Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 18:

Posted

I just spied those thumbnails on the model thread.........dispare is kicking in down south as the expected snow is sleet on the coast. You dont say!!!

People asking how the east wind is not extreamly cold..............because the source is no longer deep cold, but couldn't be bothered writing this to explainrofl.gifrofl.gif

The ECM is still trying to prolong the cold though...It's going to come down to which set you believe in lol

ECm would appear to have been the most accurate, but who knows....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Perth Temp. -0.2C, DP -2.9C and winds Force 3-4 NNW. No overnight precipitation. Potential for tomorrow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well some melt is well underway. Car has very little left on it - compared to last night! temps have risen about 5 degrees since last night. Now at about +1.

Winds is noticeably stronger and snow on top of fence posts is wind shaped already. All my lovely icicles have gone (for now).

Heres hoping the met/beeb have the right info on tonights snow being a possibility although i'm unsure at this point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I just spied those thumbnails on the model thread.........dispare is kicking in down south as the expected snow is sleet on the coast. You dont say!!!

People asking how the east wind is not extreamly cold..............because the source is no longer deep cold, but couldn't be bothered writing this to explainrofl.gifrofl.gif

That used to be my problem, before all these model-data were available.

Severe freezing fog here this morning, -12'C and everything is completely covered in a thick hoar frost: telephone wires, walls, plants, trees, bushes, roofs, cars and washing lines! Away back down to Glasgow this afternoon so will get a nice drive through the Cairngorms! Brilliant cold spell winter!

Aye,Rab...It's the same here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Brilliant morning Pete, isn't it?! Temperature is actually dropping, thicker freezing fog has made its way in, just under -13'C now.

I had posted a post which ridiculed that poster but then I realised I was being nasty. It's not his fault he can't write in English or post model images for the UK rather than France.

Looking like an interesting day in the Forth-Clyde area, showers already moving through. We have had the lightest of light snow here in the last ten minutes. Wind picking up so there should be more and more showers as the day goes on :unknw:

Posted

Nice clear start to the day and -12c. Can see the freezing fog down at the Firth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

My problem is thermal inertia. After yesterday's 12hrs @1C, my room was too hot last night; now, after 12hrs @ sub -10, it's bloody freezing!! :) :)

Posted

Morning all,

Very different start to the day here in coastal Fife, with a major thaw underway. Currently +5.1c in Crail (+4c Leuchars) and overnight our lying snow has gone from 6cm to 2cm. If this continues we will be snow free by the end of today. The strong easterly wind seems to be 'eating' then snow although dewpoints remain below freezing.

Good to hear the cold is continuing away from SE coastal areas, and I won't be complaining - we have had lying snow here for far longer than I ever thought likely!

Edited by Hawesy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Morning. Temperatures here are 1.8C, so the trees are beginning to lose their cover, though I doubt we'll see much melting on the ground. This is definitely the time you want it to be dry with haar and no possiblility of showers. Mind you, the dew points are easily low enough for snow, so perhaps a shower or two wouldn't go amiss, and perhaps would also bring temperatures down a bit.Anyway, the more southerly the wind gets, the better, over the next few days. Easterlies will return, and with colder uppers again, but now we have to focus on getting the colder surface air in.

LS

Posted

A very cold night with us last night, we dipped down to -12.6'C and considering I am more or less right ont he coast that's pretty cold !

At present, the temperature is -6.8'C and has been rising slowly for the past few hours, we don't have the fog that others seem to have though, we have the clearest of blue skies, but as usual at this time of year the sun doesn't rise very high and is blinding me as it shines in the window.

Attached are a couple of pictures I took yesterday when I went a walk to the top of Cnoc Fyrish. The snow up there was about 3 feet deep but frozen solid. Very hard walking in it as you pretty much walked on concrete then all of a sudden hit a sfter area and your leg sinks to about your hip. There was also some very deep drifts in areas, must have been maybe 10 - 12 feet deep in places.

post-491-12631189259242_thumb.jpg

post-491-12631189358642_thumb.jpg

Posted

Edinburger Airport up at 4C, I hope by-tor still has some snow :)

Big thaw going on here, dont mind actually as i might be able to go for a run again tomorrow!

Just been to Asda tho with the kids and its that horrible wet, muddy slush

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning people.

Temp:3.c DP:-2.7 and wind ENE. Looks as if all didn't go according to plan for some down south last night? The south west looks to be doing ok tho' I am a bit more hopeful for something overnight for the central belt but as ever, we shall see. :(

Posted

First time I've seen the temps in Stirling go above 0 in a while - currently 1c and a slight thaw....

As Mondy says, prime conditions for the white stuff...but where is it ? lol

Sunny, at our IiI' oI' airport tmps +2, Dwpoint -4, so sIight thaw I think. No snow on roofs, or hardIy any.

We have had so many thaw/freeze cycles that there is little or no snow on the rooves or trees here either. Snow pack on the ground is going nowhere though. It will be weeks before that goes. I also suspect the west could see some considerable snow in the next few days or week.

Posted

Snow by tomorrow across Southern Scotland. GFS, NMM and BBC in agreement, although amounts will be small.

Not great news here, will be rain now till we get injection of cold air............looks like it may stay further south..........if we have any snow left

cray.gifcray.gifcray.gifcray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Still plenty hanging on here Catch ... cold ground is seing to that. Trees, roofs, cars took the initial hit. Everything just going from pristine perfect snow to a softer, slushier and mushier form. Grassy areas pretty much intact at this point. Obviously the longer this goes on though , the bigger and more extensive the hit.

Having our "longest" warm period here at 4c over the past few hours ... another degree rise to get to our warmest temperature in 25 days. The wind is the enemy, as much as anything else ... just picking up the marginal surface melt and carrying it away .. hence we're not dripping away as much as evaporating away here.

Yup, typical daft media article ! Time for comparison will be March !

Edinburger Airport up at 4C, I hope by-tor still has some snow :(

What a silly article, comparing a whole winter with a winter only up to the 10th of January:

http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/8446942.stm

Still plenty hanging on here Catch ... cold ground is seing to that. Trees, roofs, cars took the initial hit. Everything just going from pristine perfect snow to a softer, slushier and mushier form. Grassy areas pretty much intact at this point. Obviously the longer this goes on though , the bigger and more extensive the hit.

Having our "longest" warm period here at 4c over the past few hours ... another degree rise to get to our warmest temperature in 25 days. The wind is the enemy, as much as anything else ... just picking up the marginal surface melt and carrying it away .. hence we're not dripping away as much as evaporating away here.

Yup, typical daft media article ! Time for comparison will be March !

The more I look at the models the more I start to think we could see some snow this week. I should get time once ToddlerCatch does for his morning sleep to stick some charts and thoughts up for the next 96 hours. Not that these will shed any light on snow prospects, but it will look nice :( :(

Posted

Interesting, the snow here is about 4" give or take. I just tried to put my hand down to touch the grass, and the ice under it from ealy freeze melt senarios is still brick hard. It will take a long long time to shift that, unless we have 10'C + and huge rainfall. I bet my snow on the grass is still there next weekend, albeit a mess!!

Think how long you guys with a foot will have cover, probaly through the next 2 cold spells of the winter.

Edited by Snowplough33