Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Latest news24 weather shows attempted breakdown Tuesday from the south west. Looks like far south west will get rain; rest of us who knows? S.Ireland heavy snow.

One to watch for changes over next few days.

As most on here seem to be talking about the booze tonite - 4 pints of Thatcher's Gold in local after work; now supping a Guinness stout - nice!drinks.gif

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted

Right you lot, stop getting excited about a light snow flurry and look at the gfs update coming out now...laugh.gif

Precipation upgrade for Saturday night - we are getting into the timeframe when the gfs can start to look at convection a little more (but still programmes it to light - i.e tonights snow flurries drifting very far inland, due to them being very strong/heavy when they initally came inland, these were only down as initally light on gfs)

light to moderate @ 3am sunday

Hanging around - midday sunday

remains light until close of play

Throughout the day however, there will be convective heavier showers coming in primarily on coastal areas.

somethings brewing for monday over Devon and Dorset - that could be an interesting little cell to watch i feel.

Posted

Right you lot, stop getting excited about a light snow flurry and look at the gfs update coming out now...laugh.gif

Precipation upgrade for Saturday night - we are getting into the timeframe when the gfs can start to look at convection a little more (but still programmes it to light - i.e tonights snow flurries drifting very far inland, due to them being very strong/heavy when they initally came inland, these were only down as initally light on gfs)

Throughout the day however, there will be convective heavier showers coming in primarily on coastal areas.

somethings brewing for monday over Devon and Dorset - that could be an interesting little cell to watch i feel.

its still looking promising for us then!

Posted

Sorry Paul, I've never been that impressed with those precipitation charts. I await an update from Ian; he seems to have it nailed for 48 hours or less out.

Posted

Wish i could be abused by Uncle Jack Daniels.

That's just wrong on soooooo many levels...

Funny though!... :D

Posted

Latest news24 weather shows attempted breakdown Tuesday from the south west. Looks like far south west will get rain; rest of us who knows? S.Ireland heavy snow.

As most on here seem to be talking about the booze tonite - 4 pints of Thatcher's Gold in local after work; now supping a Guinness stout - nice!drinks.gif

Yeah, Midland, and further north may get some wet snow.

Tuesday to Friday will return to more normal temps for south west in my opinion, there are 2 powerful little lows ready to pounce. Waiting for the gfs 18z to confirm, but i think that after friday we may see a return to cold again. (this set up is similar to the situation that we were in just after christmas (cant remember exactly what date!)

Posted

Tuesday now is the break down is it? Ive heard so many variations today on this break down...

the main players on this forum TEITS and S.Murr have made no comment on the current output, i reckon they are fed up with the constant ups and downs on this forum.

Posted

News are now saying this country is at breaking point and if these conditions last we have a crisis. Well my response to that is why did we not do more to prepare for this instead of spending and giving away millions to combat global warming. I think those who believe still in global warming are losing the argument.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

my hubby is wondering what the forecast is 4 tomoz as hes out and about in his van.....cheers..we are lower cornwall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

managed to find ourselfs a shop that hasnt sold out of sledges today so hopefully will be up on the moors this weekend, nice to hear nothing has thawed!!!!

Bring a 4*4 then! The roads are pretty tricky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Stopped snowing already. That was quick lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Yeah, Midland, and further north may get some wet snow.

Tuesday to Friday will return to more normal temps for south west in my opinion, there are 2 powerful little lows ready to pounce. Waiting for the gfs 18z to confirm, but i think that after friday we may see a return to cold again. (this set up is similar to the situation that we were in just after christmas (cant remember exactly what date!)

Although theres talks of lows trying to push in.

There are a few things thats still being talked about.

- How far can it push in? ( The east is still strong and theres a good chance it will hold them back )

- Ground temps are still gonna be very low. and warm air rises, So its gonna be hard to push the cold away so quickly.

Like you said, Closer to the time charts will clear things up.

It could be a lot of rain on frozen surfaces or a lot of snow on frozen surfaces.

Considering theres gonna be a fair bit of cloud about, Direct solar heating will also be a min, So any thaw will have to rely on ground temps being quite warm.

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

Caz tomorrow should be fine. Cloudy, cold but dry.

Sunday = fairly light but persistent snow.

Hey WiB,

Whats your take on the upcoming week?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

News are now saying this country is at breaking point and if these conditions last we have a crisis. Well my response to that is why did we not do more to prepare for this instead of spending and giving away millions to combat global warming. I think those who believe still in global warming are losing the argument.

Global warming = colder uk anyway.

Posted

Tuesday now is the break down is it? Ive heard so many variations today on this break down...

the main players on this forum TEITS and S.Murr have made no comment on the current output, i reckon they are fed up with the constant ups and downs on this forum.

The thing to remember though Aspire is that Mr Murr lives in Kent and TEITS in Peterborough - these areas may escape any breakdown next week - the far south west prob won't and for those of us in the 'north' of the South West we're probably on the 'edge' of any breakdown. Better for heavy snow prospects if there's an 'attack' from a LP system coming up the S.W. approaches. And as it hits the HP block deflects off south into N.France - nice classic attempted breakdown scenario!good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

Caz tomorrow should be fine. Cloudy, cold but dry.

Sunday = fairly light but persistent snow.

Thanks...

Posted

time to borrow the old l200 at work then lol, where on dartmoor are you?

Out towards Widecombe, they gritted up to a certain point and then stopped... so not sure how passable the road further onto the moor is. Could try heading up to Postbridge, the road from Exeter to Moreton is probably clear and then pot luck once you get up higher. I know Princetown is pretty much cut off.

Posted

Sorry Paul, I've never been that impressed with those precipitation charts. I await an update from Ian; he seems to have it nailed for 48 hours or less out.

Yes, Ian's charts were fantastic for Tues and Weds.

The gfs charts, as i sort-of pointed out, are only a guide - but they were very actually accurate on wednesaday, from 48hours out.

Posted

Well here in Gloucester a couple more cm's from the 'Humber streamer' ... (a rare thing here..) and now its heads up for the 'Wash streamers' ! :)

And then its all about what comes our way Sun/Mon. Hope you're all as lucky !

John in Quedgeley, Gloucester

Posted

I'm not sure about this breakdown coming too fast. This cold is pretty entrenched now and will surely put up some sort of battle? We could see some epic snowfall down here!

Posted

Out towards Widecombe, they gritted up to a certain point and then stopped... so not sure how passable the road further onto the moor is. Could try heading up to Postbridge, the road from Exeter to Moreton is probably clear and then pot luck once you get up higher. I know Princetown is pretty much cut off.

ah cool, sounds like i might need a bit of luck then....... still time to mull over the decision with a cider in my hand lol

Posted

Global Warming=Breakdown of the Thermohaline Conveyor?=Ice Age Britain

As Tamara said (this is becoming a famous quote) "Beware what you wish for!"