Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I await Ians update like the rest of you lol unsure.gif

Told someone at work snow again for sunday.Hope this works out or im gunna look a right loser.Not told em how much not gunna stick me neck out that far just yet.Hopefully someone can pull something out the bag

Last nights temp was -8 but went down to -9 briefly before leaving for work at 6am

Already -4 now should beat last night

Tell me about it,I told the world that Dorset was in for an absolute pummeling the other night and I am still reaping from the re-pecussions of it,so tread carefully!!!unknw.gif

Edited by snowlight robbery

Posted

With regard to the Light precipitation concerns on sunday.

I believe that the GFS precipitation charts out to around 96hrs are infact fairly accurate when it comes to ppn rates along commons fronts. With regard to convertion showers, front development or local streamers, they usually have ppn on the chart, but rates sit around the light/light-moderate range.

Take this chart for example:

ukprec.png

The chart above relates to 6pm today, and was produced on the last run at 12z. Itillustrates that in the West of cornwall there will be some precipitation generated, at between a rate of 0.1mm to 0.5mm per hour. This is light, and the chart has indictated this for the last couple of days.

Now, check out the ppn rates of the showers on the radar (rain today or MO) at around 6pm in the W of Cornwall

Some/MOST of those showers are moderate and even fairly heavy.

West of cornwall has seen 5-7cm's from today (i know someone who lives there) - and this was all down as being very light on the GFS ppn charts right to to the last, well, now actually!

This is just one example to illustrate that in THIS approaching situation on sunday and monday, the GFS ppn charts are merely a guide that ppn will be around (the most improtant part me thinks!) and the heaviness shall remain to be seen in now casting

Paul

Edited by Paul T

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

What did the points west peopel say? Im at work and cant watch.

Posted

Just finished uploading a dozen or so pictures of Trowbridge, taken yesterday...

Winter 2009/2010 Gallery

According to WeatherBug, temperature has risen to -0.2°c in Trowbridge (up from -3.0°c about an hour ago!). :lol:

Anyone else's temperatures rising (weather-wise, of course!)?

Edited by Schmac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Spotlight going for the snow sunday and into monday, "widespread and significant"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Did anyone see Richard Angwin

Yes -20 for Yeovilton tonight!!!

Posted

Anguin saying snow sunday and monday could be quite bad but he didnt give any info on how much yet

Till then very cold could be lowest temps for 20+ years today colder than last night and will be a bit cloudier than today in some parts temp staying below freezing in most parts

Posted

-5.2 still falling..

Tribe you could be correct tonight..

I love the snow,but I think this is getting nasty with the Gas and Salt supplies

and people getting carried away panic buying..

Really need to check on people..old or infirm people..

Only take s a moment

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I must admit I would love this cold spell to go on through Feb, but if we get more snow on Sunday then I don't think I would mind it coming to an end later next week if it was to be then (not saying it is).

Low of -6.4c last night, though the Temp did rise to 0.3c today, thats the price for living near the coast I guess.

Posted

BBC weather site has it (TA19) down for light snow Sun/MOn: http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/4189?area=TA19 . But then if you run the weather map animations, it shows nothing at all for Sun/Mon... so inconsistant...:rofl: What is a man to believe!

Posted

ECM looks amazing god im so happy with this cold spell.

Everything seems so surreal to me at the moment. We're actually in the midst of a cold spell so long that I havnt looked out the window in hours despite the lovely blanket of snow because I know its going nowhere and i'm trying my hardest to keep heat in the house!

And from the looks of things to me next week plenty more heavy snowfall to come as the atlantic tries (and probably fails) to make inroads from the SW. Along with the stuff on Sunday

This is a total and utter guess but if the atlantic does try and get in next week, on top of the snow we have on the ground now and the likely top up on sunday, some areas could well see over 50cm of snow - half a metre! Just unbelieveable potential for this spell

I'm starting to wonder how the UK's infrastructure is going to hold up come monday

SK

Posted

Well had a second day of snow cover here although in other parts of Paignton its melted away where grit and where people have used the pathways frequently Newton Abbot was very similar although has stuck around alittle better than here on the main routes.

Only -1.6c here, and it almost got down to -4c last night. Should hopefully reach -4c again tonight maybe even try for the record -5.4c i have for Paignton which suprisingly was set in Dec '05.

Still remaining optimistic about some possible flurries tommorow and maybe Sat.

Posted

Points west going for Significant snow event late weekend lets hope so.

Not being able to get Points West, Midlands Today said something along the lines of maybe snow heavy at times , but there again maybe not, for Sunday. All sounded rather uncertain

R

Go here http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/somerset/hi/ and click on the link.

Thanks, but it just says 'Connecting...' and doesn't actually do anything!

I don't know why they cant put in on iplayer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Not being able to get Points West, Midlands Today said something along the lines of maybe snow heavy at times , but there again maybe not, for Sunday. All sounded rather uncertain

R

If you have Sky or similar just have a flick through the BBC channels.