Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 18:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Afternoon all.

Had quite a few heavy showers come in this morning. A few cm more.

Definitely a bit warmer; a tropical -2.1 C right now.

In the middle of transferring all my soft to a new PC. Nightmare. Looks cool though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Positively alpine now - temperature drop of 2C in 30 minutes with bright sunshine and a few showers in the vicinity with almost a foot on the ground - perfect!

Posted

"Elsewhere, as many as 60 people took part in a curling game under floodlights on the Lake of Menteith on Friday night, and two ice hockey teams are expected to play on the frozen lake over the weekend."

From here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8449133.stm

The snow showers seem to be bubbling up out of nowhere just off the coast and drifting inland - nice!

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

Drift ice on the tidal River Forth at Kincardine, Fife.

Crossed the old Kincardine Bridge and down a dirt (snow) tracked road which I never knew existed. Ended up face to face with the eerily looking mudflats with ice drift in the background. Ice was flowing downstream into Firth of Forth - if it made it.

PICT0038.jpg

PICT0037.jpg

PICT0036.jpg

PICT0043.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Thin mist and no wind beneath the blue, 0.9/0.9. Quite spooky just now, very quiet*.

Excellent photos, Mondy. I guess you're not shaking with fury over the approval of the Beauly to Denny line? :)

* apart from the kids upstairs of course!

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

You can shove your Health & Safety you know where :hi: :wacko:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy7IdhZjlW4

Lake of Menteith 2010

Excellent photos, Mondy. I guess you're not shaking with fury over the approval of the Beauly to Denny line? :blink:

It's raping the countryside if you ask me - there's a thread on it in serious area :-)

Edited by Mondy

Posted

Heavy snow and not a breath of wind. Big fluffy flakes..........really cool. You dont often see it like this hereclap.gifclap.gif

Posted

Clearish (hazy) interlude here in Stirling, very "alpine" :blink:

There's a hefty bank of cloud moving this way as well - maybe another hour or so....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Still light snow falling , looks like a wee bit more on the radar again.

I have delved into the model thread and boy is it up in the air what'll happen eh!

Anybodys guess where we'll be except slightly warmer eventually at maybe +2 or +3. around coastal areas, winds look to be east/south east.

Will wait until later tmrw i think to look again too many factors i think confusing everyone and then theres the big snow event doon south to happen on sun/mon first

Edit: does anyone have any good links for following the predicted huge snowfall in Germany? thanks.

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Just a small bit of news In the Netherlands, which connects nicely with our cancelled Bonspiel -

In the Netherlands, thousands took to the iceon Saturday as skating federation KNSB gave the green light for impromptu skating events on three lakes in the centre and north-east of the country - wonder what they did with health and safety?

Edited by snowy owl

Finally!! Some pictures of outdoor lowland curling taking place today. I will post some more pictures when my Dad e-mails some better quality ones to me, rather than my wee snaps:

Then later on today, on the way back from Sainsbury's, I stopped to take photos of this frozen river:

The river is the Locher just off the main road between Bridge of Weir and Brookfield. There was still some water running behind the ice, but even still, it is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen with my own eyes. The closest fall is quite big, about 30ft, while the rear one is 20ft. What an eerie sight.

Posted

I've not seen that before, I usually just use the normal site. Thats smart!

Edited by Snowplough33

Posted

Smashing day here with great cloudscapes and flurries on and off all day. Temperatures generally just above freezing with -1c dewpoint.

Caught a heavy shower at 3pm which dropped half an inch in 20 minutes. Total accumulation today an inch.

Posted

The big band of cloud in the middle of the NS; seems to be starting to bring some heavier showers into NE England.

Looks like its heading our way, i.e. into the central belt?

Posted

The big band of cloud in the middle of the NS; seems to be starting to bring some heavier showers into NE England.

Looks like its heading our way, i.e. into the central belt?

Nothing on the radar yet anyway cc_confused.gif

Posted

Nothing on the radar yet anyway cc_confused.gif

Seems to be generating something where it has come ashore near the border?

Posted

Photos of the River Dee post-700-12630561748742_thumb.jpg, road to Kennerty Golf Club post-700-12630561688242_thumb.jpg and the graveyard beside the heritage centre in Peterculter.post-700-12630561964042_thumb.jpg

Posted

The front coming up through Engerlund tomorrow night looks interesting - will it deposit a pile of snow on it's front edge or will the cold air here keep it at bay - the last image on the meto rainfall for Sunday brings it a lot closer to us than I thought...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Intermittent light snow here continuing on the light SE breeze. Temp now -1.5C from a max of -0.2C so a seventh ice day on the cards. Good for being relatively near the coast with forecasts from some organisations showing +4C and sunny.

Hopefully we will not get too much warming off the North Sea in the next couple of days. I would like to keep the snowcover for some time yet.

Edit: Some impressive ice floes on the Tay this afternoon.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

That meto weathermap is the mutts nuts....

You can zoom in biggrin.gif

Its the buisness.......good call Mondy!!