Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Hammering down here in the Valley, being thrown everywhere by a very stiff breeze! Drifts starting to form in open land near the river! Max gust last hour 22mph, so can't call it a real blizzard, but sure looks like one in the lampost :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

This cold spell is costing me a fortune in electricity - no, not the heating - the 500w floodlight in the garden on permanent snow watch :(

Posted

Evening all, just started snowing again in Basildon, had a couple of hours heavy snow this afternoon so we made the most of it and headed out in the garden and made an igloo, its 3.5ft wide by 2.5ft high at the mo, we ran out of daylight so will continue tomorrow with it lol.

Not far from you down in E ast London...We made GO GO Hamster Igloos :(

Posted

Hammering down here in the Valley, being thrown everywhere by a very stiff breeze! Drifts starting to form in open land near the river! Max gust last hour 22mph, so can't call it a real blizzard, but sure looks like one in the lampost :cold:

Good news - that means I should see this very soon up at Bluebell Hill end of Rochester :drinks:

Posted

I've got to be honest, I don't see where the excessive snowfall (ala MetO) overnight is meant to come from. Is it the blob to our East, or the front to our very far South East? Or is something going to materialise?

Must admit im thinking the same! That blob over the north Netherlands could be it but then the winds are currently NNE so in theory that should just slip down into northern France. I was expecting to see some massive band heading for us the way Francis was talking on sky earlier :drinks: .

Unless, as you question something is going to pep up over the north sea. Any have any idea if something is going to appear??

I just can't see it! :cray:

Matt :cold:

Posted

Good news - that means I should see this very soon up at Bluebell Hill end of Rochester :drinks:

How on Earth did you escape that, (it's eased right off now, now light to moderate) I can see towards Borstal/Bluebell Hill area, no more than a couple of miles, it must have come right down the Valley then :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Must admit im thinking the same! That blob over the north Netherlands could be it but then the winds are currently NNE so in theory that should just slip down into northern France. I was expecting to see some massive band heading for us the way Francis was talking on sky earlier :drinks: .

Unless, as you question something is going to pep up over the north sea. Any have any idea if something is going to appear??

I just can't see it! :cray:

Matt :cold:

Just got back from driving down a country lane, the snow was drifting over 5 feet of snow in places, i'm not exagerating, the wind was picking up the snow from the fields and blowing it around, the snow was about 1 foot level on the roads in places and we had to dig a ladies car out of the snow to get her going again. The snow is incredible here in North Kent, i'm home and away from the fields now, and we have an easy 6-7 inches of snow on the ground

Posted

So all this precipitation that's flying here at the moment, which is basically light snow, sleet and snizzle, is that actually pepping up as it goes in land? Looking at the radar it looks heavier towards Ashford/Maidstone way than it is here, is that what they talked about the updraft and hills or something technical earlier? Because it's not exactly heavy snow here unless the main "event" hasn't arrived yet. :drinks:

Posted

Polystyrene type snow at the mo

Posted

How on Earth did you escape that, (it's eased right off now, now light to moderate) I can see towards Borstal/Bluebell Hill area, no more than a couple of miles, it must have come right down the Valley then :cold:

It's my own fault, it was hammering down and when I said I was going out for a takeaway, it stopped :drinks:

Posted

Has been persistent Fine Snizzle and Sleet for the last hour or so here :drinks: Even the Car windscreen looks like it has just drizzled! DOH!

Paul S

Local fun and games again then. Been persistant light occ mod snow for last hour here. A slight westward movement and your back in the game.

Posted

;

This cold spell is costing me a fortune in electricity - no, not the heating - the 500w floodlight in the garden on permanent snow watch :rofl:

:lol: :lol: and i thought i was the only fruitcake with it on :lol: :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

The radar is still picking up alot of precipitation snizzle e.t.c , but outside NOTHING!... Is it drying up before it hits the ground? :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and hot in summer

light snow falling in strood,kent. but being blown around by strong winds

Well Im giving it to 22:30 tonight on radar watch then calling it a day- although I already know its game set & match-

The problem here isnt what the weathers done its the expectation brought about by TV forecasters ( met ones) who are not given enough time to properly convey a message to the audience- & so like a heard of lemmings the general public refer to the MET office site- for warning which quite frankly is an un-usable shambles-

This Easterly- or shall I say North easterly has been for the Majority pretty dry as the curvature of the isolines is such that the flow suits the extreme east of Essex, a small strip of Central Kent & parts of East + west Sussex-

We could have made this very easy at the start, & said pretty much faversham up to Gravesend & areas all points SW- along the compass - Plus the SE corner of essex- Felixstowe to Ipswich-

Tonight will be a case of the meek watch in envy as the rich get richer-

Ive mentioned sittingbourne about 5/6 times now each day & had Ashford originally as my Jackout zone- both have varified with snow now exceeding 30cms in some locations- & when all said & done somewhere will have 40/45cm-

Sadly the sliding scale of snow locally to these areas isnt uniform, its at very sharp gradient- so drive out of sittingbourne 10 miles wither way- ( more especially west) & you go from 12 inches to 2/3-

Its a pity because in terms of cold its been the best for years & would have delivered for so many more people had the wind been a bit more westerly vectored-

As for the longivity now- I think we have a chance of snow moving in from the SW in 3 days time, the likley hood is though it will be away towards Hampshire/ dorset & we will be dry-

That leaves us *Potentially* with another 8-10 days of very cold surface air & snow Cover- but not much in the way of snow- very 1986 esque-

good for those in Kent as it will be a sledging fest-

Exciting- not really- abnormal yes-

We need a reload from the East to bring the threat of snow back........

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

This cold spell is costing me a fortune in electricity - no, not the heating - the 500w floodlight in the garden on permanent snow watch :rofl:

Just like mine, my neighbours must love me haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

;

:rofl: :lol: and i thought i was the only fruitcake with it on :lol: :lol:

Essential viewing - better than the TV :lol:

Posted

Must admit im thinking the same! That blob over the north Netherlands could be it but then the winds are currently NNE so in theory that should just slip down into northern France. I was expecting to see some massive band heading for us the way Francis was talking on sky earlier :rofl: .

I just can't see it! :lol:

Matt :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake-effect_snow

How about this? well in this instance sea effect?