Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I'm looking out of my window here in Folkestone (I'm below Capel Hill) and the footprints and the tyre prints are very quickly being covered, even heavier now than the first bout of snow earlier this evening.

Tomorrow morning will be entertaining to say the least. Some of the roads have not been gritted. Our own road, you can not see the difference between the paths and the road.

Immense.

eased off here now, a little short of 4", looks amazing

Posted

Yes but it's a notorious frost hollow, the bbc mentioned it aswell so i'm sure they're pretty sure.

Where is Benson? I'm assuming it's in the wilds of Scotland somewhere. [Runs to look up this epic frost hollow]

Posted

Nick

Dont want to drag this thread off topic as there are other areas of the forum for the GW Debate...........However To answer this quickly

I have never believed in Global Warming Theories or Theorists and much more believe the Cycle Theory in what is happening. We are getting this weather as you well know due to the fabulous Synoptics we are seeing, Alternating Greenland and Scandi Highs with huge Bloacking effectively blocking out the Atlantic, obviously we are going to remain in the cold artic conditions and re-sets look favoured over Bartletts!

I firmly believe we and Northern Europe are now into a Phase of Cold Winter with 2008/09 Being the starter for 10 - And I use 10 for a reason!

Our last phase of starters for 10 were from 1978 until 1987 with 7 our of those 10 being very cold winter 1979,1981,1982,1984,1985,1986,1987

I think we are now entering another cycle with 2009/2010 being the 2nd in a series, we might not get it agan next year but could/should get another 2 or 3 before 2015!

Just my views

Paul S

Amen to someone that is brave enough to have that view, especially in the current climate whereby even questioning it is met with the view that you're a flat earther. My view which i think is sensible and allows for everyone to be involved, is this, the earth has natural warming and cooling cycles, because warmer cycles might cause problems for the population and because we don't want everyone choking on the pollution then we should reduce these as much as possible so as not to make a bad situation even worse. Personally i'd like all those billions spent on re forestation and feeding the hungry not on some wind turbine.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

Where is Benson? I'm assuming it's in the wilds of Scotland somewhere. [Runs to look up this epic frost hollow]

Nope. Not on Wikipedia...

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

It's in Oxfordshire.

Posted

Yes but it's a notorious frost hollow, the bbc mentioned it aswell so i'm sure they're pretty sure.

I grant you that but not 10C difference, thats too extreme IMO...and besides there are plenty of other frost hollows out there, Redhill is another and should be much closer to Benson if that was a solid reading.

Still IF it is a verified, thats quite frankly amazing.

Posted

"The village is also a well-known frost-pocket, sometimes recording the lowest night-time temperatures in the UK. This minor climatic quirk may have led to the village's part in the development of modern meteorology, with an important meteorological observatory being located in the village in the early 19th Century."

Posted

Just watched the latest News 24 forecast and im started to get excited. He said "E Midlands, Norfolk, Cambs" could get a good dumping of snow in the morning. Always reassuring to here E Midlands being mentioned because obviously its to my W.

Speaking of forecasts but a very strange one on Sky TV. No snow was mentioned for much of this region during Friday or Saturday. They concentrated the snow on Lincs, NE England and then said the snow would move into the Wash,Norfolk during saturday.

Personally I never take much notice of TV forecasts when convection is likely and find the forecasts on that particular day more reliable. However you don't need them then because of the radar!

Snow showers are getting more widespread around Lincs,Wash.

Posted

Hi Kold,

they stopped using Redhill as a weather station a couple of years ago as I believe it was skewing the figures... the nearest weather station is now Charlwood - it's pretty much at the end of the runway at Gatwick and is measuring -3.0c at present...

Posted

Oxfordshire. It is very often colder than other stations, but 10C difference? Perhaps not

Aha. A mate of mine says Oxon has the coldest average temp of any English county, which I always found surprising. Maybe Benson has led to a canard?

Anyway, anyone know the record low set in England? I think the UK record is 21.7, but that's obviously a Scots record.

Posted

I think we are now entering another cycle with 2009/2010 being the 2nd in a series, we might not get it agan next year but could/should get another 2 or 3 before 2015!

Just my views

Paul S

Funny you say this because I said exactly the same thing to my mother earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Nick

Dont want to drag this thread off topic as there are other areas of the forum for the GW Debate...........However To answer this quickly

I have never believed in Global Warming Theories or Theorists and much more believe the Cycle Theory in what is happening. We are getting this weather as you well know due to the fabulous Synoptics we are seeing, Alternating Greenland and Scandi Highs with huge Bloacking effectively blocking out the Atlantic, obviously we are going to remain in the cold artic conditions and re-sets look favoured over Bartletts!

