Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

been like a waterfall of very fine snow almost all day till 430. then subsided - but its snowing again now ! but radar looks dead .

ho hum

Posted

Rob McElwee is still going for it on BBC London. Don't know what to think any more. Very confused.

Jan

Not the only on eI think lol !

Posted

I think emotion are speaking for some, its so hard when down the road has a huge pile and you haven't even got enough to sledge on.

Looking at the sat and radar i think we are in transition, the convection has been killed and the warm upper air is coming in, i think we will see light snow but will it get more widespread?? if its established then the favored areas getting the breeze from the north see will see there snow peeped up.

Does look like being the same areas but this is the nature of weather.

I asked my weather gods for snow last week and got dumped on on Tue/wed which was more impressive than Feb.

This week I'll ask them to dump the whole of the southeast to keep everyone happy.

At the end of the day its an unreal winter many people didn't think was possible, maybe your turn next time......

In life i have found what you think about you get, so lets all think snow!!!!

Posted

Rob McElwee is still going for it on BBC London. Don't know what to think any more. Very confused.

Jan

I dont understand it either Jan cant see where the precipitation is going to come from to deliver 10 to 20cm of snow grains but these guys obviously have a rabbit in a hat somewhere so lets wait and see tomorrow but somehow i don't think so

Posted

Professional Forecasters know more than people on an internet forum shock!!!!...............erm no not really however much you want to put certain people on this forum into a demi god status they are still amateurs, admittedly good ones but if astounds me that when certain people post there amateur synopsis/forecasts on here people roll over like little puppies and disregard what may have been said by others.

Rant over...

I do agree,like you say there is a lot of very knowlegable people on here and they do know what they are talking about but lets wait and see what tonight brings,most of the weather reporters say we are still in for a good amount of snow,maybe we wont get it but maybe we will,i would like to see a bit more snow ,but i want people to keep smiling and not to give up yet,come on guys lets have a bit more up beat feelingdrinks.gif

Posted

2130 Radar has the Precip shrinking in coverage now (Shock Horror Even In Kent) PMSL

Sleety stuff still around the Coasts now as well

Paul S

Posted

I think they have, just a warning for the special bits of kent, then all green for mon-wed for us

A few minutes ago it was still orange for all Kent, Essex and Sussex till end Sunday

Posted

Professional Forecasters know more than people on an internet forum shock!!!!...............erm no not really however much you want to put certain people on this forum into a demi god status they are still amateurs, admittedly good ones but if astounds me that when certain people post there amateur synopsis/forecasts on here people roll over like little puppies and disregard what may have been said by others.

Rant over...

In my view nowcasting, combined with reading the views of a select band of experts on this forum, are often more productive than watching TV forecasts that can appear to use data that seems, well, hours out of date.

Who can forget the Penny Tranter fiasco forecasting the SE to get plastered when the event was already quite already plainly dead!

MM

Posted

MetO have issued a severe warning of more snow for the Croydon Borough. There must be something the MetO and Sky News know that some on here don't. Francis Wilson tells all how it is, so I'll be interested to see how things unfold with the prospect of more snow tonight into Sunday & Monday.

I don't mean to sound rude mate, but the Croydon Borough must have its own micro-climate. Even if we do get snow, and I'm sure we will do tomorrow, it is unlikely to be in any way 'severe'. Unless what is termed 'severe' nowadays actually means 'a bit on the heavy side'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Well I think we should all just chill and enjoy the cold weather. If it's light snow or heavy snow or blizzards at least it isn't 10 plus and raining. Even now we may have more chances in the coming week. Cheer up everyone at least it's cold lol

Posted

MetO have issued a severe warning of more snow for the Croydon Borough. There must be something the MetO and Sky News know that some on here don't. Francis Wilson tells all how it is, so I'll be interested to see how things unfold with the prospect of more snow tonight into Sunday & Monday.

Well if london gets a dump overnight and through the rest of the weekend I shall be a) delighted and :hi: humble yet all I see is the Least from the Noreast dumping intense snow on the favoured spots of central Kent and nothing for london of any consequence yet again. Hope I am wrong, but I fear I will be right

Edited by Downpour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

In life i have found what you think about you get, so lets all think snow!!!!

I've been thinking of nothing else for weeks :hi: :lol:

Posted

Snow on and off during the afternoon here in Reigate, spells of not much and then bursts of more life. Currently snowing moderately, and distinctly horizontally. However, even in the dark and looking pretty much due north, we can currently see the shape of the top of the Downs from the front door, so it is clearly not as heavy now as it was earlier when you couldn't see the Downs at all.

From the model discussion pages there seems a decent chance for the battlefront scenario and the cold to win out for a while yet, which seems to be being hinted at as well by the media forecasts.

