Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Mine really is fluctuating, -4.9c about 2 hours ago, -3.8c now.

Mine is doing the same gone from -5.1c to -3.2c in the last 3 hours - no cloud or wind though???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

-15ºC now!

:blush:

and I thought it was cold here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Mine is doing the same gone from -5.1c to -3.2c in the last 3 hours - no cloud or wind though???

It's stupid. It would of easily been -10c tonight, and wouldnt of got above -3c tomorrow, stupid temperatures. :blush:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It's stupid. It would of easily been -10c tonight, and wouldnt of got above -3c tomorrow, stupid temperatures. :blush:

Does it really matter that much?, you'd think you'd put your house on it or something!

Within 10 miles of the coast it was never going to be as cold as inland, but still once this cloud veil clears/NW wind abates temperatures will plummet again

Posted

Just popped outside, and it is really cold. I live by the river mersey and it looks like a steam/fog effect is rising from there.

Definately not a night to be homeless!

Posted

It's stupid. It would of easily been -10c tonight, and wouldnt of got above -3c tomorrow, stupid temperatures. :(

I re-set my station up on the 1st and lowest recorded is 6.5c since then - was hoping to break that tonight but it is looking doubtful now.

Still, it beats monday night when I was stuck around 2c and getting rain / sleet when everyone else was getting snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Light wind from the west though, it might go up at the next update (Manc Airport)...I'm off outside for a smoke, could be interesting...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Lowest reading in Cheshire ever recorded has been -24°F (-31.1'c) in 1943. A long way to go yet.

-31.1C hows that possible if the lowest UK recorded temperature is -27C in Braemar?

Or is this a personal recording?

Posted

Does anyone think the band that was going to hit East Anglia is now looking like it could hit the north east?

http://www.sat24.com/scan

You can get a better view of what's going on here:-

My link

The low to the south seems to be holding it up - and we know how slow that thing has been moving compared to how it has been modelled.

Sure that it will head south soon but there is a possibility that it may move further west than predicted before hand.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Does anyone think the band that was going to hit East Anglia is now looking like it could hit the north east?

http://www.sat24.com/scan

My amateur wishful-thinking makes me see the northern band and the swirl to the east converging on the north-west! We must get something from at least one one of those systems?? :(

Posted

My amateur wishful-thinking makes me see the northern band and the swirl to the east converging on the north-west! We must get something from at least one one of those systems?? whistling.gif

I hope so clap.gif

Posted

It could be a personal recording. Or (what im now thinking from what the UK record stands as) the site I got the stats from has confused their 'f with 'c.

Either way even at -24'c in Cheshire, its still pretty nippy.

Posted

Does it really matter that much?, you'd think you'd put your house on it or something!

Within 10 miles of the coast it was never going to be as cold as inland, but still once this cloud veil clears/NW wind abates temperatures will plummet again

Because the lower maximums tomorrow will result in little or no snowmelt, it's going to be sunny all day tomorrow, hopefully not alot will melt.

Posted

For a cold weather freak like me, tonight is a real joy! Several degrees below 0 and powder snow evrywhere!

We have plenty of nights like tonight to enjoy and see how low the temperatures get. Until the easterly develops and snow comes from the east by the end of the weekend!

Heaven!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Hear, hear Karyo, that's proper winter, bone chilling cold first!

Posted

The sun will still melt some of the snow though. Even at -2, the influence of the sun's own temperature will be above 0C - the drips will refreeze as soon as the suns influence is lost though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Can confirm temp at manchester airport is -10c with a DP of -11c and i have just finished a flight

and it is bloody freezing nice cup of hot coffee me thinks to defrost.....

C.S

Posted

Can only guess that it is preety cold outside right now given all the readings being shown elsewhere in the region, and the coast being -5 degrees. It certainly feels cold inside. Wouldn't be surprised to see us get close to the -10 degree mark, would be lower had we some proper deep snow cover, but still probably going to beat Sunday night readings. Some very cold nights ahead I feel, Saturday morning is looking very very cold indeed in the Lakes, I'm expecting many of the larger lakes to start to freeze at the edges by the weekend, who knows even Lake Windermere in parts may start to freeze which it hasn't done since winter 81/82, last weekend Rydal was looking fairly frozen over and Grasmere was showing appreciable ice build up.

Posted

The sun will still melt some of the snow though. Even at -2, the influence of the sun's own temperature will be above 0C - the drips will refreeze as soon as the suns influence is lost though.

We actually already have icicles here.

Cant believe how the temp rocketed from -4.9c to -3.6c in 20 minutes. -3.9c currently with -6c to beat.

Posted

Yes, proper snow! Whilst the dog walk was very cold, I had on my ski jacket, big furry hat, thick gloves, walking boots etc. I love it when the snow creaks and crunches under foot, not the usual slushy splash that we normally get.

I tried to make a few snowballs for the dog to chase, but the snow is too cold, its just powder. Also, the pavements are easier to walk on this evening. The ice seems to loose some of its slippiness at these temps.