Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Hmmm. Interesting going's on here. The low level shower type cloud is still heading in a NW/SE direction. But the upper cloud I can see above it is coming in off the N.Sea in a NE/SW direction. What's happening here I wonder. Could it be the start of a Thames Streamer... Winds are progged to shift ENE later this eve if not earlier.

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Hmmm..... We got affected here in St. Albans by the streamer back in Feb I think.......

(You in St. Albans Archie?)

Yes us too back in Feb! I think if that was a Thames streamer?

Posted
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)

It depends on the wind direction. A straight NE'erly will give showers to south London, NW KentSussex and Surrey.

A straight Easterly, ENE'erly or ESE'erly will affect the whole of London, south Essex, and the north coast of Kent (except in an ESE'erly)

As a (nearly) lifelong SE Londoner I would suggest that the overland track from a straight NE'ley is too long for any showers to reach us - but we have done very well in the past few years from ENE and E winds.

DS

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

The wind direction is NOT NE or EAST , this would go against the flow of the low pressure... All wind report stations are currently still West/North West.

Posted

To me looks the Low's centre is in the outer Estuary now? The showers there seem to be pivoting back westwards from a southeasterly direction earlie.

This means that across Kent the wind is largely NW/W but across north Essex/Suffolk it's now Eerly of some degree? and more of a Nerly across NW Kent/SW Essex

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

here in gravesend North West Kent. The Wind has changed direction to a ENE over the past 30 mins or so...

Not yet it hasn't Chris. WNW as per http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Posted

Hmmm. Interesting going's on here. The low level shower type cloud is still heading in a NW/SE direction. But the upper cloud I can see above it is coming in off the N.Sea in a NE/SW direction. What's happening here I wonder. Could it be the start of a Thames Streamer... Winds are progged to shift ENE later this eve if not earlier.

Just needs a slow beat of drums in the background to your post, the excitement levels about to rise in next few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Yes us too back in Feb! I think if that was a Thames streamer?

Heading back home to south east London this evening, would be great if the Streamer kicked in! :yahoo: Feb 2nd 09 was a memorable dumping

Posted

To me looks the Low's centre is in the outer Estuary now? The showers there seem to be pivoting back westwards from a southeasterly direction earlie.

This means that across Kent the wind is largely NW/W but across north Essex/Suffolk it's now Eerly of some degree? and more of a Nerly across NW Kent/SW Essex

Wind still northerly in NE Essex

Posted

Hi folks, all we have in Charlton SE London is roughly 2.5 - 3 inches already ,, awaiting the next round of snow preferably heavy !!

At present heavy dark broken cloud passing over towards Kent ...

Posted

Hmmm..... We got affected here in St. Albans by the streamer back in Feb I think.......

(You in St. Albans Archie?)

Completely different set up back then Saint. This is more of a Northerly component. Back then is was pretty much all coming from the East.

Kent will do very well tonight I expect.

Stary skys for us....

Posted

We bagged six inches of powder on Feb 2 from one, although as you say I think S London tends to do better. Personally I hope they do, I have three plus inches of powder already in Ealing (Hanger Hill Park excellent tobogganing conditions for any snow starved west central Londoners, just get on the fully operational Central Line) but my mate in Brixton is well irritated with his 2cm! Good luck to the guys in south central London who have seen dismal amounts so far!

i aint done too bad about 4inches on ground at mo,and only about a mile or 2 from brixton.. anyway i do believe the thames streamer will happen, just gotta wait for that small low to dive southwards a tad more, but also depends the wind strength on north side of low??

if its a slack wind then the showers will take longer crossing the thames but will give more heavier convection to the shower, if its strong then the showers will just whip across giving flurry like showers.

known this from previous years

Posted

Heading back home to south east London this evening, would be great if the Streamer kicked in! :yahoo: Feb 2nd 09 was a memorable dumping

it was indeed. i'm so hopeful that this cold spell will eventually deliver for us.

we do have about 2 inches in my part of S London , but i would like to see some in the centre of town too.

Edited by jimmyay

Posted

Completely different set up back then Saint. This is more of a Northerly component. Back then is was pretty much all coming from the East.

Kent will do very well tonight I expect.

Stary skys for us....

Maybe but anything can happen!:yahoo::lol:

Posted

NOWCAST : Very grey /white looking clouds here. Had two heavy showers befor mid day. But only a few grains every now and again since then . Its +1 and the wind is n/nw at 8mph at this time : As the low sinks down the coast is the time to watch as this will bring in a more n/easterly. I will post the duch radar again in another post, for all that missed it yesterday

Posted

We had 8 inches in Burgess Hill

Posted

The wind direction is NOT NE or EAST , this would go against the flow of the low pressure... All wind report stations are currently still West/North West.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Snowing again!