Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted

Just checked the MetO website. For Newcastle it shows a Westerly at 3pm, NW at 6pm, a NNW at 9pm and finally an Eastery at midnight, so we may have quite a wait for the showers to start pushing more towards T and W.

Karl

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

As the high pressure orientates the movement of the activity looks like affecting places further north than it is currently showing, the upper winds 700hpa-500hpa have deviated from a NNE to a NE and will continue to swing to a ENE so those showers should start to make land fall round about Blyth/Ashington in a few of hours if not sooner......

Edited by NL

Posted

As the high pressure orientates the movement of the activity looks like affecting places further north than it is currently showing, the upper winds 700hpa-500hpa have deviated from a NNE to a NE and will continue to swing to a ENE so those showers should start to make land fall round about Blyth/Ashington in a few of hours if not sooner......

NL, if the upper-level wind is currently NNE,and the METO site is telling the public the wind is currently a westerly, does that info from the MET only refer to ground-level wind that people can feel on their faces ( as that is the only info relevant to the "man on the street").

Karl

Posted

NL, if the upper-level wind is currently NNE,and the METO site is telling the public the wind is currently a westerly, does that info from the MET only refer to ground-level wind that people can feel on their faces ( as that is the only info relevant to the "man on the street").

Karl

Yes... The surface winds are from a WSW direction at the minute but as your earlier post says they are forecast to swing round to an easterly.

Edited by NL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

We must see something tonight surely!? Even if the band carries on steaming into Teesside/County Durham those showers off the coast of Aberdeen would hit us! What worries me though is that the showers which have hit the County Durham coast fizzled out rather quickly dry.gif

Posted

We must see something tonight surely!? Even if the band carries on steaming into Teesside/County Durham those showers off the coast of Aberdeen would hit us! What worries me though is that the showers which have hit the County Durham coast fizzled out rather quickly dry.gif

If you watch the radar's recent loop, you can see that the band of showers is actually generating at the edge of the radar shadow, way up past Inverness somewhere. It then funnels straight down the North Sea and is at least 300 miles long. That's a hell of a long way. Now use your imagination a bit and picture the flow pushing that line towards us at the Southern end .If it sets up a rare Tyne Streamer you can visualise what could materialise into this winter's biggest dumping over the region tonight.( and possibly for years !) Anybody's thoughts?

Karl

Posted

If you watch the radar's recent loop, you can see that the band of showers is actually generating at the edge of the radar shadow, way up past Inverness somewhere. It then funnels straight down the North Sea and is at least 300 miles long. That's a hell of a long way. Now use your imagination a bit and picture the flow pushing that line towards us at the Southern end .If it sets up a rare Tyne Streamer you can visualise what could materialise into this winter's biggest dumping over the region tonight.( and possibly for years !) Anybody's thoughts?

Karl

Yeah i see where ya comin' from, tis' a possibility lets hope for a massive dumping.... then the thaw can come next week although i suspect it will be very slow as there's a lot of compact snow and not forgetting the thick ice underneath, caused from the sleet we (coastline residents) had just before the Newyear...Not looking forward to sleet and rain here on the coast next week especially in a raw strong easterly....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

radar is showing the humber estuary taking an absolute beating at the minute. anyone confirm? :wallbash:

They are southerners to us! Try the Yorkshire/Lincs thread I think they'll be in there.

Certainly does look good for that area.

Snowmackem I would love it if you were right, as long as the streamer continued into County Durham too. Would like to get over a foot, we've been hovering close to a foot for a few days now.

Posted

radar is showing the humber estuary taking an absolute beating at the minute. anyone confirm? :wallbash:

Try the

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion,...

Lewis will probably be in full ramp mode...haha

Posted

They are southerners to us! Try the Yorkshire/Lincs thread I think they'll be in there.

Certainly does look good for that area.

Snowmackem I would love it if you were right, as long as the streamer continued into County Durham too. Would like to get over a foot, we've been hovering close to a foot for a few days now.

Yeah, we've got exactly 10" in the garden, it'd be a shame to not reach a foot. One good downpour that's all!

Re my theory about a streamer. Thinking about it, if the wind started swinging round to the East at the top end first, then we would be the last to benefit from it, by which time the train of showers would have disintegrated from the North = no chance of a streamer.We really need the Easterly push to begin down here before moving North. Then we should find the showers/spells of snow being sucked round over the top and straight up the Tyne.Of course, then we would be looking for showers to generate out to the East to continue feeding the Beast. The other possibility is that there is a general and rapid swing to the East right down the coast. This could give a shorter more intense period of snow from the existing line and then we would again be reying on shower generation from the East once more.

Anybody have any ideas which is the most probable (or none). My guess would be option B.

Karl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

WOW here in teeside its been snowing since 1:30 moderate/heavy and at times blizzards oh just mouth watering! :drinks:

Posted

I have been in Middlesbrough all day and have seen on and off showers since lunchtime. Travelling up the coast at present. Heavy snow between Boro and Thornaby, less dense up to Billingham where there are clearing skies.Will have to see how things develop later but pleased to have two days with no essential travelling ahead.

Posted

in the past hour it would appear it is moving slightly more ne-sw - any one else confirm what I am seeing?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

that band over eastern Scotland looks good for here later tonight.

I would second that Peter. Especially if it intensifies on the way down. Whats you estimate on landfall? I recon about 9pm

Posted

in the past hour it would appear it is moving slightly more ne-sw - any one else confirm what I am seeing?

Agreed Izi, just need it to continue round a bit more, the Smoggies have had enough now, time to share lol

Posted

How crap, I'm in the south of the region but too far inland. I secretly hoped I'd get a pasting of this but it's all missed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Certainly looks very good for the top part. As long as it keeps intensity that looks bang on target to hit us later. Got to feel sorry for people on the coastal tip of Aberdeenshire, nice streamer passing within a few miles of the coastline. Hopefully we'll get lucky later and get a nice long streamer.

Posted

No, you are imagining it and it is not anymore NE-SW than it was before. I wish it was!

Posted

Hope your right but I just don't see it. I think I've spat the dummy after that lot fizzled out before lol.

Posted

That band is moving towards us now,hopefully the 2 bands will converge right over us later on.:nonono:

Posted

Hope your right but I just don't see it. I think I've spat the dummy after that lot fizzled out before lol.

lol you'll get used to depressive moments once youl've followed it long enough.

i'm quietly confident about tonight.