Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

If the Conveyor shuts down or moves south. We are epiccly screwed.

Posted

Maybe we should put up with the slipping around and dump what salt we have left into the North Atlantic (along with the cat litter, table salt and any rock salt we can get out of, well...rock)

I believe the carbon footprint should be offset by a salt footprint. Maybe we can get the giant to take a massive salt footprint from The Causeway ...hop step and jump to Fingel's Cave and then dump it somewhere south of Greenland.

Posted

Just seen the main BBC weather and nothing different really,not much really being given away but basically it implies more South East+more snow later in weekend although further west snow as well but no mention of amounts,nothing further into next week, I believe they are not too sure due to the complexity of all of this,once again it's going to be a hit or miss affair with plenty of now casting and radar watching!

Posted

Maybe we should put up with the slipping around and dump what salt we have left into the North Atlantic (along with the cat litter, table salt and any rock salt we can get out of, well...rock)

I believe the carbon footprint should be offset by a salt footprint. Maybe we can get the giant to take a massive salt footprint from The Causeway ...hop step and jump to Fingel's Cave and then dump it somewhere south of Greenland.

All of the salt that we put on the roads ultimately ends up in the sea anyhow cool.gif

Posted

Snow - The country grinds to a halt and the trains have problems... Shops run out of milk

Too Hot - Roads start to "melt" (and the trains have problems)... Not enough water (hose-pipe bans etc.)

Rain - Everywhere floods due to poor (or poorly maintained) flood defence schemes (and the trains have problems)... Too much water (but still a hose-pipe ban the following Summer)

Too Cold - Major hoo-haa on the roads (and the trains have problems)... Water mains burst!

Britain should be placed in a weatherless vacuum with a constant temperature of +16.5°c :p

Posted

This was in the Model Output Thread just now from BFTP - he's been spot on this winter:

Ian Brown highlighted nicely the plan ahead. As I have said, attemtped breakdown from 12-20 but 14th onwards when fun begins. This will be 3rd major snow event for UK. It is going to be big snow for SW and S. Also note the 'sudden' increase of warning for heavy snow for SE this weekend. One has to ask why the meto have taken so long to to issue warning????? Some will post unniceties BUT I've been warning for some time for upcoming period and that there will be sudden upgrades in snowfall.

BFTP

"Sudden upgrades in snowfall" - interesting whistling.gif

Posted

Interestingly the roads and pavements around this area of Poole Bournemouth are far more treacherous although we only got an inch of snow. Apperently because the snow here began as heavy rain it washed away all the salt that was laid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Heat, Snow, Gales

Snow - The country grinds to a halt and the trains have problems... Shops run out of milk

Too Hot - Roads start to "melt" (and the trains have problems)... Not enough water (hose-pipe bans etc.)

Rain - Everywhere floods due to poor (or poorly maintained) flood defence schemes (and the trains have problems)... Too much water (but still a hose-pipe ban the following Summer)

Too Cold - Major hoo-haa on the roads (and the trains have problems)... Water mains burst!

Britain should be placed in a weatherless vacuum with a constant temperature of +16.5°c :p

id prefer a constant temp of around 25c, or maybe -20 haha

Posted

Absolutely right Paul T - I think it was the Stella talking - fancying back to a couple of geography field trips and the mythology surounding those places.

Bristle boy. Always interested in BFTP's theories - sometimes I wonder about the effect of a new moon etc - almost takes it into hippy-dippy land whilst retaining an idea of science. Breaking new ground? maybe....

Posted

Look what's just about to miss Trowbridge... wallbash.gif

That's the second time tonight!!! shok.gif

But thats not quite the current path they are taking is it? i think the top shower MAY hit you?

Edited by Paul T

Posted

But thats not quite the current path they are taking is it? i think the top shower MAY hit you?

Hmmm... Yes, it might do, looking at the last couple of frames...

That is if it doesn't fizzle out by then, of course!!! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

Just seen Mr McElwee doing a forecast after Newsnight and there was a definate increase in the size and intensity of the snow across the south of the country for Sunday. I missed the main weather after BBC 10 o'clock news.

I know he's a bit of a ramper but he surely has the same graphics and animation as other BBC forecasters from only 40 minutes earlier, but it was certainly different. Seems to be changing hourly!

Or maybe I'm snow blind :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

If the Conveyor shuts down or moves south. We are epiccly screwed.

We sure are Shutdown

Posted

bbc 5 day do-da is only giving me light snow on sun cloud mon and tue and rain wed... :nonono:... Also (dont tell matt) i took a peek at the local itv weather and it hardly said anything for us over the weekend more like light snow flurries.. So the the folks in the bbc and itv no nothing or there is a huge ammount of ramping going on in here. will have to wait and see, i personaly dont think the north side of devon cornwall and somerset are going to have alot, if anything.

kaz x

Posted

Well I think its evident that we will get another ice age. Perhaps its sooner than we think lol.

We are technically still in one as we have ice at both the poles

lol xx

Posted

Look what's just about to miss Trowbridge... wallbash.gif

That's the second time tonight!!! shok.gif

Awww lovey, I feel your pain. That lot went right round over the top of me and didn't drop a thing! Gawd, my weather forecasts are looking poor now without Ian's to plagarise. :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Mmm, im suspecting my thermometer. It continues to rise to -1.3C at present, almost as high as the maximum we had during the day. That can't be right surely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Heat, Snow, Gales

Mmm, im suspecting my thermometer. It continues to rise to -1.3C at present, almost as high as the maximum we had during the day. That can't be right surely.

No, id say its right, my temp here has been rising since about 9 o clock tonight! odd isnt it, i put it down to cloud cover,

Posted

Awww lovey, I feel your pain. That lot went right round over the top of me and didn't drop a thing!

Well, the "top" shower that could have hit here, looks like it's totally fizzled out!!! Typical!

Gawd, my weather forecasts are looking poor now without Ian's to plagarise. :D

:D (PS - Where is Mr. Fergusson tonight??? :whistling:)