Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Moderate snow now

Posted

Deal is cut off due to snow drifts of over 5 feet in places according to the police

I knew the roads were bad, but 5 ft snow drifts... really? That's crazy :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

snowing on and off here with blue skies overhead ...very bizarre.

Guest archiesmummy

morning everyone

i understood yesterday some snow was coming from europe around mid-day but i can see on the radar some may hit me this morning, if it does would that just be the start of what could be an interesting day? i know costal essex has been mentioned but what about this part of essex? looks like wind is wrong direction????

glad some of you are getting good snow, its so exciting!!!!

or is that ....snow exciting.....gosh i'm sorry!!!

Edited by archiesmummy

Posted

looking at the radar, somebodys switched off the convection in the Thames Estuary. Really quite noticeable in the past 30 minutes.

First signs of light snow showing across Northern France though. :D

see it coming here.......

http://www.buienradar.nl/h.aspx?jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur1x1

Edited by Shunter

Posted

snowing on and off here with blue skies overhead ...very bizarre.

Morning Shunter

I am not far from you - Yeah, think our turn soon for some serious snow action! What do you think? radar looking very good!

:D

Posted

Deal is cut off due to snow drifts of over 5 feet in places according to the police

there is a snow plough and a gritter now stuck, a local farmer is pulling people out with a tractor one at a time

Posted

Snowing on and off all night in Eastbourne with the wind starting to pick up significantly. Probably around 10cm fallen overnight (not been out in it yet) and there is no traffic running on the main road to Stone Cross.

Wasn't expecting as much as this TBH and with the main showers coming tonight, this looks like its going to be a major snow event - we may top the 40cm mark! If we in coastal Sussex can get this much, there's hope for you guys inland.

I'm now just waiting for the moaning and complaining to start, as services start to suffer and the supermarkets aren't replenished :D

Posted

Morning All

Light snow falling already in the City of London this morning, does not bode well for getting people to the France Show at Earls Court today, attendance yesterday was very poor, so it could be a very boring day.

But the snow is great, just wish I could be out there in it, apologies if you don't like snow

I guess the snow will only pep up during the course of the day...yahoo.gif

Cheers

FC

Posted

Morning Shunter

I am not far from you - Yeah, think our turn soon for some serious snow action! What do you think? radar looking very good!

:D

Hope so...we have about 10-12cms here from many falls. Walked around Shorne and cobham woods yesterday, absolutely beautiful. About 15cms on top of the hill ,probably more after last night. Tonight/tomorrow should be our main course !

Posted

Snow showers on and off which was pretty much forecasted, all eyes on the main event later this afternoon onwards :D

Posted

Had a shower in the night which gave an additional dusting on cars etc... I think we are too far west for most but lets see what this afternoon brings!

Posted

i bet it will all miss me by 6 miles......

Just missed a heavy snow shower by about 2 or 3 miles, but others are on the way according to the radar!

Posted

there is a snow plough and a gritter now stuck, a local farmer is pulling people out with a tractor one at a time

That Sandwich - Deal road is nightmare in the snow, what you have said doesn't surprise me at all

Posted

Frequent snow showers in Maidstone with strong gusts blowing it around even in my fairly sheltered garden. My daughter should be travelling to Plymouth today by train, i just hope i can get her up to London!

Posted

Not much snow settling from the showers in Ramsgate last night ... although the showers were very much hit and miss with most either to the East or West moving in a South Westerly direction ...

The temp here is +1.6c and the snow we had a couple of days ago is very very slowly dissapearing ... heres to a top up later drinks.gif

Posted

Morning All :whistling: more snow over night nice.

current temp at -3.9c

Edited by Snowblower

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Morning All:yahoo:more snow over night nice.

current temp at -3.9c

How much snow have you got up there SB and are the roads clear? I gotta visit my Nan in Longfield....

Posted

clear skies here in shooter's hill (London).

Looks to me like the precip associated with the overrunning warm front from europe is fizzling out.

what do you guys think?

Posted

Another 7cms or so overnight at my parents in Newnham on the N. Downs. Around 8" total now. Drove father to Gatwick. Roads a nightmare up to the M26 then clear. Heavy snow and lots of drifting across the M2 on the way home and Detling Hill was closed probably due to severe drifting.

Anyway I made it there and back in one piece!!!

James

Edit Another heavy snow shower hits with blowing snow (and that's in a valley bottom!)

Edited by Barometric

Posted

Not much snow settling from the showers in Ramsgate last night ... although the showers were very much hit and miss with most either to the East or West moving in a South Westerly direction ...

The temp here is +1.6c and the snow we had a couple of days ago is very very slowly dissapearing ... heres to a top up later drinks.gif

I hope things have changed (have not checked ) but late last night bbc were saying that the main thrust of snow would be through the medway corridor and we would end up with RAIN !!here in thanet :whistling:

Posted

Another 4cm of Fresh Snow Overnight and still snowing as I type this.

Getting to be quite a good Cold Spell now

Still nothing on 1991 and 1987 yet but we shall see by Sunday afternoon wether it can actually get up there eh ?

Just a few facts for it to get anywhere near

1987 Highest Daytime Max in Leigh was -10, Lowest Nighttime Temp was -19c :whistling: and Snow Level was 34cm Level Snow with 10ft Drifts - Sea froze over in Leigh and Southend.

1991 Highest Daytime Max of -5c, Lowest Nighttime Temp was -12c and Snow level was 28cm with 10ft Drifts - No Freezing over of the Sea

Puts it into Context I think at the moment

Paul S

Guest archiesmummy

Hi just wanted to ask a question some of you will think i am really stupid...

If the pressure on my weather station is high can it still snow? usually as it falls it states rain, or precepitation...is that diff summer to winter?

guess thats answered it, is snowing here now!!!!!!

Edited by archiesmummy