Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Thanks, but it just says 'Connecting...' and doesn't actually do anything!

I don't know why they cant put in on iplayer.

Got it to work on internet explorer, but the episode is weeks old!

Posted

On a more humorous note. People have been posting the temperatures for their areas and its been, - 10 here last night, then we touched - 12 etc. Well its a balmy -3 here in Bournemouth but do I need to feel inferior. No. Because I got to thinking if this is developing into a contest it doesnt matter if its minus 3 or -13 the fact is, ITS STILL BLOODY FREEZING LOL wherever you are.

Posted

Just been out to get my car ready for a trip to pick up my son and the car thermometer already saying -8. When I did the same for my wife this morning at 6am it was showing -11.5. I even (sadly!) took a photo of that as you don't see it that low too often. God knows what it will get down to tonight.........In Winterbourne, Bristol by the way.

i cleared the drive during the afternoon and even with the sun on it there was no thaw. The most we have lost here is some snow off the trees that were in the sun.

Posted

Will it snow in Cardiff?

Jay, are you new? only I have never heard you say "will it snow in Cardiff" before...... acute.gif

Will it snow in Magor? lol

Posted

It was a serious question lol

Jay, rest assured you are 90% likly to see snow Sunday and monday only real question is how much!!!

will update you as and when i can in wales forum.

Posted

A very quick round up from what are a very complicated set of models for the SW.

Firstly the GFS, beyond Tuesday it's a total outlier, wrt the atlantic winning out, it has no support and so the mild air and rain over the SW is very unlikely to happen.

However for this weekend and into Monday it shows snow showers for ALL SW areas, but particularly Devon, Cornwall and the south dorset coast.

On average it shows accumulations of around 5cm or so. 10cm over the more prone areas.

UKMET and ECM are very similar both have simialr totals for sun/mon in the SW. However there is a good chance that they are under playing the instability which would need a higher resolution model to pick up on such as NAE. I think we have to wait until Sat morning to really get a semi accurate feel for accumulations.

Longer term both models let lows approach from the SW, this is a high stake game of poker for the SW. From Wed to Fri next week we will have 1 of three things.

1 Lots of snow as the lows move under the low south west, but maintain a predominant SE wind.

2 Lots of sleet, rain as slightly milder air is mixed into the lows.

3 The lows miss the SW and we maintain the SE feed, keeping the cold.

Longer term beyond this time, there is a good indication of an easterly reload of cold air providing number 2 doesn't take place and shift the high to far north.

If number 1 occurs we get the classic 30-50cms of snow just like the last 70's and early 80's.

Atm I would put the percentages at 30% for 1, 20% for 2 and 50% for 3.

Current temp -9C and falling rapidly still which is incredible for here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

A fantastic post Iceberg! Especially the snow potential for our areas.

Sky forecasts really showing the snow for sunday (at the start of every forecast it seems)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

-2.1c here in Weston, going to get very low for us tonight concidering we are near the coast.

Posted

WeatherBug now saying -7.0°c for Trowbridge!!! :wallbash:

It certainly feels very cold outside (colder than last night), but got my doubts about it's accuracy!

Maybe it was just having a "funny 5 minutes" earlier... But should I trust it?... :unknw:

Wow! That is pretty cool (quite literally!)...

Looks like a still from "The Day after Tomorrow"!!!... Although not quite at that stage (yet!)...

Posted

Nice summary Iceberg - thanks!

Thanks for the pic Jonesy - I can just see a few hard-done-by coastal dwellers putting an "I live here" pointer onto the tiny couple of green bits near the South Coast and North West Coasts - that is incredibly unlucky in such a whiteout! I'd be pulling my hair out!

Posted

It was a serious question lol

LOL... you make me giggle. Keep it up, I like the way you go between here and the welsh thread with the same question... you are as obsessed with snow as me. drinks.gif

Posted

Already -7.6C here in Gloucester, it was -11.4C in my garden as I was leaving for work first things this morn!

Posted

This is the only time I'm not wishing for snow! I don't want my exams cancelled after i have spent so long stressing about them! After that it can snow all it wants, at least I'll have time to go and play in it. Looks good though.

Posted

Francis Wilson on Sky just said the snow this week end will be alot and the cold will go on through next week and quite possible the week after..

The area of snow over the continent looked huge for snow and slowly moving Northwards towards us,spilling in from Germany and Holland as it spirals.

Edited by dogs32