Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I dont think i ever seen temps as low as -9 let alone a -10.Looks like another 3 mile walk to work with me pushin me mountain bike again tomorrow.Then another 3 mile trip back for dinner and back again.Followed by another 3 mile uphill walk coming home at 5pm.God no wonder im knackered.Walking in the snow really knackers u out and yet im pretty fit as well

Only annoying thing is i really wish these 4x4 drivers would stop driving so fast through the slush .I got a right soakin earlier and got really wound up cus of it

Edited by yipikiaye

Posted

Thanks so much Ian! This snow watching is tiring me out (not least because I walked 15 miles today) though I can't imagine how you must feel with those early shifts!

When you talk of out-of-window checks, are they in the hope that the event will come off as forecast? I think the forecasters handled it pretty well, after the ppt. materialised on the NAE a couple of days ago. PS yes I'm looking forward to tonight's low minima - I'm already recording -2.1C.

Got some good karma earlier - helped to push a car out of a snow drift near Leckhampton :)

Dogs32 - Shelburne Rd there!! So close to my house!

do you mean The one on my YouTube site or on here

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

do you mean ONE MY YOUTUBE SITE

Yes the one you just linked to

Posted

Yes the one you just linked to

LOL...I thought you was up by ST Mark's Church...

thought I saw you with a rucksack on your back :)

sorry mod's back on topic

Posted

Very quiet on the roads this evening barely any traffic at all.Wish it was like that all the time really

Current temp -2.5 c

Edited by yipikiaye

Posted

Yes a big thank you Ian for keeping us informed all the way along on here, on radio and on TV! You and richard pulled off a fantastically accurate forecast in a situation with so many developing cores of LP some may have started losing count!

Out of interest if your still around what sort of models do you use for forecasts out to days 4 and 5. Obviously the only one giving enough detail for us on the net is the GFS, and that paints the potential but nothing too severe in terms of precip amounts yet

Kind Regards

SK

Posted

Where from? Russia, Poland, you name it - anywhere east of Belgium and with southern British Isles in crosshairs!! But seriously, it has potential to be a very troubling event, if ibecame reality. Hence UKMO advisory up good and early, Obviously, the sub-regional detail not even worth discussing this far off so don;t ask!

Thanks Ian for the update. Hats offhi.gif to you guys for predicting that 'arc' of snow exactly as it happened last night.

Sunday still a long way off in weather terms i guess, esp. with this current set up.

By the way i like your photo on here - by that i mean i couldn't help noticing the 20 celsius symbol off your left shoulder! How ironic!rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, wind. Hot summer days.

Similar to quite a few on here i suspect (including me)!

Me three... lol

(it was worth it though..) :good:

Posted

with temps struggling to reach zero,the snow / ice will still be around sun,and with potential for more snow,who knows!

next possible snow Rich might be to the latter weekend

the snow here was very light

Edited by grab my graupel

Posted

Sun will be out tomorrow despite the temp being below freezing u can bet the sun will melt a lot always does

Posted

First video from me. View from Barrow Wake Viewpoint, near Birdlip.

Yes dogs - I am near the church, but I wasn't wearing a backpack. Shelburne road is pretty close to St Mark's :good:

Temp dropping like a stone, now -2.8C

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted

Me three... lol

(it was worth it though..) :)

Me four, got to bed at 3:30am up again at 4:30am then 7:30am.

Totally knackered now after sledging and snowman making Totally worth it though! :good:

Edited by TimMB

Yes dogs - I am near the church, but I wasn't wearing a backpack. Shelburne road is pretty close to St Mark's :)

I get an error :good:

Posted

I get an error :good:

I was too, but I think it should be working now. Perhaps took a few mins to process.

Posted

Yes dogs - I am near the church, but I wasn't wearing a backpack. Shelburne road is pretty close to St Mark's :)

Temp dropping like a stone, now -2.8C

excellent video

James you know this

edit........nice one Martin

Brian,,,,Link???

confused

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Well im very impressed at the fact the snow has stayed on the ground all day and hardly melted much despite the sunshine this afternoon, in fact it thawed more while it was snowing.

But this snow really takes me back to when i lived in Blackpool as its that proper powdery type snow and its just everywhere and the road have gone to black ice and its never stuck this properly or thick down here since we moved, although it snowed an stuck last Feb it melted very quickly during the day and was quite slushy to begin with in places.

I think and hope this will mostly still be here come Sunday when we may hopefully get a top up drinks.gif

Posted

yes got pics and video but need to get them off cameras and edit the video especially - not got much time to do it at the moment, but here is my photo that Richard Angwin used on his forecast on Points West tonight.

Martin I missed that forecast...tonight

will it be on later

i think we are all knacker-ed...

i have only had 5 hrs sleep in two days :):D:) :)

the weather as done me out

cheers Brian

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Brian,,,,Link???

confused

Sorry Pat, it was appearing as a link that wasn't clickable or didn't load properly, so I had to shuffle it accross. :)

Posted

Two carloads of us went up to Painswick Beacon in the Cotswolds to toboggan and the scenery was quite amazing. As you can see from the pic the snow was pretty darn deep with some of the drifts upto my waist.

4252138646_068feedd46_b.jpg

And my daughter and friend experiencing tobogganning for the first time !

4252157762_bc573455f1_b.jpg

A winter wonderland and a great day out for the kids (including myself !)

John in Quedgeley, Gloucester.

p.s. And I may just get up there again this weekend :)