Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Well im very impressed at the fact the snow has stayed on the ground all day and hardly melted much despite the sunshine this afternoon, in fact it thawed more while it was snowing.

But this snow really takes me back to when i lived in Blackpool as its that proper powdery type snow and its just everywhere and the road have gone to black ice and its never stuck this properly or thick down here since we moved, although it snowed an stuck last Feb it melted very quickly during the day and was quite slushy to begin with in places.

I think and hope this will mostly still be here come Sunday when we may hopefully get a top up drinks.gif

North West Exile ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Might as well add some photos while im here...I must admit the snow doesn't look that deep on these but it was a good inch/two

Given your location on the English Riviera thats still impressive enough.

Posted

Yes a big thank you Ian for keeping us informed all the way along on here, on radio and on TV! You and richard pulled off a fantastically accurate forecast in a situation with so many developing cores of LP some may have started losing count!

Out of interest if your still around what sort of models do you use for forecasts out to days 4 and 5. Obviously the only one giving enough detail for us on the net is the GFS, and that paints the potential but nothing too severe in terms of precip amounts yet

Kind Regards

SK

Hi Kris

It's an ensemble used by UKMO but especially their own Global Model output and ECMWF products. Others such as GFS obviously added to their rationale and final model tweaks and also some not easily available on the web (I think) such as the French Arpege.

Best

IIan

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Yes thank you Ian for all your time and info that you give on here,especially after hectic days like today.

Between now and Sunday will there be a slight thaw or are the temps going to remain around freezing?

Thanks

Becky.

Edited by littlemissy

Posted

Two carloads of us went up to Painswick Beacon in the Cotswolds to toboggan and the scenery was quite amazing. As you can see from the pic the snow was pretty darn deep with some of the drifts upto my waist.

4252138646_068feedd46_b.jpg

And my daughter and friend experiencing tobogganning for the first time !

4252157762_bc573455f1_b.jpg

A winter wonderland and a great day out for the kids (including myself !)

John in Quedgeley, Gloucester.

p.s. And I may just get up there again this weekend :unknw:

didnt you struggle up the Hill..looks great up there..

maybe I should of gone up the hill after all

Posted

Devon Nelly.

Cheers for the reply, that first pic of yours with the fantastic view, is that taken from up that big road that leads to paignton zoo?

Got alot of very good childhood memories from the anaual northern holiday migration to goodrington.

Off topic, was back in goodrington last summer for the first time in over 20 years, shame to see alot of the old places have vanished.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

OK just about to start the great picture upload but first of all here's another video to keep you going.

It shows me walking through knee deep snow near Coberley (yes I know I look a bit of a spastic, I was holding my camera case in one hand!).

Posted

Hi Kris

It's an ensemble used by UKMO but especially their own Global Model output and ECMWF products. Others such as GFS obviously added to their rationale and final model tweaks and also some not easily available on the web (I think) such as the French Arpege.

Best

IIan

Very handy to know,

Its a real shame we can't get hold of the earlier ECMWF and a more expansive UKMO dataset, with the ECMWF seeming to be the model with the best grip on things currently. But things seem to be coming available more and more readily with the likes of the NAE now freely available

Thanks again Ian!

SK

Posted

OK just about to start the great picture upload but first of all here's another video to keep you going.

It shows me walking through knee deep snow near Coberley (yes I know I look a bit of a spastic, I was holding my camera case in one hand!).

James ..wow..thats nice and deep...

Shame we didn't get that here.

but it also made me laugh,that was quite funny. :drinks:

Training for the marathon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Agree with this, I have been posting this for days and PMing folk. Attack from the SW from 14-20 with second LP breaking the cold block but snowfest for SW and Southern UK then it moves north on second attack. Less cold for the final third of Jan...and that is very much very likely. Potential reload towards end of the month.

BFTP

Posting this from BFTP on the model output thread...

Yes please!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Heat, Snow, Gales

Is it me, or despite the snow cover, clear sky and the prediction of very low temps, my temp is falling very slow indeeed, im only reading -2.3. what is everyone else getting?

Posted

-3.2C here. EDIT now -3.3

Pics slowly uploading to Flickr.

Garden Chairs:

4252348320_7c02989325_b.jpg

Sledging on Lecky Hill:

4252370502_9b785fe9c2_b.jpg

Thick snow on Leckhampton Hill:

4251601007_44034a9dbc_b.jpg

Devil's Chimney, Leckhampton Hill

4252382290_e0c4886795_b.jpg

Wintry woodland:

4252394984_9488c689b1_b.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Is it me, or despite the snow cover, clear sky and the prediction of very low temps, my temp is falling very slow indeeed, im only reading -2.3. what is everyone else getting?

-5.3C here. Starting to drop quite quickly now, the wind was quite strong earlier, which although very icy was probably propping temps up a tad.

Posted

-3.2C here. EDIT now -3.3

Pics slowly uploading to Flickr.

Garden Chairs:

4252348320_7c02989325_b.jpg

Sledging on Lecky Hill:

4252370502_9b785fe9c2_b.jpg

Thick snow on Leckhampton Hill:

4251601007_44034a9dbc_b.jpg

Devil's Chimney, Leckhampton Hill

4252382290_e0c4886795_b.jpg

Wintry woodland:

4252394984_9488c689b1_b.jpg

James..

excellent

how come you didnt go to Cleave..thats where you normally go to?

Posting this from BFTP on the model output thread...

Yes please!

:(

here we go again..

Time to get good sleep from now to then

Posted

-4 now and the wind has died down a bit, snow has set like concrete now.. not going out again as nearly broke my neck on the steps.

Sooooo are we going to get anymoor??? or is it going to be more over the east side?

kaz x

Posted

I'm just so jealous now. The whole country has had decent snowfall and all we have had in West Cornwall is a brief dusting. Just what needs to happen for a decent dumping down this far west?

Posted

Thanks Dogs :unsure: I didn't feel like going to Cleeve, because it's a bit of a trek to get up onto the high ground. Also as you say it's where I normally go, so I wanted a change. I thought the snow depths would be pretty uniform in any case.

A few more:

Wish I'd smiled in this one! It was cold though.....

4252435724_e884d02bec_b.jpg

Coberley:

4251642723_ca8ee5641d_b.jpg

Countryside near Coberley:

4251656485_5c3ce79b2c_b.jpg

Posted

just think all ours will be gone by tomorrow night and we will be back in milder weather, so we will get the post snow blues.. And you will be laughing.. Was a total surprise to get as much snow as we did up here it was shunted across the Bristol Channel from Wales .. so nice one Wales..

kaz