrees below freezing - several denotes three so I'm just wondering whether it was -3C or -7C he meant.

Of course Manchester AP is in the countryside - I had a fieldtrip there with University - that day it was below freezing too.

Oh, I said several because I couldn't be asked to look at the thermometer! lol

It is -7c here. It was already -2c when I left work at 5pm!

Tomorrow should be subzero here all day!

Karyo

Posted

Its like an arms race now though, Benson now -15C - it's as if the stations are attempting to outdo each other!

Karyo, there was a fair bit of roof melt today here but as for ground cover melt, very little

Posted

-9c at Manc Airport now, boooh!

Blimey, at that temp the snow will of melted in no time! :cold:

-4.2c here - Plummeting again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Down to -8.2°C now, hopefully -10°C at least by morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

-6.5c DP -9c

i think the snow is not done for our area, for the next 4 days or so. plenty more surprises to come im sure

and bone chilling nights and days.

Posted

I can confirm it's -8 dew point here but only -3.7C here in Manchester Salford, still falling though. Anyone noticed the red blob to our north? Somebody local must be getting a pasting!

The radar is mis-reading, there isnt a cloud in the sky for the Northwest atm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Yeah just a bit of anaprop.

Posted

Yeah just a bit of anaprop.

What the heck is anaprop? :good:

-4.1c here now.

Posted

Temperature is really startng to fall fast again now! GFS suggests there will be another slight rise with the temperature at 3am, whether that happens remains to be seen. I doubt it myself and -5C before 1am is very very possible here.

-5.7C in the record for the last 15 years set last winter in December, this will be beaten tonight, but by how much is the question

Posted

Some insanely low temperatures tonight. -15C at Woodford?!

And how's it only -2C at Liverpool AP? I'm in South Liverpool right now and it's absolutely freezing.

Still no buses running, and my housemate's friend can't fly back to France because EasyJet haven't cleared their planes of ice. Never known chaos like it. Can I get to work over in the Wirral tomorrow?

Posted

What the heck is anaprop? :D

-4.1c here now.

Backtrack, don't forget to take your fairy lights down before midnight. You don't want bad luck do you? All your snow might melt over night..... :good:

Posted

What the heck is anaprop? :lol:

-4.1c here now.

ANAPROP - ANomAlous PROPagation - when radar microwaves are refracted by things like inversions down to the ground, and are then reflected back to the dish - as far as the radar is concerned, something is there, and so it displays it as a return, but it is not precip.

Posted

I'm just astonished by these temps that have been recorded. I'm normally no fan of cold weather but even I'm excited by this spell. Does Manchester Airport still have a chance of breaking its all time record? That was -13.5C in December 1981. I have no idea what Woodford's record is. Woodford does seem to be the slightly colder location in general, although both are slight frost hollows.