Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Evening all! Bring back the mild south westerlies!whistling.gif

Had a frozen pipe today which meant water couldn't drain away from bath. Called some drainage co. out 'cause didn't realise pipe frozen; thought it was just a normal blockage. Cost me an arm and a leg!wallbash.gif

Still Sunday looks less interesting than first thought today - Beeb talking about light snow across Central England, Midlands and some for northern parts of our area. I thought we were supposed to get a real heavy bout of snow.

Anyway i was waiting to read an update from Ian but no-show yet. Maybe he's just knackered from this week.

Posted

Nice summary Iceberg - thanks!

Thanks for the pic Jonesy - I can just see a few hard-done-by coastal dwellers putting an "I live here" pointer onto the tiny couple of green bits near the South Coast and North West Coasts - that is incredibly unlucky in such a whiteout! I'd be pulling my hair out!

Yeah I live there in Poole on the south coast, we were right in the firing line of the recent snow then at the very last hour it decided to move 70 miles east and arced all around us . However we did get an inch from the wrap around the next morning which equals the total seen here in the last 24 years. So say a little prayer for us poor southerners and if anyone more qualified than I can assure us it is a high possibility of snowman material then would love to hear from you. Many thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Heat, Snow, Gales

-5.7 here. forecast for around -10, but as -10 was our minimum last night, i think we may just hit -12 maybe -13, if we do, thats the coldest iv ever seen/ been in, so its all rather exciting! looking forward to what sunday could bring also :good: exciting times ahead of us!!!

Posted

please give us a new thread this one taking ages to load. temps now -7 here.. I was supposed to work tonight but still cant get my car out .. Im on a hill and still have lying snow with ice on top and underneath, i tried but wasnt going anywhere. even up the road a bit where they have managed to put some grit down has frozen. I remember someone said the other day that at -3 even the gritt frezzes. So more snow on the way?? ive run out of milk cant get out to get any the 1 shop we have in the village has nothing.

kaz x

Posted

My friend just said shed heard (dont know where from) That Gloucester is supposed to be having snow overnight and in the morning? Can someone confirm this at all please as ive not seen anything forecast for here, thanks :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

HELP!

Not sure where was best to post this...

I got a weather station for Christmas, very nice, but... the temperatures its recording seem wrong; Its currently reading -0.4c... surely thats not right? It only went down to -4.6c last night.

Where have you all positioned your outside sensors? Mine is stuck on a window frame, about 1.5m from the ground. Is this okay? I'm wondering whether its too warm there...

I want to record the minima you are all recording!

Thanks for any help you can give

Kate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

I suggest you move it away from the window... :wallbash:

Away from buildings about 2m off the ground is best.

Lian: snow not overly likely tonight anywhere away from the NE and perhaps E of the UK

Posted

HELP!

Not sure where was best to post this...

I got a weather station for Christmas, very nice, but... the temperatures its recording seem wrong; Its currently reading -0.4c... surely thats not right? It only went down to -4.6c last night.

Where have you all positioned your outside sensors? Mine is stuck on a window frame, about 1.5m from the ground. Is this okay? I'm wondering whether its too warm there...

I want to record the minima you are all recording!

Thanks for any help you can give

Kate

Your best bet is above your lawn or something at that height, mine is at the bottom of the garden but it's wireless - is yours wireless?

They say to position it above a natural environment, so not patio or something, hence your window frame may not be the best place.

Edited by Jaybe

Posted

I suggest you move it away from the window... :wallbash:

Away from buildings about 2m off the ground is best.

Lian: snow not overly likely tonight anywhere away from the NE and perhaps E of the UK

Thanks - will it be okay if its not sheltered? ie on a post? Not sure if the weather would corrode it?

Your best bet is above your lawn or something at that height, mine is at the bottom of the garden but it's wireless - is yours wireless?

They say to position it above a natural environment, so not patio or something, hence your window frame may not be the best place.

Thanks Jaybe - I know just the place - think I will go out now and reposition!

Posted

Thanks - will it be okay if its not sheltered? ie on a post? Not sure if the weather would corrode it?

Should be OK, on a post above the lawn is fine.

As for corroding, whats it made of? Should be ok to withstand most the elements can throw at it.

If you want to be IPCC accurate you need to place it in a box and place on top of a warm building, beside the air con outlet :wallbash:

Posted

Should be OK, on a post above the lawn is fine.

