Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Yorks going to get hit bad by the looks of it. Just about to start here. Already got 1cm extra from the last heavy shower.

Posted

Ah bless suppose someones got to support em!! :)

Hope that nice blob thats on its way doesnt fizzle out, hope to see more showers thru night.

Born and Bred for 30 years "STRETFORD BOY":)

What is that in your profile picture please??:) and living in Barnsley?

Posted

I've heard we have swapped Beckford for Berbatov!!!!!!!!

Hehe anyday of the week! i hear berbatovs been made into a scape goat for man u's faltering form tut tut. laugh.gif

Back to weather, latest radar looking good for leeds. I think that thin band stretching through york will fizzle out while the big blob further north hopefully heads straight to OTLEY biggrin.gif

EDIT: I had great pleasure in reading through some man u forums after the game, fans squabling with each uva n looking for people to blame was BLISS..... biggrin.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

General Forecast:- Thursday 07th January 23:00 - Sunday 10th January

This evening and overnight - Friday:

Heavy snow showers will continue for many eastern coastal counties giving further accumulations to many areas. Favored areas overnight include Leeds (West Yorkshire) and N Yorkshire. As the evening pans out we will see some clearer spells to the West and South of the region where temperatures will plummet with temperatures as low as -14c in rural areas, and -4 to -8 in major towns and cities.

During the early hours snow showers will continue to affect eastern coastal counties, mainly the Scarborough/Bridlington area, with some hefty snow showers possible in parts of East Yorkshire as the energy progress's southwards courtesy to the dormant LP that pushed to the South. In the early hours we start to pick up a fairly brisk to strong East to North Easterly wind, which by tomorrow afternoon/early evening will be touching gale force for coastal areas.

The latest 850 temp and sea level pressure charts clearly shows -10 to -12 upper's edging across us from the east. By this time an associated trough within the system is expected to hit eastern area's pushing organized showers inland. Although there is still uncertainty as to where the trough will be aligned, areas most at risk will be East Yorkshire/Lincs,West Yorkshire,South Yorkshire, and Northern parts of Yorkshire.

For those of you that wish to know what's happening all the time, your best bet is to keep checking the latest fax charts, and also satellite imagery, and of course the radar.

Another thing to remember is when we have such a prominent Easterly flow with very cold upper temperatures, the convective potential rises, which leads to a better risk of seeing heavy snow showers. The greater the difference between the upper 850 temperature's and SSTS (Sea Surface Temperature's) allows showers and heavy ones in particular to develop. Tomorrow's upper 850's are expected to be around -10 in general with some -12 to -14's pushing in a little later into Saturday) at this time of the year the North Sea Temperatures are generally between 8-9c the further East you go, although currently, due to the last cold snap the temperature's in the North Sea have dropped to around 6-7ºc with some sections touching 8c. So the difference in temperature between the upper 850 temps and sea surface temps tomorrow would be around 17ºc.

Another important think to look out for is the surface pressure, the tighter the isobars, the stronger flow you get. This is key over the next few days which will aid the showers penetrating further inland without loosing their intensity (to affect West and South Yorkshire).

Saturday

Again many snow showers blowing in off the North sea, some very heavy showers possible pushing well inland on a strong biting Easterly wind. If your going out during the weekend, make sure you wrap up warm as the wind chill factor will be skin piercing. Further light to moderate accumulations possible during the day, and as the afternoon wears on they will get even heavier.

Further possible 4-5cm of snow for a lot of areas with as much as 10cm+ for some of the lucky areas. If anyone is driving long distances, make sure you have a shovel in the back of the car handy, as drifting is very likely, with some impressive drifting for Eastern areas. Temperatures during Saturday will be around -1 to -4 for inland areas, the further east you go temperature's will hoer around the 0c mark, possible exceeding 0c with some areas typically on the coast reaching 1-2ºc.

Sunday

Although I'm a short term forecaster, this day is giving me a rather big headache. And yes "a bigger one than that low pressure today", a band of precipitation is likely to push from the SE, there is still a lot of uncertainty to regards the exact movement and how far North it will get. They will be generally moderate snow showers with some heavier ones thrown in for coastal areas and they will push inland to affect S and W Yorkshire ahead of the band.

They could become some marginality for extreme eastern coastal areas regarding dew points from a small warm sector out in the North Sea, because not only do the dews look unfavorable the 0c Isotherm looks marginal too, although in the heavier precipitation the isotherm will drop to around 100-200 meters, although the 850 upper temperatures do support snowfall along with the 500-100 Thickness (DAM) - Sub 528. But i expect a roller coaster with the models over the coming few days. If you asked me how confident I am that it will snow on Sunday, I would say roughly 80% certain.

For those of you that wish to be in the know, and have the best radar on the web! I recommend NetWeather extra, and if your a weather guru, the full package with the charts are fantastic! The NMM model is a fantastic resolution, and truly different to the regular low resolution charts.

NetWeather extra link

NetWeather regular models

I hope this post helps and gives you a little guidance as to whats happening. If you have any questions don't hesitate to drop me a private message.

Too end the post here is my favorite chart of the day :lol:

h850t850eu.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=1065a0d15b23c0a65b73c0f68ab6cba95b73c002&dopsig=854fb6866ce8d327cc273c961801b042

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Hehe anyday of the week! i hear berbatovs been made into a scape goat for man u's faltering form tut tut. laugh.gif

Back to weather, latest radar looking good for leeds. I think that thin band stretching through york will fizzle out while the big blob further north hopefully heads straight to OTLEY biggrin.gif

Lets hope so mate :lol:

Posted

Yorks going to get hit bad by the looks of it. Just about to start here. Already got 1cm extra from the last heavy shower.

its lined up perfectly with york to here on the wind 700 vectors!

Posted

Born and Bred for 30 years "STRETFORD BOY":lol:

What is that in your profile picture please??:lol: and living in Barnsley?

Its the shield for this years Fa cup,premiership, and champions league champions!!! :lol:

Back to the weather... those showers are fizzlin a bit but I thinks the later ones mite produce something for this far inland.

Currently -7. But been out with dog funnily enuff called EDUARDO and the slush on road not freezing!!

Posted

General Forecast:- Thursday 07th January 23:00 - Sunday 10th January

This evening and overnight - Friday:

Heavy snow showers will continue for many eastern coastal counties giving further accumulations to many areas. Favored areas overnight include Leeds (West Yorkshire) and N Yorkshire. As the evening pans out we will see some clearer spells to the West and South of the region where temperatures will plummet with temperatures as low as -14c in rural areas, and -4 to -8 in major towns and cities.

During the early hours snow showers will continue to affect eastern coastal counties, mainly the Scarborough/Bridlington area, with some hefty snow showers possible in parts of East Yorkshire as the energy progress's southwards courtesy to the dormant LP that pushed to the South. In the early hours we start to pick up a fairly brisk to strong East to North Easterly wind, which by tomorrow afternoon/early evening will be touching gale force for coastal areas.

The latest 850 temp and sea level pressure charts clearly shows -10 to -12 upper's edging across us from the east. By this time an associated trough within the system is expected to hit eastern area's pushing organized showers inland. Although there is still uncertainty as to where the trough will be aligned, areas most at risk will be East Yorkshire/Lincs,West Yorkshire,South Yorkshire, and Northern parts of Yorkshire.

For those of you that wish to know what's happening all the time, your best bet is to keep checking the latest fax charts, and also satellite imagery, and of course the radar.

Another thing to remember is when we have such a prominent Easterly flow with very cold upper temperatures, the convective potential rises, which leads to a better risk of seeing heavy snow showers. The greater the difference between the upper 850 temperature's and SSTS (Sea Surface Temperature's) allows showers and heavy ones in particular to develop. Tomorrow's upper 850's are expected to be around -10 in general with some -12 to -14's pushing in a little later into Saturday) at this time of the year the North Sea Temperatures are generally between 8-9c the further East you go, although currently, due to the last cold snap the temperature's in the North Sea have dropped to around 6-7ºc with some sections touching 8c. So the difference in temperature between the upper 850 temps and sea surface temps tomorrow would be around 17ºc.

Another important think to look out for is the surface pressure, the tighter the isobars, the stronger flow you get. This is key over the next few days which will aid the showers penetrating further inland without loosing their intensity (to affect West and South Yorkshire).

Saturday

Again many snow showers blowing in off the North sea, some very heavy showers possible pushing well inland on a strong biting Easterly wind. If your going out during the weekend, make sure you wrap up warm as the wind chill factor will be skin piercing. Further light to moderate accumulations possible during the day, and as the afternoon wears on they will get even heavier.

Further possible 4-5cm of snow for a lot of areas with as much as 10cm+ for some of the lucky areas. If anyone is driving long distances, make sure you have a shovel in the back of the car handy, as drifting is very likely, with some impressive drifting for Eastern areas. Temperatures during Saturday will be around -1 to -4 for inland areas, the further east you go temperature's will hoer around the 0c mark, possible exceeding 0c with some areas typically on the coast reaching 1-2ºc.

Sunday

Although I'm a short term forecaster, this day is giving me a rather big headache. And yes "a bigger one than that low pressure today", a band of precipitation is likely to push from the SE, there is still a lot of uncertainty to regards the exact movement and how far North it will get. They will be generally moderate snow showers with some heavier ones thrown in for coastal areas and they will push inland to affect S and W Yorkshire ahead of the band.

They could become some marginality for extreme eastern coastal areas regarding dew points from a small warm sector out in the North Sea, because not only do the dews look unfavorable the 0c Isotherm looks marginal too, although in the heavier precipitation the isotherm will drop to around 100-200 meters, although the 850 upper temperatures do support snowfall along with the 500-100 Thickness (DAM) - Sub 528. But i expect a roller coaster with the models over the coming few days. If you asked me how confident I am that it will snow on Sunday, I would say roughly 80% certain.

For those of you that wish to be in the know, and have the best radar on the web! I recommend NetWeather extra, and if your a weather guru, the full package with the charts are fantastic! The NMM model is a fantastic resolution, and truly different to the regular low resolution charts.

NetWeather extra link

NetWeather regular models

I hope this post helps and gives you a little guidance as to whats happening. If you have any questions don't hesitate to drop me a private message.

Too end the post here is my favorite chart of the day smile.gif

h850t850eu.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=1065a0d15b23c0a65b73c0f68ab6cba95b73c002&dopsig=854fb6866ce8d327cc273c961801b042

Excellent forecast that lewis and easy to read for the less knowledgable members good.gif

I do like the bit about leeds been a favoured location for tonight hehe biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

OK, it looks like a longer spell of snow is on the cards very shortly, check out HU17 on NW radar.

Still -2.1°C here with a DP of -3.7°C.

N Sea does look very agitated, check out: http://www.sat24.com/gb The disturbance off Norway may come this way, however, look to the west of Denmark. There is a lot of deep convection forming, including what looks like a line of convergence that is building West, right towards us.

Whatever happens it does look like we are in for plenty of shower activity tonightrolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Paul Hudson is staying up quite late lately lol. Hmm looks like more snow tonight then, I love this cold spell. waited for years for it haha.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Snow has arrived and it is the heaviest we have had since Tuesday! Temp has risen a tad to -1.9°C drinks.gif

Heavier than at any time on Tuesday shok.gif

Edited by Muffelchen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

The weather guy on bbc is just trying to make it out as though the snow is bad but you can just tell hes enjoying it haha.

Posted

Thanks, hope to get some more over eekend too of possible:yahoo::)

You can have as much of ours as you want if you come and fetch it. After two days snowed-in we finally managed to get out today after a neighbouring farmer came round with his JCB.

Sunday is now looking most likely for more significant snow, bitterly cold with it too. Up here in the hills we'll likely get some drifting as the wind picks up :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Where In Scarborough are you? I'm in Osgodby and it seems to be slowing for now. Looks good for more through the next hour or 2.

I'm up near the hospital. Hovingham Drive is covered over after the first lot. Now it's starting up again. Seems like the slow is a little finer this time though.

Posted

Its the shield for this years Fa cup,premiership, and champions league champions!!! :)

Back to the weather... those showers are fizzlin a bit but I thinks the later ones mite produce something for this far inland.

Currently -7. But been out with dog funnily enuff called EDUARDO and the slush on road not freezing!!

Where in Barnsley U?

I only have -4.43c here.

If the slush aint freezing this tells me it can't be -7???

We had -11.73c last night :)

Posted

Excellent summary there Lewis :drinks: , very well thought out & with a long fetch Easterly on the cards it's time south of the Humber got in on the act :( ! Be nice to be on the heavier side of precip :( .

Posted

Snowing heavily here now in East Hull, with a lot more intense showers packing into East Yorkshire as i type.

Hi Lewis, do you think the showers will stread a little further south tonight?

Posted

fresh covering in Barton after that intense shower of about 30 mins ago, more on its way too.... :cold:

Posted

Snowing heavily here now in East Hull, with a lot more intense showers packing into East Yorkshire as i type.

Started in Normanton WF6 S/E of Leeds

Only light flakes..........................

Posted

Hi Lewis, do you think the showers will stread a little further south tonight?

Its very possible indeed, they are gradually working their way down the coast. Although i think your in prime position tomorrow.

Posted

Where in Barnsley U?

I only have -4.43c here.

If the slush aint freezing this tells me it can't be -7???

We had -11.73c last night :cold:

In Royston but out in countryside, reading at present -6.8. It isnt freezing the slush, dunt ask me how its just not.

Posted

Looking good isn't it! These showers seem to getting inland. So although they lose some intensity i may see a good dusting to perhaps a cm by the early hours smile.gif Great forecast by the way. Into next week is looking good with a further risk of showers and flurries smile.gif

Edited by mark bayley