Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

OMG!!! We just had a blizzard of clear air , it made the lamps move !

Umm, I think you'll find thats called wind Neil! :drinks:

Posted

WHEN ARE THE THESE WINDS GOING TO TURN EASTERLY , IM SORRY BUT WATCHING THOSE SHOWERS HITTING KENT FOR 24 HOURS is slightly annoying.

Is it really necessary to use all cap locks? Really is quite annoying and on many forums there is actually a ban against doing so... :drinks: Only succeeds in making you seem obnoxious and irritating.

Edited by Kentish Kiwi

Posted

Good to hear you,ve got your priorities right drinks.gif

o yes. housework , ironing etc all gone to pot the last week with lamp post/radar watching, Anyway what you think our chance for some more tonight??

Though i think we done quite well so far, considering we on the coast and usually watch the rest of the country under snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

WHEN ARE THE THESE WINDS GOING TO TURN EASTERLY , IM SORRY BUT WATCHING THOSE SHOWERS HITTING KENT FOR 24 HOURS is slightly annoying.

Stop shouting!

Posted

It gets very confusing on here during these periods!

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understood the 'main' event isn't expect to arrive until later on tonight and through out tomorrow (hence the SWW lasting till tomorrow 23.59). The snow bands or showers which some areas have seen today are not part of this, so if it was snowing in your area earlier but now isn't, it's just because those showers have passed but the main front is yet to arrive.

How much snow falls and where is really, as Steve is having to point out so many times, is up in the air until it hits our shores and we can determine what goes on at that point (convection, wind direction, DP's etc)

So everyone take a deep old breath, watch the TV, have some dinner and take a break from watching every weather forecast on the BBC, ITV, Sky News, C5, CNN and following blobs on the radar. Enjoy whatever snow some of you have had instead! I do think a lot of this is being missed because of being glued to a PC/Laptop screen!

Could not agree more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Ah yes, the mysterious easterly - always a day away. I was just daydreaming of what would have happened if the wind had changed :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Evening all, just started snowing again in Basildon, had a couple of hours heavy snow this afternoon so we made the most of it and headed out in the garden and made an igloo, its 3.5ft wide by 2.5ft high at the mo, we ran out of daylight so will continue tomorrow with it lol.

Posted

Apologies to those further NW + W. If there was anything I could do to give you some I would. It's not our fault we keep getting pummeled by snow, it's due to the weather. Just think, how long will it take before all this melts!? Will go for a measure at 9pm to see if it's any deeper. It's still snowing lightly but blizzardly.

Posted

if the Kent guys get ejected to their own thread I vote for Southend and the Essex Marshes to go with them. They are a province of Kent as far as the regional climate is concerned.

then the rest of Essex and London can whinge together in happy contentment that if any one of us is getting screwed the likelihood is we're all getting screwed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

nothing in SWF at all ? odd as in Chelmsford we have moderate fine snow

Just checked again. Very very light, you know the kind where is it snowing or is it just wind blowing flakes off the roof.

Posted

PMSL, weren't you the one telling me to stop complaining when I mentioned exactly the same thing earlier?!

I'v been waiting for this sniveling little wind to change at this end of the Estuary for 4 days now :(

But fear not! for indeed the steering winds are going to change as we go into Monday, into an Easterly then a South Easterly :)

May not be much juice in any convection by then but at least we will be more favoured for a dollop if it's around. Could be a constant stream of light/mod snow into London on Monday/Tues - you never know :)

Posted

if the Kent guys get ejected to their own thread I vote for Southend and the Essex Marshes to go with them. They are a province of Kent as far as the regional climate is concerned.

then the rest of Essex and London can whinge together in happy contentment that if any one of us is getting screwed the likelihood is we're all getting screwed!

Post of the night

:(

Edited by Mullet

Posted

I've got to be honest, I don't see where the excessive snowfall (ala MetO) overnight is meant to come from. Is it the blob to our East, or the front to our very far South East? Or is something going to materialise?

post-5986-12630690458342_thumb.png

Posted

Has been persistent Fine Snizzle and Sleet for the last hour or so here :( Even the Car windscreen looks like it has just drizzled! DOH!

Paul S

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Met office please don't give it out weather warnings and mention large snow amounts , it makes it go wrong! :(

Posted

I'm more and more convinced that for London (or north London at least), this is going to be rubbish. Whatever we get now will not live up to the hype this event has had since Wednesday. The problem is, we were well and truely spoiled by last February's event, and now we want it again!!

Guest FireStorm

I've got to be honest, I don't see where the excessive snowfall (ala MetO) overnight is meant to come from. Is it the blob to our East, or the front to our very far South East? Or is something going to materialise?

post-5986-12630690458342_thumb.png

Probably some form of modification over the water before landfall, convective snow perhaps..

Posted

Probably the exceptionally dry sea.

Posted

o yes. housework , ironing etc all gone to pot the last week with lamp post/radar watching, Anyway what you think our chance for some more tonight??

Though i think we done quite well so far, considering we on the coast and usually watch the rest of the country under snow

Same here! lol