Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

you know they always talk about foreign species and bugs and things that attack our plants and wildlife surely this cold snap will do wonders to kill them all off lol?

Indeed. As a gardener, I'd estimate that in 2009 summer, the slug/snail population was about 40% of what it had been the previous 2 summers. And I got the best crop of garlic (planted autumn 2008) I've ever had — still using it now after 5 months, I put it down to the low temps in Jan/Feb last year.

Posted

Latest Fax for tomorrow.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack0.gif

I've been looking at the NAE, NMM and I actually think two bands are going to sweep S across the region. The first one in the morning and the second one during the evening.

Expecting snow showers in 10mins here.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Posted

you know they always talk about foreign species and bugs and things that attack our plants and wildlife surely this cold snap will do wonders to kill them all off lol?

Bugs, the rats would be a good thing here in the fens they can be a big problem around the farms where food is stored, so i hope this cold last alongtime to kill them off and of course the bugs.

Posted

Indeed. As a gardener, I'd estimate that in 2009 summer, the slug/snail population was about 40% of what it had been the previous 2 summers. And I got the best crop of garlic (planted autumn 2008) I've ever had — still using it now after 5 months, I put it down to the low temps in Jan/Feb last year.

i have a sort of palm tree sort of plant dont know how to describe it not sure how its going to hold up lol, up until december though even the summer flowers were still doing well now they are frozen mush

Posted

Bit off topic again but in norfolk this summer we were infested by millions of ladybirds, i wonder if they knew what was coming and multiplied so that they would survive the winter?

Sorry.....bit random!

I love to hear things like that, always amazed at how perfect nature is and how terrible man has become working in unity with it.

A good friend who is a gardener told me even before Glazier Point about a cold winter this year!

He told me in early November the birds are leaving the berries on the tree's late this year as they are expecting a cold winter??

Turned out to be very accurate!

Posted

Bit off topic again but in norfolk this summer we were infested by millions of ladybirds, i wonder if they knew what was coming and multiplied so that they would survive the winter?

Sorry.....bit random!

ah yes the Harlequins, they were a right pest for about 3 days!

Posted

Latest Fax for tomorrow.

I've been looking at the NAE, NMM and I actually think two bands are going to sweep S across the region. The first one in the morning and the second one during the evening.

What is your post code PE? just the numbers so i can see where you are.Thanks

Posted

Sorry.....bit random!

Still got them on my kitchen ceiling. I gave up getting rid of them along with the hundreds of spiders I have everywhere. Won't forget the last year in a hurry, everything seems to have happened

Posted

Low Temps are very impressive tonight and we have got to seriously start thinking that quite a few places might have an ice day tomorrow. Sunshine in the south of the region at first but once the cloud shield moves south and precip falls many places will find it hard to creep above +0.0 tomorrow. Certainly no worries about marginality tomorrow for Snow!

Currently here @ 00.20

Temp - Minus 3.8c

Windchill - Minus 7.6c

Dewpoint - Minus 6.4c

Night all and good luck tomorrow

Paul S

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

Latest Fax for tomorrow.

Thanks for the updates mate, and get your hip sorted out tomorrow. :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I very likely will miss the snow tomorrow as I'm heading to Guildford...I suppose the 6-7 inches on the ground is a little compensation for that mind you... :)

I used to go to college there, give the old place my love. If you can venture a little further south, they've had 28 cms and one place (think it might be Lynchmere) near my old postcode had 38 of the little beauties…

I'm going to bed now, tired but happy, hope that low delivers the goods tomorrow. Night all :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

just checking temps around UK and XCWeather are confirming benbecula at -29°C and i thought it was cold in C London at -3°C

Are you serious? If this is the case its the lowest ever UK temperture I think.

Posted

Latest Fax for tomorrow.

http://www.wetterzen...pics/brack0.gif

Where do I find the NAE TEITS? It seems to be spot on. I had a hunt around earlier but with a USB stick everything slow to load up on any weather related site

Posted

Bugs, the rats would be a good thing here in the fens they can be a big problem around the farms where food is stored, so i hope this cold last alongtime to kill them off and of course the bugs.

Having lived in London most of my life, I thought that it was only cities that had rats......doh

Since moving to the countryside, I now realise this is their true habitat and the fields and barns are just teeming with rats! Lol.

Rats do love barns!

Posted

Thanks to all the forecasters with their excellent posts. We saw just over 24 hours of snowfall and have seen near on a foot.

Just back from the darts at Lakeside and after a few drinks feel like joining in the rant!

Glad to see people on here aren't buying into the Global Warming propaganda. Co2 is breathed out buy us every other second and it is a food for plants. My grandfather used to buy it to feed to his plants and get bumper crops. It occurs in such minor levels in our atmosphere a large volcano can increase it noticeably.

Don't get me wrong, we have a massive consumption problem to deal with as well as polluting our air and water. But co2 is a means to drain money from the masses

Want to cut the levels, encourage more allotments and educate people to grow their own food, balancing the equation which is natures way, cutting down on transportation, exploitation of workers in foreign lands, packaging not to mention the good health benefits of the exercise and the connection we feel when working in harmony with the planet.

We get charged for over filling our bins with the crap corporations package there stuff in, erm, maybe make laws to stop the problem at source making it illegal to package anything in something other than recyclable material. And not 2 or 3 layers of it!

I have a strong knowing that there is massively corrupted forces in our system working against the people.

The beauty of this weather is it makes people step back form the rat race and rather than ignoring everyone and avoiding eye contact we start to help each other and step back from the rat race. Long may it continue, bring back community living!

Sorry. Rant over..

Not a rant, just common sense. I'll vote for you. lol

Posted

just checking temps around UK and XCWeather are confirming benbecula at -29°C and i thought it was cold in C London at -3°C

Is that for real? If so isn't that a new UK record low?

I know the Gulf Stream keeps our seas warm, but surely at -29 it would start to freeze.

One thing not discussed yet is tomorrows MAXIMA-

timings could be very good for the cloud to roll in in the early morning ( especially essex & herts ) & surpress the temp-

these could easily sit in the -3 / -4 region when the snow arrives....

Expect some rivers to start frezzing tomorrow- although last of the VERY cold nights tonight-

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

Latest Fax for tomorrow.

http://www.wetterzen...pics/brack0.gif

Hats off to you TEITS, you said 10 mins, and Its coming down outside as I type (PE2 area)! Excellent forecasting!!!

Gotta love having a lampost outside!!! Off to bed to watch it falling from my bed.

Mrs F x

Edited by Mrsf16

Posted

TEITS, hope you get to the Hosp o.k tomorrow.

I am also due up in town with a friend to the National. Then Friday my Dad is due an operation.

Loads were cancelled today, I hope his isn't as he is in agony. :unsure:

Turning in now, up very late radar watching last night and I'm not getting any younger.

Edited by cj114