Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted

Very small fine flakes floating down now. Nice covering on the roads now again though! Added a good few CMs and nice to see a proper heavy shower considering I missed the one near new year while I was down in London. Off for some kip now but will be interesting to see of we get anymore overnight and into tomorrow :rolleyes:.

Haven't been out to measure Paul but a similar amount here I'd say. Definitely the fastest covering I've seen in a long time!

Edited by CraigUK

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

as off to bed lads.just to say it's been a great season so far, and it's great to have a bit northern crack.take care out there the morra,they reckon it could be slippy lol.

Aye non of this southern bias.... tis great to have seperate threads for occasions like this, looking at the other regional threads most are (if not all) are into double figures ours just part 9, just goes to show who are the minority on NW.. G'nite BTW...

Edited by NL

Posted

Aye non of this southern bias.... tis great to have seperate threads for occasions like this, looking at the other regional threads most are (if not all) are into double figures ours just part 9, just goes to show who are the minority on NW.. G'nite BTW...

Us lot don't spam though and post everytime a snow shower has gone lighter or heavier and report that a snow shower is 10mins away, then 5mins and so on. :air_kiss:

Today and into Saturday looks interesting at this stage, although it has to be said, the GFS PPN charts are not forecasting alot of PPN and they do tend to better than the BBC/UKMO in convective set ups.

Posted

Oh well another day off work. Can't get the car out of the street and one of the lads from Newton aycliffe says te roads are lethal down there. Took him 45mins to get in where it usually takes 5mins.

Theres some interesting developments ut in the North Sea at the minute which could be immense if they hit us although I think it may pass just to the South of us.

One question about the radar - from 0235 to 0240 this morning a load of snow just appears from nowhere, then from 0350 to 0355 it mostly disappears - is this a glitch with the radar?

Edited by davyf

Posted

Morning izi, how far are you from the city centre? Is there much on the roads?

as the crow flys about 2 miles from city centre.

there was about 1.5cm which fell last night and of course settled. there is about 6-7 inches in total here.

only the main roads are gritted, and the grit isnt working very well it has to be said, too cold

edit: i dont think we will see any snow today, possibly some tonight. the showers out to sea are heading for n york moors i beleive

Edited by izi

Posted

as the crow flys about 2 miles from city centre.

there was about 1.5cm which fell last night and of course settled. there is about 6-7 inches in total here.

only the main roads are gritted, and the grit isnt working very well it has to be said, too cold

edit: i dont think we will see any snow today, possibly some tonight. the showers out to sea are heading for n york moors i beleive

Yeh that's what I was worried about lol. Fingers crossed for us though that we get some even better stuff later!I've got my eyes focused for something growing off the NE coast of Scotland.

Edited by davyf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

I wonder if i can catch those showers?

Posted

I wonder if i can catch those showers?

I think you'll stand a half decent chance of getting at least something from them looking at the line they're taking. I just wish that wind would change a bit more easterly.

Looks like today's potential has disappeared.

Nowt due till after 12 today Keith according to the forecast. Just been speaking to my mam - she reckons there hasn't been a car up the street for a couple of days?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

NMM charts look good from about lunchtime. Hope we get the showers starting earlier today, I might get sent home especially as it's Friday.

Another day of radar watching to come!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

3rd day off school today :drinks:

The BBC graphics show that Teesside will get the heaviest of this afternoon's snow, then a bit later on it will push into more northern parts of the region, though it won't be as heavy as what Teesside might get. Then tomorrow there'll be a risk of snow showers.

I know those graphics don't tell the full story but it shows what could happen, and I do think that southern parts of the region stand a better chance this time round. Having said that those showers off the coast of NE Scotland look to be developing nicely and they would hit anywhere from South Northumberland southwards if they carried on with their current track.

Edited by alza

Posted

3rd day off school today biggrin.gif

The BBC graphics show that Teesside will get the heaviest of this afternoon's snow, then a bit later on it will push into more northern parts of the region, though it won't be as heavy as what Teesside might get. Then tomorrow there'll be a risk of snow showers.

I know those graphics don't tell the full story but it shows what could happen, and I do think that southern parts of the region stand a better chance this time round.

Ive got a late start today for 10:30 lol :drinks: And yes we stand a better chance finally lol :clap: looks like some showers are already heading this way :cray:

Posted

Ive got a late start today for 10:30 lol :unsure: And yes we stand a better chance finally lol :cray: looks like some showers are already heading this way :o

My school was saying years 10-13 had to go in today at 10:30 so I was disappointed, but then they said only come in if you have exam(s) next week and I don't so I don't have to go in :) They didn't want too many people gong in as half the staff can't make it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

The showers should start moving more Easterly later today. I think it'll be touch and go whether the showers will hit Durham before they start moving East. Middlesbrough and North Yorkshire seem definite hits.

Posted

Already just out of the bits of clouds snow is falling! lol :unsure: wwhen them showers expected to hit?

Posted

Glorious morning again after about a couple of cms of snow last night,8am temperature was -11c. Judging by the latest ECMF charts show we are now on borrowed time but you never know,enjoy it folks.

Posted

Already just out of the bits of clouds snow is falling! lol :nonono: wwhen them showers expected to hit?

Probably around lunchtime onwards for you, hard to say though as they are showers and don't like to do things by the book whistling.gif Further north there's likely to be some showers, but again they could arrive anytime this afternoon/evening and may be heavy or light. All to play for still.

Posted

Probably around lunchtime onwards for you, hard to say though as they are showers and don't like to do things by the book whistling.gif Further north there's likely to be some showers, but again they could arrive anytime this afternoon/evening and may be heavy or light. All to play for still.

I mean the ones just off the coast from me they look like hitting in 30mins-1hr? There is a glitch on 9:30 update look at 9 15 update :nonono:

Posted

I mean the ones just off the coast from me they look like hitting in 30mins-1hr? There is a glitch on 9:30 update look at 9 15 update :nonono:

They should hit between 11:00 and 12:00, no glitch on MetOffice radar :) They were the showers I was referring to when I said you could get snow around lunchtime, though they'll probably arrive just before.