Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

-6.3c here in Swindon town center at the moment. Loving the views i have of the frozen town. Will try and post a few in a minute.

Heavy snow forecasted again for Saturday evening in to early Sunday. Any chance this will pull off?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

yay we have snow its a snowing...pardon.gif

Posted

-6.3c here in Swindon town center at the moment. Loving the views i have of the frozen town. Will try and post a few in a minute.

Heavy snow forecasted again for Saturday evening in to early Sunday. Any chance this will pull off?

Every chance I recon, GFS 06Z has snow over most of the SW really from Sat evening onwards, sun/Mon/Tues etc. It looks to need to be kicking and screaming as the METO have been going on about it for the last 24 hrs, but coming into line it is.

Their should be more organised bands etc which won't be known until Fri/Sat at the earliest IMO.

Posted

yay we have snow its a snowing...pardon.gif

My folks have also had a good covering, just outside of St. Ives... First time in ages!:drinks:

Posted

Down to -7.7 last night in swindon. Currently at work in bath and it's still freezing! I've noticed we've got about 2-3 inches more snow than bath and chippenham do aswell.

Where did you take those pics from weather_freak? they're great :drinks:

Posted

Every chance I recon, GFS 06Z has snow over most of the SW really from Sat evening onwards, sun/Mon/Tues etc. It looks to need to be kicking and screaming as the METO have been going on about it for the last 24 hrs, but coming into line it is.

Their should be more organised bands etc which won't be known until Fri/Sat at the earliest IMO.

Morning Iceburg.

This weekends event is feeding very cold air and showers from europe right across the country, is that correct?

Sounds a little like Feb 91.....if we get the very cold air.

Posted

Swindon Town Center

18848_240556820867_618295867_3719141_4027233_n.jpg18848_240557850867_618295867_3719169_2218925_n.jpg18848_240588805867_618295867_3719312_3705788_n.jpg

It maybe your moody pics but where is the sun? At South Marston its shining bright.

PS It looks better in the snow.

Posted

Morning Iceburg.

This weekends event is feeding very cold air and showers from europe right across the country, is that correct?

Sounds a little like Feb 91.....if we get the very cold air.

Here are the 850's from the METO at 72hrs. Quite a potent cold pool I think.

post-6326-12628596122952_thumb.gif

Posted

At last the real snow that everyone else has been having has arrived in west Cornwall this morning.

yay,,,....bout time too

Posted

Here are the 850's from the METO at 72hrs. Quite a potent cold pool I think.

Thanks for the chart. There is some doubt on the amount of PPN. But if we got very cold air, and three or four days of light snow i would be happy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

At last the real snow that everyone else has been having has arrived in west Cornwall this morning.

It came drekley then!!!

Posted

Down to -7.7 last night in swindon. Currently at work in bath and it's still freezing! I've noticed we've got about 2-3 inches more snow than bath and chippenham do aswell.

Where did you take those pics from weather_freak? they're great :acute:

Pics are taken from my apartment in the David Murray John Tower. Love watching the snow fall from up here and see it blanket everything in white. And yes, Swindon looks 150 times better covered in snow! haha. Pics were taken yesterday so no sunshine. Looking forward to more snow this afternoon according to BBC?

Posted

I got to -14.2C last night have about 18cm of snow... But I am stuck in can't get anywhere. Getting my skis out i think to get to village.. :acute:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, wind. Hot summer days.

Morning rockhopper.

Well, WeatherBug (on my BlackBerry) said it was -10 about an hour ago (not sure how accurate that is though) and someone else just down the road said it got to -10 too (but not sure where they got their info from). That's for the Paxcroft Mead area.

Solid ice on the roads around here. Doesn't look like many people are venturing out to work!

Morning, I'm not surprised it got colder at paxcroft. :acute:

Posted

Got down to -9.9c last night. Looks wonderful today, sparkling snow, nothing moving. Just feel

like I'm in Canada again :whistling:

post-4487-12628611331052_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain

Morning all.

Those snow showers are moving further west than was forecast last night (maybe some flurries getting into the east part of our region later on?). It just shows how the exact detail is difficult to forecast just a few hours ahead in these types of conditions.

Sunday/Monday certainly looks interesting!! smile.gif

Fred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Bitterly cold in Stroud this morning (sorry not got a reading). What's struck me about this cold compared to say February is that there is an inch of snow on the electric cables outside my window which have been in full sun for 2 hours now and they're not even dripping! even light snow in the coming days would be potentially interesting as it'll keep adding to what we've got!

Posted

if theres no melt at all upto sunday then a top up. blimey this could get gd.

btw did u see parts up north snow half covering wheels :(. double that next week or so. 1963!!!

Edited by David-kig

Posted

Congratulations to the far tip of Cornwall!! drinks.gif

lol its been worth the wait, fingers tapping etc and hopefully more to come on sunday have you seen sky news weather eekkkk !! loldrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Just took a trek up to the village, the gritter has been out but it looks no different to yesterday... although its lovely and sunny today.

Then walked back over the top of the rocks, through the forest, which looked rather too like Narnia and then back across the fields where it was probably 7inches deep.

No sign of any melt here and alot colder than yesterday, but no wind.

Wondering if the Tesco delivery will make it... and the oil...

Posted

Good Morning, peeps!

Not long in from work and have had Bristol Water in fixing my burst supply pipe in the front garden. It's quite warm, once you start digging, they said...!

Anyway, enough of my domestic issues. :(

Lowest temperature at Filton airfield overnight was -8.8. As at 10 o'clock this morning it was -6.6. I imagine it'll be another ice day.

Am now going to read the thread to see how other folk are doing! :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

lol its been worth the wait, fingers tapping etc and hopefully more to come on sunday have you seen sky news weather eekkkk !! loldrinks.gif

What was the forecast?

Glad you have the snow at last!