Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I cannot believe that my weather station's batteries failed on the coldest night that potentially I've ever recorded!! The lowest was -6.6c and that is nowhere near the -8 odd at Boscombe Down or the bone chilling -14 odd at Yeovilton! I have adjusted the batteries and reset it, but of course today's max will now be botched, so very annoying at such a crucial time in weather history!!

As an aside, Yeovilton was still below -11c at 10.00!!

Answer is simple - you need several weather staions. They are always going wrong. I currently have three different systems. minus 8.1 here in Stroud last night. Still minus 3.2

Posted

Just seen the new Met office warnings for Sunday to Monday. Trying not to get too excited just yet as it's a few days away and i almost had a mental breakdown on Tuesday with the changing forecasts and then when the snow didn't come as early as predicted! haha. We'll wait and see what happens!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The temperature actually reached its lowest at 09.30 this morning at -9.6C, almost there at -10 lol! Lovely day though and no snowmelt which is beautiful. Still -4.2C so definitely an ice day today I think. :lol:

Posted

Good morning folks,

Very nice to see cornwall and the Scilly Isles joining in the fun today - this will be key actually for reasons ill go into in a second

For the next few days once more the NWP output very much underplaying the convection risk, with showers possibly scraping the eastern extremities of our region now later today (glos and wilts in particular)

Looks as though friday and saturday will offer further snow flurries, particularly by the afternoon, spreading in from the NE with an increasingly tight flow

Then of course we look at sunday...

http://cache.netweather.tv/fax/PPVL89.png

Stationary upper front along the M4 corridor, spreading precipitation probably north towards birmingham and right across the south. Now the key here is the nature of the front - upper. In theory this should mean precip will be fairly light to moderate, but interaction with the channel is likely to be high, leading to some convective injection into the precipitation being possible. The other concern though would be that its a stationary front. Obviously without seeing the updated 96 and 120 charts until this evening its difficult to know how long snow may fall for (hopefully Ian may be able to enlighten us on this later), but if we look at say sunday into monday.....to me it looks like there the possibility of upto 18-24 hours of snowfall - on top of what we already have even at a light-moderate rate things could start piling up once more

The other thing to say is in regards to the trends in certain models for the atlantic to try and come in from the south-west. The more snowfall we get on the ground across the south, the colder the surface layer stays. What this means is that seeing snowfall across the most SWern extremities today is a good sign for snow fans. As the atlantic tries to come back in the possibility is there that we see it stalling against the dense cold surface layer over the UK and turn to snow, certainly inland. Due to the density of the cold air mass over the UK it struggles to make any inroads across the UK, slips away eastwards across the channel and pulls in yet more cold uppers from the east.

Thats the way I see the state of play at the moment. I think its fairly likely that by monday (if the Met Office have the FAX spot on) a lot of southern england could be under a blanket of snow pushing toward or over a foot in depth as things really start to pile up with minimal thaw

Kind Regards

SK

great post thanks , think its going get busy on here come weekend :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Lynxus chill brother...

try cutting down on the fag's and smoke a joint :)

joke...lol

LOL i know, Sorry yall.

I do get a little worried from time to time. I just dont seem to be able to trust met office warnings like I used to.

Im sure we will know a little more tomorrow and sat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Stonking Sky News forecast for Sunday! Snow right from the tip of Cornwall to Dover and up to about B'Ham (ish)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain

Stonking Sky News forecast for Sunday! Snow right from the tip of Cornwall to Dover and up to about B'Ham (ish)

sounds good!! What time does the sky news weather come on?

Posted

That sounds like a final nail in the coffin for me if it doesn't even get up to Nottingham! Why did I ever leave Dorset again last week? :good:

Posted

Lets keep our feet on the ground. Remember the sudden turn around on Monday showing yesterdays snow. Lets wait a little longer I think.

Would love the potent eastly currently being modeled, its so rare to get a proper easterly....not NE or SE...but East straight from the continant.

Posted

sounds good!! What time does the sky news weather come on?

Not sure, just before/after the half hour?

That sounds like a final nail in the coffin for me if it doesn't even get up to Nottingham! Why did I ever leave Dorset again last week? nonono.gif

Well, yes, you should of stayed in Dorset! Though, being in the deep North it might snow later? unknw.gif

Posted

Brum-ish...my area...North Glos..

though early days to get any accuracy

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Just had a phone call from Tesco...

They have cancelled our delivery due to the snow on the Moor. Chickens. Its passable... just... to the village though there is a half mile walk to get to the village.

Brum-ish...my area...North Glos..

though early days to get any accuracy

Interesting tho that they are confident enough to go out to Sunday, normally they do 1 day ahead if no confidence

Posted

Just seen the Sky forecast!!!!!!!

She has not got a clue what she is on about....lol

She said, and i quote "Sunny sunshine"

But she is FIT!

Sunny sunshine vs hazy sunshine or milky sunshine... it does vary ye know :cold:

Posted

Just had a phone call from Tesco...

They have cancelled our delivery due to the snow on the Moor. Chickens. Its passable... just... to the village though there is a half mile walk to get to the village.

Interesting tho that they are confident enough to go out to Sunday, normally they do 1 day ahead if no confidence

Thats what I have just said to my brother,they must have a good idea being this early..

Edited by dogs32

Posted

But she is FIT!

let me guess - that would be the Irish lass Lisa Burke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Burke

Posted

uote name='aspire27' date='07 January 2010 - 12:47 ' timestamp='1262868442' post='1716963']

But she is FIT!

Edited by noggin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Which is most important to you...accuracy or fitness? :yahoo:

She could have said "bright sunshine"......it would have sounded more professional....

But then I am female and more interested in the forecast itself than the presenter.

Mind you, I quite like Thomas Schaffernacher and John Hammond.....I'll have them for husbands for my two daughters. :whistling:

Need you ask :D

Posted

Hi, doggy old chap!

I was sliding around on the ice t'other night and saw a Tesco delivery van.......felt quite sorry for him. What a job in this weather, with all the side roads like ice-rinks.

I bet there were some people moaning that their deliveries were late!

Hats off to Bristol Water who sent out a crew this morning to mend my broken supply pipe in the front garden, though!

I'd of met him up the top of the hill, had my backpack ready to go! Oh well.

I've never met a bad Tesco delivery driver, even when down in Cornwall trying to find this campsite right down on the beach one stopped and asked if he could help. Awesome people! (and no, I don't work for or own shares in Tesco) :whistling: