Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Sorry, I was trying to point out it's not just Kent... it is moving further west!

Steve, I'm surprised to see you so despondent re the snow? Do you think this will continue to be localised?

Oh see what you mean chap. Fair enough, I heard you guys did ok.

Tried to get Mrs Downpour to go but she moaned something about it being too cold. Hanger Hill Park was great in Ealing on Thursday but we need a top up now. Did people in N/S/SE London get a cm or two today?

I'm in SE London and only had 1mm today. Im not joking that's it. I have been inspired by the posts of travelling out to nearby rural areas and will try and do that tomorrow. Only 20 miles away should have loads of deep snow. It will be lovely but I would love to see the city under deep snow which looks great, but we've continuously missed out this week so heading out it is.

Posted

NOT ALL KENT PEOPLE WHINGE WHEN IT STOPS. I HAVE ONLY GOT A CM OF SNOW SINCE 2PM. LOT OF DRIFTING.

But you forgot to mention the 12cm before 2pm :D

Posted

Here in Addlestone, Surrey we had sleet/snow slight blizzard for about an hour this afternoon but nothing since

Sorry but I have to ask....what exactly is a 'slight blizzard' ? Other than a total contradiction in terms

Posted

I agree. Having the afternoon in Richmond Park today really made me appreciate it has been an amazing cold spell for London too and also realised that the snow totals haven't been completely insignificant but not too bad really, away from the very central 2 miles of town where every surface has been gritted anyway!

The ice on the large frozen lakes in the park was thick enough to walk right across - the wind was blowing, snow was falling, deer were running about amongst the tussocks and woods - it felt positively arctic over there today. took some pics which i will post later.

OK i know walking on frozen lakes isnt a good idea from a health and safety point of view etc etc but it was amazing to be able to do it - first time in more than 15 years i've been able to - and never thought i'd be able to do it right in London amidst such a wintery scene.

Yes, it's true. I checked out Walpole Park in Ealing and was within an ace of trying to walk the ice, but I think the missus would have had a heart attack. Now I am desperate for some proper winter action tomorrow, will probably head to SE London where there is a 2cm of new powder on top of 7cm of older stuff.

Posted

Erm

Latest Radar Update at 1850 shows the Thames Estuary looks like a 4 year old has just painted it Pink :rofl::rofl::D

It has filled Up with Snow PMSL!

Francis Wilson chief forecaster at Sky News has forecast snow on Monday for two days now. I think Sky News is worth keeping an eye on. Here is his forecast snap shot for Monday and look at Wednesday as well :D BBC/MetO will follow suit :lol:

post-2721-12630654415642_thumb.jpg

post-2721-12630654713742_thumb.jpg

Posted

NOT ALL KENT PEOPLE WHINGE WHEN IT STOPS. I HAVE ONLY GOT A CM OF SNOW SINCE 2PM. LOT OF DRIFTING.

Allan, good to see you not whinging, i will though - your CAPS LOCK key over on the left hand side of the keyboard, could you press it JUST ONCE ? :D Many thanks, i hope the snow gods give you all you want ;-)

Posted

OK girls and boys, there are places on here to moan, there are places to ramp. This is a place to talk about the cold and snow.

Please don't make me get my deleting finger going, I'm having such a lovely time (along with others) enjoying the snow and feel sorry for those who haven't had it yet and happy for those that have.

Tolerance and patience peeps please! :D

Posted

last half hour definate westward shift in the precipitation

really, thought it was going beack east ealier, though last 5 min radar shows it moving west slightly, maybe.

lets hope. unsure.gif

Posted

Francis Wilson chief forecaster at Sky News has forecast snow on Monday for two days now. I think Sky News is worth keeping an eye on. Here is his forecast snap shot for Monday and look at Wednesday as well :rofl: BBC/MetO will follow suit :D

post-2721-12630654415642_thumb.jpg

post-2721-12630654713742_thumb.jpg

Looks wet for a Soweaster on Wednesday. Soweasters are usually dry but that looks vicious!