I firmly believe we and Northern Europe are now into a Phase of Cold Winter with 2008/09 Being the starter for 10 - And I use 10 for a reason!

Our last phase of starters for 10 were from 1978 until 1987 with 7 our of those 10 being very cold winter 1979,1981,1982,1984,1985,1986,1987

Just my views

Paul S

I think you're right. Trouble is the GW theorists have been insisting we could or would never have another cold winter such as this one seems to be developing into.

To them I just say 38 cms of accumulated snow, 15 miles from the middle of the south coast of the UK in 24 hours and a possible 10 year run of cold winters. Perhaps instead of faffing around with wind turbines it might concentrate people's minds and get them insulating their houses which would be far more reductive a) their heating bills, fuel usage and :cold: of CO2 if the GW-ers are correct after all — win and win.

Posted

Aha. A mate of mine says Oxon has the coldest average temp of any English county, which I always found surprising. Maybe Benson has led to a canard?

Anyway, anyone know the record low set in England? I think the UK record is 21.7, but that's obviously a Scots record.

-26.7c I think in Shawbury (Shropshire) 1981 :good:

Posted

"The village is also a well-known frost-pocket, sometimes recording the lowest night-time temperatures in the UK. This minor climatic quirk may have led to the village's part in the development of modern meteorology, with an important meteorological observatory being located in the village in the early 19th Century."

The thing that makes it more possible is the sheer amount of snow that has fallen in the region plus the skies should be clear. Temp profiles do support such temps in a frost hollow.

Even so I stil lhave my doubts given the sheer difference in temps between the stations nearby...hence why I'm holding fire...but if it does end up standing, as I said before thats amazing and probably a record daily low for the region I'd imagine.

Posted

Just watched the latest News 24 forecast and im started to get excited. He said "E Midlands, Norfolk, Cambs" could get a good dumping of snow in the morning. Always reassuring to here E Midlands being mentioned because obviously its to my W.

Speaking of forecasts but a very strange one on Sky TV. No snow was mentioned for much of this region during Friday or Saturday. They concentrated the snow on Lincs, NE England and then said the snow would move into the Wash,Norfolk during saturday.

Personally I never take much notice of TV forecasts when convection is likely and find the forecasts on that particular day more reliable. However you don't need them then because of the radar!

Hi Dave, it is looking good on the radar for the sticky-outy bit of East Anglia, AKA not-very-snowy-so-far-Norfolk! Wonder how quick it will pass through as I believe the winds are to pick up? Fingers crossed it being on a NE wind and it makes it over to you too.

Posted

Record low England January 1981 -26.1c

Record low Scotland -27.2c 1895, 1982 and 1995

Record low N.Ireland -17.5c 1979

Wales -23.2c January 1940

Cornwall -16.0c 1979

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

-26.7c I think in Shawbury (Shropshire) 1981 :good:

Cheers. So my UK number is obviously wrong! Aha I see it is minus 27. Actually I'm surprised at the very small margin in the records between Eng and Sco

Posted

pardon.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifclap.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I do think the Met Office are guilty of ramping AGW sometimes, but a lot of the criticism they get is OTT, take this for example:

What does this say about climate change?

Climate change is taking place as the earth continues to warm up.

In the UK, 2009 as a whole was the 14th-warmest on record (since 1914). This above-average temperature trend was reflected globally, with 2009 being the fifth-warmest year on the global record (since 1850).

The current cold weather in the UK is part of the normal regional variations that take place in the winter season. It doesn’t tell us anything about climate change, which has to be looked at in a global context and over longer periods of time.

Taken from the Met Office release on the winter. Someone inferred from it that the Met Office was blaming the current winter on global warming. Where exactly does the above support this?

Posted

1981 -25.2 Shawbury (Shrops.) 13 December, i think the lowest record in England.

Gives some perspective on that particular cold spell, as the media are saying this cold spell is the longest since then.

the lowest record in UK is

1982 -27.2 Braemar 10 January and 1995 -27.2 Altnaharra 30 December

Posted

Record low England January 1981 -26.1c

Record low Scotland -27.2c 1895, 1982 and 1995

Record low N.Ireland -17.5c 1979

Wales -23.2c January 1940

Cheers OP. Surprised how close the English and Scots records are. Slightly frustrating if truth be told!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I've got a feeling another Wash streamer might be developing TEITS, enjoy! :good:

Posted

Nick

Just my views

Paul S

Thats the way i see things, cycle thats what it is!