Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

So what's happening with the ppn from the continent.....is it that weak looking ppn over the SE atm.....?

Most of it isn't reaching the ground lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

[quote name='wee' date='09 January 2010 - 21:31 ' timestamp='1263072715' post='1731056'

Still snowing in Brighton,small flakes but very ast ,dont give up guys ,you never know what will happen overnightrolleyes.gif

[hi wee. Hav u had much then? I left 2day due bk 2moro thinking it wldnt show as the past few nights nothng materialisd. I hope i can get back from chichester 2morro! ]

Posted

Can I just take a moment to calm things down a notch CG

The meaning of Forecast [noun] a prediction about how something (as the weather) will develop.

No matter if your an amateur or professional you can only forcast what you think may happen based on all available data.

Given that the guys on this site will have as much data available to them (within a bit) than the professionals they have every right to give us the benefit of their considerable experience and let us know their thoughts on how they see things panning out.

The "professionals" are also giving thier opinions....we will see tomorrow who's interpretation was nearest the mark....surley thats half the fun sometimes!good.gif

Well put!

Posted

appropos nothing in particular, having quickly trawled the Deutsche Wetterdienst, some german weather forums etc. etc

there is a large area of light to moderate snow moving across the plains of northern germany and northern holland towards the North Sea. Precipitation rates are rising all the time. Expectations are for an additional 10 cm of snow.

Some weather warnings in place across northern germany, although they may not make such a song and dance about it as we do.

Additionally there is a band of heavier snow moving NW across central germany reasonably quickly, heading towards Luxembourg and Belgium, expectations from this are for localised fall of 15cm of snow.

I WILL ADD THAT I HAVE NO IDEA IF ANY OF THIS WILL REACH US, before anyone takes this as a forecast. Just reporting what our teutonic cousins are reporting.

Sounds promising, anything to lift the vibe in here when the country is under its worst winter for decades!

Posted

heck, we already have 18cm from wednesday and ive never seen anything like this. your telling me 20 cm on top of this!!!!

my mum is snowed in where she is, she cant get out of her farm for 4 days!

My in-law's were meant to visit tomorrow but have cancelled due to the snow B)

Whatever happens now on in is a bonus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

I'd just like to thank both the met office and sky news for making people panic buy at the local stores today B)

Posted

Hi Paul S, would you be able to tell me why the forcing within this front has diminished? This was represented within the models. What could have happened do you think?

Jan

Hi Jan

The different Models have had hell with this "Upper" Warm front for days now, some have had it across Lincs/E Anglia others Across the SE, Varying Precip amounts from 1-3cm to 10-15cm, Warm Fronts are a Nightmare to forecast plain and simple. In answer to your question both the Meto, Sky, GFS, Netweather Amatuers have not got a clue until the radar shows some life = Nowcasting

Posted

heck, we already have 18cm from wednesday and ive never seen anything like this. your telling me 20 cm on top of this!!!!

my mum is snowed in where she is, she cant get out of her farm for 4 days!

IMO its unlikely that your location would get 20cm from this lot, maybe favored sports in East Sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: We've hit the giant daddy jackpot!

What complete nonsense. What is amateur about what some like Steve state on here, it is on the whole both more reliable and accurate than anything made available to the general public, if anything the Met Office need a kick up the I have a problem.

Cynical posts like that are best ignored. The majority here respect members weather reports judgements with a bit of humour thrown in. If you want "professional forecasts" leave the forum and refer to the national media channels. Enough said. drinks.gif

Posted

Just refreshed the European radar link and there seems to have been a gap in data for a while east of the Netherlands . The latest shot shows a very large mass of precipitation heading out of the low countries .

Posted

I'd just like to thank both the met office and sky news for making people panic buy at the local stores today :D

indeed! a customer bought 12 loaves of bread on Wednesday! :D

Snowing very lightly now, winds eased looks sleety in nature. Temp back up to 0.1C

Posted

Most of it isn't reaching the ground lol

VERY LITTLE snow here during the day to speak of (north kent) so hoping things improve - the wind direction must have been to blame the showers were much further south and east worst luck and maidstone has had a fabulous amount of snow....hmmm!

Posted

Hi Jan

The different Models have had hell with this "Upper" Warm front for days now, some have had it across Lincs/E Anglia others Across the SE, Varying Precip amounts from 1-3cm to 10-15cm, Warm Fronts are a Nightmare to forecast plain and simple. In answer to your question both the Meto, Sky, GFS, Netweather Amatuers have not got a clue until the radar shows some life = Nowcasting

Thanks Paul, so it's really suck it and see then (If you know what i mean!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

My in-law's were meant to visit tomorrow but have cancelled due to the snow yahoo.gif

ha ha naughty!!!!! any snow falling in Rayleigh atm?

Posted

My in-law's were meant to visit tomorrow but have cancelled due to the snow :D

lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

I'd just like to thank both the met office and sky news for making people panic buy at the local stores today :D

I panic bought 4 bottles of wine today - does that count :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I basically think, and this seems to be backed up by the continuous tv forecasts for snow, that late tonight and through tomorrow we're going to see outbreaks of light/moderate snow spreading west. The showers over the SE are fizzling out and will die out. But the snow thats moving west across Germany and the Low Countries will head towards us. Not massive depths for us, just fairly persistent light/moderate snow which will then shift further north and west during Monday. The next 6-8 hours will probably be mainly dry for most of us.

All we can hope for is that the snow peps up a bit more as it crosses the North Sea, although I wouldnt expect it to do so very much.

Then we have to look towards Tuesday/Wednesday and just hope that the Low moving in from the SW extends a bit further NE than is currently being forecast, but not too far NE, so that we potentially see heavy snow from that. But that is still a relatively long way off and I wouldnt focus too much on the details of it until about Monday evening/Tuesday. The threat at the moment is mainly for the SW and Wales. Far SW will see rain.

Posted

ha ha naughty!!!!! any snow falling in Rayleigh atm?

Nothing at the moment. Very light fine snow for about an hour which stopped about 9.45pm

Posted

I'm still amazed at the variation in snow amounts between here and outer London. Here we have 3 inches, in Barnet theres 5, and in Watford (ok, not technically London but close) theres 6!!

Yeah me too, the bulk of Londons lying snow came from wednesdays events, got lucky because the cell that delivered for us looked like dying out but just managed to pep up a bit when it came over Central London and that single cell is the main reason why the inner zones are holding their own when it comes to snow depths.