Living on a hill (in a house on a hill in truth) provides some entertainment in the current conditions and, if I was so minded, betting opportunites. Will that car make it up? Where will it stop? Chances of a push?

AS

Yes, Reigate is rather hilly isn't it... :hi: I live in Woodhatch and even though my hill isn't that steep I've watched cars spin their tyres pointlessly!

We've had snow falling today since about 3pm - it's very fine now and blowing horizontally in the wind - it's probably given another inch or so to the 6 inches we had here already looking at my car which was clear this morning.

Posted

appropos nothing in particular, having quickly trawled the Deutsche Wetterdienst, some german weather forums etc. etc

there is a large area of light to moderate snow moving across the plains of northern germany and northern holland towards the North Sea. Precipitation rates are rising all the time. Expectations are for an additional 10 cm of snow.

Some weather warnings in place across northern germany, although they may not make such a song and dance about it as we do.

Additionally there is a band of heavier snow moving NW across central germany reasonably quickly, heading towards Luxembourg and Belgium, expectations from this are for localised fall of 15cm of snow.

I WILL ADD THAT I HAVE NO IDEA IF ANY OF THIS WILL REACH US, before anyone takes this as a forecast. Just reporting what our teutonic cousins are reporting.

Posted

Rant over...

What complete nonsense. What is amateur about what some like Steve state on here, it is on the whole both more reliable and accurate than anything made available to the general public, if anything the Met Office need a kick up the I have a problem.

Posted

Can I ask someone a Question about my weather station? It's a Watson 8681 wireless one I think lol....

Don't think it's positioned well for Wind, but atm it is showing North for Now and S to SW sometimes E for avarage over last 10 mins? Does this sound about right for my location in Burgess Hill?

Posted

appropos nothing in particular, having quickly trawled the Deutsche Wetterdienst, some german weather forums etc. etc

there is a large area of light to moderate snow moving across the plains of northern germany and northern holland towards the North Sea. Precipitation rates are rising all the time. Expectations are for an additional 10 cm of snow.

Some weather warnings in place across northern germany, although they may not make such a song and dance about it as we do.

Additionally there is a band of heavier snow moving NW across central germany reasonably quickly, heading towards Luxembourg and Belgium, expectations from this are for localised fall of 15cm of snow.

I WILL ADD THAT I HAVE NO IDEA IF ANY OF THIS WILL REACH US, before anyone takes this as a forecast. Just reporting what our teutonic cousins are reporting.

Thanks Nick

Posted

I think emotion are speaking for some, its so hard when down the road has a huge pile and you haven't even got enough to sledge on.

Looking at the sat and radar i think we are in transition, the convection has been killed and the warm upper air is coming in, i think we will see light snow but will it get more widespread?? if its established then the favored areas getting the breeze from the north see will see there snow peeped up.

Does look like being the same areas but this is the nature of weather.

Yea I agree with this, Transition period underway due to the 2 different air masses reacting with each other, should mean the Warm Front is pretty close now

Posted

I don't mean to sound rude mate, but the Croydon Borough must have its own micro-climate. Even if we do get snow, and I'm sure we will do tomorrow, it is unlikely to be in any way 'severe'. Unless what is termed 'severe' nowadays actually means 'a bit on the heavy side'

I am astounded! Not sure Sutton does although in saying that a gritter has just gone by whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

[quote name='wee' date='09 January 2010 - 21:31 ' timestamp='1263072715' post='1731056'

Still snowing in Brighton,small flakes but very ast ,dont give up guys ,you never know what will happen overnightrolleyes.gif

[hi wee. Hav u had much then? I left 2day due bk 2moro thinking it wldnt show as the past few nights nothng materialisd. I hope i can get back from chichester 2morro! ]

Posted

Sky still talking about Kent, Sussex and Essex copping up to 20cm of snow B)

heck, we already have 18cm from wednesday and ive never seen anything like this. your telling me 20 cm on top of this!!!!

my mum is snowed in where she is, she cant get out of her farm for 4 days!

Edited by Westsussex1

Posted

Can I ask someone a Question about my weather station? It's a Watson 8681 wireless one I think lol....

Don't think it's positioned well for Wind, but atm it is showing North for Now and S to SW sometimes E for avarage over last 10 mins? Does this sound about right for my location in Burgess Hill?

I have a similar station, my wind cups broke off, does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

Sorry CG dont really see where you are coming from there....

Can I just take a moment to calm things down a notch CG

The meaning of Forecast [noun] a prediction about how something (as the weather) will develop.

No matter if your an amateur or professional you can only forcast what you think may happen based on all available data.

Given that the guys on this site will have as much data available to them (within a bit) than the professionals they have every right to give us the benefit of their considerable experience and let us know their thoughts on how they see things panning out.

The "professionals" are also giving thier opinions....we will see tomorrow who's interpretation was nearest the mark....surley thats half the fun sometimes!good.gif