Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 18:

Posted

This is the pressure chart if you go back into the same sight that gave you this chart there should be a link at the top for 850hp temps click on this and hey presto.

SS2

Thats exactley what I thought, but someone on the Model thread had this up saying how cold and snowey it was. I have seen this in other posts and I think people get mixed up with the colours on diffenrt charts........if those colours were on an uppers chart, WOW that be cold!!!!

Thanks

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Recent wind-speeds all strong and steady from Newcastle to Embra to Fife-coast at 35 to 40km/h

Little chance of any air standing still long enough in coastal districts for even the possibility of a frost. Maybe 30-40 miles west of here with reduced wind-speeds and a few cloud breaks but even the central-westies will be doing well to record a frost tonight (although I'm sure any that any thaw there will slow down a bit overnight). Bound to be more snow-loss overnight here in Leith but thats to be expected given the location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The new Met Office Invent chart of temps shows how the warmer air is affecting the East Coast and Central Belt but has not made any impact to speak of in the Central or Northern Highlands.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

Thats exactley what I thought, but someone on the Model thread had this up saying how cold and snowey it was. I have seen this in other posts and I think people get mixed up with the colours on diffenrt charts........if those colours were on an uppers chart, WOW that be cold!!!!

Thanks

That chart you posted is proper uppers (at 500hpa level), the 850s are lower uppers :D

I also think that the chart you posted does show snow potential, the darker the blue colour on it the more likely it is to be snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

This may be a really silly question, and I have tried to find the answer with no joy, but how do read temps on this..........

UW60-21.GIF?10-17

I believe there is an equation for finding the 500-1000 thicknesses on this - basically, high pressure with darker colours means colder uppers, while lows with lighter colours mean warmer uppers. I think if you take 1000-surface pressure and add the value of the colour over that location, you get the thickness, which is ideally below 528 for snow (though in this situation snow is likely to fall with thicknesses higher than this.) The cloud doesn't appear to be featuring on the radar this evening, though it does look a bit like it's sleeting over in Cupar (Hiya could perhaps confirm/deny this!). Temperatures are now at 3.6C, with a brisk wind which is becoming more southerly all the time, though the dewpoint is -0.4C, so I wouldn't bet against precipitation falling as snow, but I do hope that the cloud clears and allows us a decent shot of getting below 2C.

Posted

Thanks all...........very interseting and very complicated!!!!!!!! I need to study this..........I want to learn more about this.

Thanks all...........very interseting and very complicated!!!!!!!! I need to study this..........I want to learn more about this.

Once you learn can you teach me?? :D

I guess as I go along, have done for almost 5 years, and still have got nowhere.

Talk in the model thread of similarities to Feb 96. I may have to go and lie down for a while :D:D

Posted

Once you learn can you teach me?? laugh.gif

I guess as I go along, have done for almost 5 years, and still have got nowhere.

Talk in the model thread of similarities to Feb 96. I may have to go and lie down for a while wacko.gifwacko.gif

Its great in there. They are so good at "big-ing up" the model that gives cold weather. Keeps going round in a big circle.rofl.gif

Its great in there. They are so good at "big-ing up" the model that gives cold weather. Keeps going round in a big circle.rofl.gif

The NAE model is not showing much if any precip for Scotland tomorrow. I wonder what will happen...

Posted

Well no sign of the frost jumping, back down to -10c and starry skies. Snow is very squeaky to walk on and I have fallen 3 times today on unseen ice much to the amusement of my son. It really will take a lot of shifting. Mrs Northernlights tried to take a walk in the woods this afternoon but gave up after 50 metres as the frozen snow kept on giving way and she was up to her knees in snow, my comment about weight did no go down to well.

Posted

Just been outside and the thaw we had today has frozen over making the pavements and untreated roads trecherous...a night to be careful on your feet and in your car..

Posted

Currently -3.5C here after a "high" of just -1.7C, the lowest maximum of the cold spell so far. Got down to -8C this morning too which I wasn't expecting. Hard to believe that Dyce airport was reporting temperatures above 4C earlier because it's been a different world here.

Posted

I said earlier int he thread we got -12.5'C last night which was our coldest temperature of the cold spell, but already we are down to -9.3'C so I guess we could well beat that temperature tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Dan corbett going for cold for the week with the atlantic being pushed backed up to next weekend... interesting

Posted

How come when I post on the Model thread, it dissapears???

Is someone removing posts on there??

Was nothing offensive ect, so not sure why cc_confused.gifcc_confused.gifcc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Was nothing offensive ect, so not sure why cc_confused.gifcc_confused.gifcc_confused.gif

You were probably talking sense SP - that is not allowed!:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

altnaharra at -20. might it beat the temperature recorded a few days ago..??

Looks plausible. Sadly us lowlanders are stuck with 4C and partly cloudy due to coastal modification - yuck.

Posted

altnaharra at -20. might it beat the temperature recorded a few days ago..??

Its a bit of a race against time as the deep cold being pushed further north. Its surprised me that its hit -20c but Altnaharra is always pretty unique with its temperature variations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Looks plausible. Sadly us lowlanders are stuck with 4C and partly cloudy due to coastal modification - yuck.

You might find this local site useful LS.

http://www.floodaction.org.uk/weather/freuchie-mill/

Posted

The model thread, to some, is the be-all and end-all of NW. I think the owners pride themselves on keeping that particular thread "clean". I have lost count of the number of posts I've had removed/deleted. To be fair, the mods usually do inform you and sometimes (on hindsight) the original post which I thought was adding to the discussion, appeared crap later on.