Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
Posted

Flash warning from Met office for NORFOLK

Heavy Snow 2251 Wed 6 0800 Thu 7 Sleet and snow showers are expected to give further accumulations of around 5cm overnight. This will fall onto frozen surfaces causing icy stretches on untreated surfaces. Some drifting and blowing snow is possible in strong winds.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advise on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 2253 Wed 6 Jan

Edited by Mrsf16

Posted

Manchesters reading -12c. The record of -15c is seriously at threat. Amazing to think the BBC had a low of -8c for them.

That won't go because somehow the reading will be deemed as innacurate due to faulty equipment by the UKMO! i mean who needs a cold weather record broken and all that bad publicity for their useless winter forecast, not withstanding it's not a great news item when they've been sticking the whole GW debate down everyones throats in every single interview!

Posted
Posted

Laying much faster than I can clear our front path here in Dover now... getting a right pasting... more than I thought possible for tonight... blizzard conditions at the moment!

Posted

Just thought I'd share a couple of pics of Reigate if I can...

Priory Park in the morning...

Trees in the park

Ahem, yes well...

A large snowball at the bottom of my road...

OK, I obviously can't... but I'll try again!

Edited by Great Plum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

Laying much faster than I can clear our front path here in Dover now... getting a right pasting... more than I thought possible for tonight... blizzard conditions at the moment!

still coming down here too was not expecting this much BONUS!

still coming down here too was not expecting this much BONUS!

did someone say we still in for more tomorrrow?

Posted

Sorry, should have mentioned the Benbecula reading is at a broken site. It would be impossible to get temperatures thast low in the outer Hebrides.

Agree Nick.

Yes they should put Helen Willets in charge and give that smug GW obsessive his P45! Can we ask the bbc to interview someone not sponsored by some bio fuels company, how about John Kettley, i was most impressed with his interview today.

Posted

oh well looks like benbecula has taken the record!

Crikey. Are those numbers verified?! Even Heathrow is posting -6 down here in the heat island and it's only 2330.

Posted

oh well looks like benbecula has taken the record!

The Benbecula readings have been way off the mark for some days now because the equipment is faulty

Posted

post-10334-12628202539552_thumb.jpg

post-10334-12628202927252_thumb.jpg

the scene here a few minutes ago, we are quite low lying here so I dread to think the situation up near Whitfield and over the downs here in East Kent.

Posted

the MetO Inventis "rainfall" prediction is impressive for tomorrow ....

you can see the low spiralling in from the N-East - very impressive

Posted

Those temps are insane...however I have a feeling Benson isn't accurate, esp when many other stations around it are recording a more reasonable -5/6....I refuse to believe there is currently a 10C gradient over the space of about 10 miles!

Something not right, that certainly won't be counted given all other data around it isn't even in the same league.

Posted

Just thought I'd share a couple of pics of Reigate if I can...

Priory Park in the morning...

post-686-12628203143252_thumb.jpg

Trees in the park

post-686-12628202766452_thumb.jpg

Ahem, yes well...

post-686-12628203360552_thumb.jpg

A large snowball at the bottom of my road...

post-686-12628203542552_thumb.jpg

Posted

Kold going back to your last post. Im somewhat confused. The N.sea at the Estuary mouth, is 2c cooler than it was when the NE wind on 17th/18th Dec dumped nearly 6'' of pure powder here. Why an issue for Sundays potential snowfest?

Posted

Those temps are insane...however I have a feeling Benson isn't accurate, esp when many other stations around it are recording a more reasonable -5/6....I refuse to believe there is currently a 10C gradient over the space of about 10 miles!

Something not right, that certainly won't be counted given all other data around it isn't even in the same league.

Yes but it's a notorious frost hollow, the bbc mentioned it aswell so i'm sure they're pretty sure.

Posted

That won't go because somehow the reading will be deemed as innacurate due to faulty equipment by the UKMO! i mean who needs a cold weather record broken and all that bad publicity for their useless winter forecast, not withstanding it's not a great news item when they've been sticking the whole GW debate down everyones throats in every single interview!

Nick

Dont want to drag this thread off topic as there are other areas of the forum for the GW Debate...........However To answer this quickly

I have never believed in Global Warming Theories or Theorists and much more believe the Cycle Theory in what is happening. We are getting this weather as you well know due to the fabulous Synoptics we are seeing, Alternating Greenland and Scandi Highs with huge Bloacking effectively blocking out the Atlantic, obviously we are going to remain in the cold artic conditions and re-sets look favoured over Bartletts!

I firmly believe we and Northern Europe are now into a Phase of Cold Winter with 2008/09 Being the starter for 10 - And I use 10 for a reason!

Our last phase of starters for 10 were from 1978 until 1987 with 7 our of those 10 being very cold winter 1979,1981,1982,1984,1985,1986,1987

I think we are now entering another cycle with 2009/2010 being the 2nd in a series, we might not get it agan next year but could/should get another 2 or 3 before 2015!

Just my views

Paul S

Posted

haha benbecula is obviously a station error! benson does seem a bit out of place given the temperatuers of locations around it - i don't know how much the frost hollow effect can change things in these situations..

down to -5.2 here though!

Posted

Someone was saying on the other forum that Manchester's is verified at minus 10 at the moment under heavy snow cover up there. Apparently Wilmslow or somewhere just south of there is minus 13 already. The all time record for Manchester City is minus 15 apparentely. Could be in with a chance given the very heavy snow cover (15cm)

Posted

I'm looking out of my window here in Folkestone (I'm below Capel Hill) and the footprints and the tyre prints are very quickly being covered, even heavier now than the first bout of snow earlier this evening.

Tomorrow morning will be entertaining to say the least. Some of the roads have not been gritted. Our own road, you can not see the difference between the paths and the road.

Immense.

Posted

It's happened before Kold. Benson is in a frost hollow so with the heat rising and...when you know the science there's no need to explain.

If they discount the reading I will be Lettuceed off.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yes they should put Helen Willets in charge and give that smug GW obsessive his P45! Can we ask the bbc to interview someone not sponsored by some bio fuels company, how about John Kettley, i was most impressed with his interview today.

Yes, I was impressed by him too, he downplayed the media hype about this cold spell being compared to '62/'63 and put some perspective on it.

Also he is independent of the MetO these days, so unlikely to be held at the throat by any GW agenda!