As for corroding, whats it made of? Should be ok to withstand most the elements can throw at it.

If you want to be IPCC accurate you need to place it in a box and place on top of a warm building, beside the air con outlet :p

Its plastic.. with the plastic cover that goes over it, sorry.. what do you mean by IPCC?! :p:blush:

Posted

My friend just said shed heard (dont know where from) That Gloucester is supposed to be having snow overnight and in the morning? Can someone confirm this at all please as ive not seen anything forecast for here, thanks :p

Lian.

we might get a few shower;s tonight or early hrs.

but i wouldnt stay up for it myself..

watch out for Sunday

Posted

watch out for sunday indeed when a armegeddon type event is gunna appen

my top tip is to rush to the shop and panic buy milk bread etc to see u through:cold:

its only what everyone else is doing.Getting harder and harder to buy milk lately shop sold out cant get any lol

Edited by yipikiaye

Posted

:p

Dont laugh at me I knew he was taking the mick but didnt know what he meant! :p

Posted

Its plastic.. with the plastic cover that goes over it, sorry.. what do you mean by IPCC?! blush.gif:p

They would be the panel for climate change that keep telling us the world is warming up (which it might be) and that its all our fault (which it is probably not) and some of there weather stations are in somewhat suspect places. (most definately)

Sorry :p

As for the plastic, it'll be fine.

Let us know what the new readings show.

Rather strangely, my temp has gone from -7.5C to -5.5C. There was me thinking I might get a record cold tonight!

Might have another cider instead...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Yeovilton, Somerset down to -9.0C already! ohmy.gif

-6.5C here, stopped falling for now, seems a breeze has kicked in again.

Posted

Interesting artical here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8443745.stm , on how cleaning your path infront of your house is a civic duty in other countries, would be worth doing that here... Not a grumpy man, just think its a neighbourly thing to do..:rolleyes:

Posted

They would be the panel for climate change that keep telling us the world is warming up (which it might be) and that its all our fault (which it is probably not) and some of there weather stations are in somewhat suspect places. (most definately)

Sorry :rolleyes:

As for the plastic, it'll be fine.

Let us know what the new readings show.

Rather strangely, my temp has gone from -7.5C to -5.5C. There was me thinking I might get a record cold tonight!

Might have another cider instead...

Oh I see! Ha Ha! Thanks for the info... I'm off out... hope I dont freeze!

Cider sounds good....

Posted

Interesting artical here: http://news.bbc.co.u...ine/8443745.stm , on how cleaning your path infront of your house is a civic duty in other countries, would be worth doing that here... Not a grumpy man, just think its a neighbourly thing to do..rolleyes.gif

Don't we get sued if we sweep the snow and someone slips over because they are unable to walk? :rolleyes:

Or is that just my cynical view of the UK?

Oh I see! Ha Ha! Thanks for the info... I'm off out... hope I dont freeze!

Cider sounds good....

I nearly did coming home earlier!

Cider is awesome... cider, camping in the sun, surfing... its the new SW lifestyle!

Posted

watch out for sunday indeed when a armegeddon type event is gunna appen

my top tip is to rush to the shop and panic buy milk bread etc to see u through:cold:

its only what everyone else is doing. Getting harder and harder to buy milk lately shop sold out cant get any lol

What is this obsession with milk?!

Posted

Interesting artical here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8443745.stm , on how cleaning your path infront of your house is a civic duty in other countries, would be worth doing that here... Not a grumpy man, just think its a neighbourly thing to do..:rolleyes:

Wholly agree with you. The issue is at the moment if you did and black ice formed, causing somebody to fall over, you'd have the ambulance chasers after you

Even if safeguards were put in against that sort of thing i'm sure some of these ambulance chasers would find a way around it. What a sad world we live in

SK

Posted

Don't we get sued if we sweep the snow and someone slips over because they are unable to walk? :)

Or is that just my cynical view of the UK?

I nearly did coming home earlier!

Cider is awesome... cider, camping in the sun, surfing... its the new SW lifestyle!

You would only get sued if you cleared it in a malicious way...wt hell that means who know, thats why its hard to prove apparently. I suppose if you cleared all your snow onto next doors clean path and then they slipped on it you might be up for a 'No Win no fee' set up!:rolleyes: