London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest archiesmummy

06z NAE indicating Essex has an increased risk at tonight's event, I would expect the MetO to extend early warning into Essex and perhaps Gtr London/Surrey as well.

is that the essex coast or bit further in where i am?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

I think it was about another inch. Was really hammering down here about 4am apparently.

Its seems about an inch.. all the foot prints have gone and any snow that had thawed from the roofs has been replaced.. yahoo.gif

Where I am they do not grit so we cannot tell what is the pavement and what is the road!!!!crazy.gif

Hopefully more to come!

Posted

Anyone brave soul fancy doing me a London postal area forecast:

Central London (EC/WC)

West London (W)

North London (N)

North West London (NW)

East London (E)

South West London (SW)

South East London (SE)

A question for Mr Murr/ Teits and Nick Sussex me thinks. :shok:

Posted

Bah humbug. Snow to the west of me (central London), snow to the east of me. Snow all around except on me.

I think I need to stop reading this thread, doing my head in.

I understand where your coming from Filski its a waiting game you have to play out, I've looked at the MetO running invent radar and its possible we will get some today and possibly tomorrow albeit slight , I hated saying that LOL - I want inches of the stuff lol

Posted

A question for Mr Murr/ Teits and Nick Sussex me thinks. :shok:

Hope to hear from them. As it goes, looking at the radar, looks like London will keep picking up showers this morning on that brisk Noreaster. Just had a decent, if short-lived, flurry here in W5 and rogue showers keep tracking through the capital. Doubt they will accumulate though so am interested in this overnight system from the east....

Edited by Downpour

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Don't you just love it when snow falls out of clear skies.

Posted

Its seems about an inch.. all the foot prints have gone and any snow that had thawed from the roofs has been replaced.. yahoo.gif

Where I am they do not grit so we cannot tell what is the pavement and what is the road!!!!crazy.gif

Hopefully more to come!

Definately more to come, you can be sure of this, we keep on getting a top of snow here in Whitstable every few hours. We have had a lot of dumpings the past 48 hours, in fact last night was incredible blizzards off the sea and fantastic snow fall!

Well the wind is gaining in strength here are Whitstable, snow in te air, dark skies out to sea to the east. Last night was an amazing view of teh beach the tide had gone out about 3/4 of a mile and all the sea bed was white... it looked amazing.

I am really enjoying this cold spell just wish I did not have 2 broken ribs, but then again to be honest it does mean I keep on getting up through the night because I cant sleep as the pain is so bad and I get to keep a constant weather watch... :whistling:

Posted

More snow on and off now, but more on than off though :whistling: It's like the calm before the storm so to speak :cold::help:

Posted

snowed a bit overnight here. just looked out and its snowing again from clear skies! But there appears to be dark clouds looming.

Posted

I understand where your coming from Filski its a waiting game you have to play out, I've looked at the MetO running invent radar and its possible we will get some today and possibly tomorrow albeit slight , I hated saying that LOL - I want inches of the stuff lol

Ditto!

Posted

Definately more to come, you can be sure of this, we keep on getting a top of snow here in Whitstable every few hours. We have had a lot of dumpings the past 48 hours, in fact last night was incredible blizzards off the sea and fantastic snow fall!

Well the wind is gaining in strength here are Whitstable, snow in te air, dark skies out to sea to the east. Last night was an amazing view of teh beach the tide had gone out about 3/4 of a mile and all the sea bed was white... it looked amazing.

I am really enjoying this cold spell just wish I did not have 2 broken ribs, but then again to be honest it does mean I keep on getting up through the night because I cant sleep as the pain is so bad and I get to keep a constant weather watch... whistling.gif

Nice pic there that'll brighten up my day if no snow !! LOL

Posted
Posted

Anyone brave soul fancy doing me a London postal area forecast:

Central London (EC/WC)

West London (W)

North London (N)

North West London (NW)

East London (E)

South West London (SW)

South East London (SE)

Um, I'm afraid it really isn't going to be exciting, it's the same old problem I'm afraid, the steering winds at the West end of the Estuary are and have been NNE-NE for most of this terrible cold spell. This means that as soon as anything decent comes up the Thames it will be steered away to the South East of London and will not push through and give us a dollop. The steering winds do not have a direct Easterly component in them until late Sunday into Monday when all the action is dead.

Best chances to catch the heavier bursts of precip are for these areas:

East London (E)

South West London (SW)

South East London (SE)

Looks very bleak if you live in:

Central London (EC/WC)

West London (W)

North London (N)

North West London (NW)

We need to hope for a last minute change in steering winds, that's the only way most of London can get anything reasonable from this, as it is, most of London will be lucky to get a cm or 2 from this.

Utter disaster :whistling:

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Hopefully more to come!

It's great when that happens. I am up by Hollingbury golf course and there must still be the best part of 6-7 inches after some sublimation yesterday. Temperature is still - 2.9ºC.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

hi all. well we r well and truly snowed in all the roads out of deal are blocked due to snow. lets hope for more lol

Guest Quantumsnow

snowed a bit overnight here. just looked out and its snowing again from clear skies! But there appears to be dark clouds looming.

I had snow from clear skies this morning too, albeit the tiniest flakes I have ever seen!

There are some awesome icicles around at the moment, growing ever longer by the day.

Posted

Morning folks,

Not read back thru posts but did anyone get Thunder Snow late last night, saw a big flash up around the coast..? going to be an interesting day and night..! :whistling:

regards,

Steve

Posted

Um, I'm afraid it really isn't going to be exciting, it's the same old problem I'm afraid, the steering winds at the West end of the Estuary are and have been NNE-NE for most of this terrible cold spell. This means that as soon as anything decent comes up the Thames it will be steered away to the South East of London and will not push through and give us a dollop. The steering winds do not have a direct Easterly component in them until late Sunday into Monday when all the action is dead.

East London (E)

South West London (SW)

South East London (SE)

Central London (EC/WC)

West London (W)

North London (N)

North West London (NW)

We need to hope for a last minute change in steering winds, that's the only way most of London can get anything reasonable from this, as it is, most of London will be lucky to get a cm or 2 from this.

Utter disaster wallbash.gif

To be fair, it was always going to be widespread LIGHT snow, this was never forecast to be a significant event for London. To call this cold spell 'terrible' is, frankly, rediculous. It's given some of the heaviest snow in years, and even if London has missed out (narrowly) on the worst of it, I think it's fantastic to see what winter can still produce.

Posted

East London (E)

South West London (SW)

South East London (SE)

Central London (EC/WC)

West London (W)

North London (N)

North West London (NW)

Utter disaster wallbash.gif

http://news.bbc.co.u.../forecast/10209 look at the video and stop complaining.

Also i still have 5 inches from the 6 inches i got from wednesday.

Edited by BarnetBlizzard

Posted

If it's any consolation to those in other areas that have done poorly, we never do well out of these situations in N Essex either - all the showers die out over the long haul through Suffolk. If we were a just a few miles south we might have had something of interest later. Frustrating isn't the word!

Edited by Mullet

Posted

Think we must have had quite a bit of snow over night - a fresh layer on the ground covering all of yesterdays foot prints, and all the tracks in the garden following mine and Mini Raven's attempt of a snowman no longer visable.

Also woke up to light snow falling out of an almost clear blue sky laugh.gif

Starting to cloud over here now though.... I'm off to check the NW radar!