Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

They should hit between 11:00 and 12:00, no glitch on MetOffice radar smile.gif They were the showers I was referring to when I said you could get snow around lunchtime, though they'll probably arrive just before.

Oh Okay mate :nonono: how come met has no warning out for snow in our area? as 5-10cm could fall on top of what we already have

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Oh Okay mate :) how come met has no warning out for snow in our area? as 5-10cm could fall on top of what we already have

I presume its because they don't know what's going to happen with these showers. Once they hit land there will probably be warnings issued unless something changes to mean that they'll be lighter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

I presume its because they don't know what's going to happen with these showers. Once they hit land there will probably be warnings issued unless something changes to mean that they'll be lighter.

Okay mate anyways im off to school in a min cya bud :)

Posted

Glorious morning again after about a couple of cms of snow last night,8am temperature was -11c. Judging by the latest ECMF charts show we are now on borrowed time but you never know,enjoy it folks.

wasnt the ECMF showing prolonged cold only yesterday?

Everyone jumped ship to ECM because it performed better than the GFS at the beggining of this cold spell... quite funny the GFS has had the warm up starting around middle of next week for quite some time, so are people now favouring GFS again? :)

In my mind, it was always going to happen around then. Looking at the charts there is no possible outcome other than a milder interlude due to the pressure set up on the charts. On a positive note AO is still negative, so we probably will see a return to colder conditions.

Posted

Looks to me like they're going to paste the entire coast of Durham and the N York Moors. The further south they get, the more they swing from the east. This takes them up the Tees Valley rather than just over the moors like the early morning weather graphics showed.

Yep, even Tyne and wear will be facing a few during the daylight hours at this rate, the BBC had them over the moors but current track suggests otherwise!

Fingers Crossed

SNOW-MAN2006

Posted

Those showers are going to be frustratingly close to me if I miss out this afternoon! They look like clipping southern parts of Tyneside at least! wallbash.gif I need them to move 10-20 miles further north.

Its also worth pointing out that Country Durham might get the heaviest snow this afternoon.

Posted

Nowt due till after 12 today Keith according to the forecast.

I think they are going to be to far south for us and even if they hit land further north its going to be coastal.

Posted

I think for here in Tyne and Wear we need to be watching the ones further up the coast (Alnwick and above) and the large mass currently developing about 150 miles off the coast. With Gods grace and a fair wind.......

Karl

Edited by snowmackem

Posted

wasnt the ECMF showing prolonged cold only yesterday?

Everyone jumped ship to ECM because it performed better than the GFS at the beggining of this cold spell... quite funny the GFS has had the warm up starting around middle of next week for quite some time, so are people now favouring GFS again? :drinks:

In my mind, it was always going to happen around then. Looking at the charts there is no possible outcome other than a milder interlude due to the pressure set up on the charts. On a positive note AO is still negative, so we probably will see a return to colder conditions.

I reckon it is very much in the air as to whether we get anything mild at all,tonights ECMF will give us a much better idea-the 00hrs might just be a wobble but if it does not climb down then at least a short lived break in the cold would probably be indicated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Maybe a bit more for Newton Aycliffe if I'm lucky. Just wish things would swing in a bit more.

Definitely looking good for that area if it stays on it's current track and maintains intensity. Looks like it will come onshore just south of Sunderland. Looks like missing Consett and Stanley so a chance for Newton Aycliffe to catch up a bit.

Posted

Definitely looking good for that area if it stays on it's current track and maintains intensity. Looks like it will come onshore just south of Sunderland. Looks like missing Consett and Stanley so a chance for Newton Aycliffe to catch up a bit.

I'd rather have it at Consett and Stanley Mark, especially as I've already got my day off work today. But still I'd settle for work getting another dumping lol.

Posted

wow those showers are pepping up. looks like some people are going to get several inches of snow from this.

Posted

Some parts of Country Durham / Teesside are going to get an absolute pasting, I reckon 5-15cm in places. Looks like Newcastle is going to miss the lot :nonono:

Posted

I work in South Shields,about a mile from the coast. Just nipped outside to check and the sky is blackening over the coast, looks like we may get something fairly soon, the cloud is steaming in !

Karl

Posted

The weather forecast on BBC News 24 still shows the snow moving south, but the presenter said Northumberland, Newcastle and Sunderland need to watch out for 10cm of snow later on in the day :)

Posted

11:00 radar out, it looks like Newcastle will catch a few of those showers with the bulk remaining to the south.

Posted

Some people in our region are going to get a reet pastin today.:lol:

Another 5 inches for teeside perhaps?

Posted

Some people in our region are going to get a reet pastin today.:drinks:

Perhaps, but to me the heaviest stuff is heading for Durham? I reckon anyone in those showers could get 2-4 inches and I wouldn't be surprised to hear reports of 6 locally.

Posted

Some people in our region are going to get a reet pastin today.:drinks:

Certainly looking that way. It looks as if the entire linear formation is gonna pass straight over there. So glad I stayed at home today!