Posted

Even if things are on the turn still had a great snowy period before xmas and the last few days, more than I expected this winter time, got some nice pictures for the album too :D

regards,

Steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and hot in summer

But you forgot to mention the 12cm before 2pm biggrin.gif

WE HAVE ONLY HAD 6CM SINCE MONDAY. SO I DONT KNOW WHY LONDONERS ARE WHINGING ABOUT NO SNOW.

Posted

How much snow have Ashford got now then?

Everytime I look at the radar there seems to be a band of snow sitting over the Ashford area.

Since I brushed the snow off my car this morning there's only been a slight covering, despite it snowing all day long... We've had light snow here with the odd 1 - 2 minute heavy spell.

Posted

Had a period of moderate snow a while ago which left another covering on the cars and was drifting. Has stopped now though which is rather disappointing. May get some more later, but not holding my breath!

Edited by Don

Posted

OK girls and boys, there are places on here to moan, there are places to ramp. This is a place to talk about the cold and snow.

Please don't make me get my deleting finger going, I'm having such a lovely time (along with others) enjoying the snow and feel sorry for those who haven't had it yet and happy for those that have.

Tolerance and patience peeps please! :D

Yes dear

Posted

I agree. And I am also doubtful about tonight. Looking like a Kent event yet again. I hope to be pleasantly surprised in the morning. But I think I will be stuck with my 1-2 inches of old gear (which I accept is more than our brethren in central and south London have)

The central zones have actually done quite well here, I went snow spotting into zone 2 and into Westminster yesterday and places like St Johns wood had 6cms which is a cm more than here.

The radar hasn't been too kind to London but when it has the central and southern zones haven't done too bad.

Most of the capital bar the main business districs have at least some lying snow.

Very pleased about the upgrades but does anyone know what's going to happens to the wind direction with the new upgrades? specifically up the Estuary and into London??

Please not another North Easterly :D

Posted

Oh see what you mean chap. Fair enough, I heard you guys did ok.

Yes indeed - we have done very well... difficult to walk in pushing a baby buggy though! :)

Posted

Yes, it's true. I checked out Walpole Park in Ealing and was within an ace of trying to walk the ice, but I think the missus would have had a heart attack. Now I am desperate for some proper winter action tomorrow, will probably head to SE London where there is a 2cm of new powder on top of 7cm of older stuff.

i was very cautious as well took me a while to pluck up the courage - wait til i saw someone else doing it!

to see decent depths of snow you just need to go a few miles south east or outside centre. or any parks in south london really.

ok its not feet deep but its easy to get spoilt or jealous of what others have and forget that there have been more days of lying snow in London this winter than in the last 7 or 8 winters combined - and it's only the 9th of January! lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and hot in summer

Tolerance and patience peeps please! good.gif

i agree. i apologise.

Posted

The central zones have actually done quite well here, I went snow spotting into zone 2 and into Westminster yesterday and places like St Johns wood had 6cms which is a cm more than here.

The radar hasn't been too kind to London but when it has the central and southern zones haven't done too bad.

Most of the capital bar the main business districs have at least some lying snow.

Very pleased about the upgrades but does anyone know what's going to happens to the wind direction with the new upgrades? specifically up the Estuary and into London??

Please not another North Easterly :)

Agreed. I think one of the moderators should ban noreasters!

Posted

All good things come to those who wait....(So they say! :) ) If we get it we get it, if we don't we don't!

Nothing anyone can do about it unfortunatly! haha

Edited by jojobut

Posted

WE HAVE ONLY HAD 6CM SINCE MONDAY. SO I DONT KNOW WHY LONDONERS ARE WHINGING ABOUT NO SNOW.

LOL....We Londoners have probably got 1cm and some ice...and were still enjoying it...How old are you?