Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Interesting to note that the showery activity has pepped up slightly in the North Sea around NE Scotland, sign that the colder uppers perhaps making an impact.

Friday and even Saturday looks interesting, we shall see though as the BBC forecasts has been up and down.

Snow shower about to hit here now by the looks of it.

Just had that here nice fairly heavy 15 min shower....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

These showers do a very good job of skirting round Newcastle. I am off to bed and am sure there will be more showers to the North and South of here :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Tomorrow evening is looking promising, and also there was a mention of showers pepping up tomorrow evening on the local news;

post-4252-12629053291752_thumb.png

Weekend not looking dreadful with percipitation around albeit not very heavy but its still here, meaning snow should nver be too far away!

A few more CM's to come for most i feel ...

Just a shame there isnt the big foot here, if we where 20 miles north i feel Sunderland would be buried, but we have a measly 6-8cm here, nothing special...

And i hear TWS is preeching how next week things are guna start to thaw at the coast, ooo my days! Someone just shoot me now, i havent endured a month of freezing cold to hear this is all im likley to get ! !LOL! Rant over! haha

Ahwell, i might just have to re-locate.... 10 miles inland, 400+m up, and have a snow magnet on my roof!

No more snow showers for the next 4 or 5 hours i feel judging by the radar, but who knows, anything can happen... bar a blizzard depositing my foot of snow :D

SNOW-MAN2006

I'm amazed you've only got 6-8cm considering that Cleadon had up to 12cm on New Year's Day (which I made a point of measuring with a ruler in three different parts of the snow cover and taking an average of the readings, as per MetO guidelines) and is currently reporting 15cm. Must be either localised differences in shower activity or a greater urban heat island effect.

Tomorrow and Saturday should give you more topups as I don't see either day getting much above freezing- indeed tomorrow probably won't make freezing at all for the second day in a row. However, I am confident that on Sunday it will be less cold with sleet and a slow thaw near the east coast, so make the most of tomorrow/Saturday if you can.

Posted

It's really coming down here, it's laid 2cm fresh in next to no time and I estimate we are only about half way through. The temperature has sky rocketed from -4.6 to -3.1 during the snow.

Posted

just got in from work and Ive just got one thing to say yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif this is unreal, I aint joking when I say 5 inches of snow has fell in 5 hours and its still coming down yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Posted

Easing off a bit here now. Nice to see my work in Newton Aycliffe is getting a good dose though.

The radar shows another small clump heading for Consett hat seems to have been gowing as it crosses land (maybe I'm just getting greedy now :D)

Posted

Nice little snow shower that was, intensity at times was greater than from the trough and the snowflakes were also bigger.

Don't think we will see many showers tonight but this shower did develop pretty quickly on the radar and a few more speckles are developing in the North Sea albeit mostly near Scotland and not over us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

TWS im 8miles from the coast i should be okay with my snowcover shouldnt I with loads more snow to come :D And no melt should take place here?

Posted

Absolutely bleaching it down mate. :drinks:

Haha. We use a company from Aycliffe Business Park for our gritting. They sent a fax the other day saying they were running out of salt. Could be fun tomorrow if we can't get any wagons onto the site.

Posted

just got in from work and Ive just got one thing to say yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif this is unreal, I aint joking when I say 5 inches of snow has fell in 5 hours and its still coming down yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

You deserve it after that crappy sleet you had the other day.:drinks:

Posted

TWS im 8miles from the coast i should be okay with my snowcover shouldnt I with loads more snow to come :drinks: And no melt should take place here?

once they pull the steelworks down,you'll get a brand new microclimate.

it happened here.

Posted

once they pull the steelworks down,you'll get a brand new microclimate.

it happened here.

Would that mean id become colder or warmer?

Posted

You deserve it after that crappy sleet you had the other day.good.gif

Tell you what Cloud10, when I asked for a decent snow shower I did not expect this and theres more on the way looking at the orange sky heading in from the coast. This is deffo up there with Febuary 1992 snowfall event!!!

Posted

Would that mean id become colder or warmer?

cooler mate.the heat them industrial plants generate creates it's own microclimate.

mind i do miss the red snow,it was always a talking point lol.

Edited by peterf

Posted

cooler mate.the heat them industrial plants generate creates it's own microclimate.

There's always red snow at consett on a friday night.:drunk:

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

looks like some more fun spreading down from the northeast for tomorrow morning.

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

Yes the red snow is wonderful and it happenned tonight :drunk:

Posted

How pathetic is this?

I've just checked the Gateshead Council website. They have a special section on there atm about the bad weather. They have publish a list of questions and answered them. One is "How much grit/rocksalt do the council have left?" The answer they have given is 3 DAYS!! :)

So what happens after Sunday??

They go on to state that that in order to conserve supplies they are only going to grit main roads into Gateshead and bus routes. They have suspended gritting operations at school premises! Is that the real reason schools have had to close? If it is, it's scandalous. Our 3 yr old daughter has been distraught this week, she was due to start nursey on Wednesday and has been really looking forward to it for ages.Of course she hasn't been yet, so far we have been told the school is shut until at least Monday. Looking at the charts it may be closed until February. Great eh.

If anyone else checks out their council website, let us know what they say about their rocksalt stock levels, it will be interesting to see how close to shutdown we really are.

Karl

Posted

as off to bed lads.just to say it's been a great season so far, and it's great to have a bit northern crack.take care out there the morra,they reckon it could be slippy lol.

Posted

Wow. Just wow. Awesome heavy snow going on here atthe moment!

Craig it dropped 4.5cm in 45 minutes here. Rock on!