Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

don't know if i posted this right, but this warning for south west england only added to metoffice website 10 mins ago.

Admittedly, only a 60% chance at mo. With current model predictions that could downgrade or upgrade. Lot of uncertainty at the mo.

:help: there me telling people its over

here we go again

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Not for us though Dogs.

Probably slushy wet snow anyway.

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted

help.gif there me telling people its over

It ain't over 'til it's over, Dogs!

We're both old enough to realise these extended cold spells don't usually want to go away without a 'fight'! That 'fight' is normally a battleground snowfest - who will exactly be in the main firing line is yet to be decided - somewhere in the south west/south midlands/south wales/s.ireland region. If i was a betting man, which i am, my money would be on parts of s.wales and south somerset, and the moors of Devon, but who knows.

Posted

Not for us though Dogs.

I was just in your road making sure my dad was OK.....didnt you hear or see a black Mazda skidding sliding....

dont worry wont mention location...

YOUR ROAD is BAD

on the snow front, it could all change..

roller coaster time

im leaving for Africa.. :help:

where is the sun

edit..BB roller coaster time next week,with the late shifts

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

I'd take 60% ... thats an upgrade (in terms of colour) since yesterday and not a downgrade as some of the posts on here were talking about.

With SE'rly winds we are looking at the low slipping SE over France which is what we want to see imo.

Still snowing here and a good 7inches on the grass.

Posted

Not for us though Dogs.

At the mo J.

But there only needs to be a stronger 'defence' by the colder air to give decent snowfall for some - probably of the 'wetter' variety, but temps only need to fall a couple of degrees again and who knows?! This is one to watch for next 24/36 hours before firming up on exact detail.

EDIT: Of course, another scenario is that this system steamrollers its way into the Midlands proper and we all end up in temps of 10 degrees celsius for a few days at leastmad.gif

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Yes Dogs - gritters/snowploughs haven't touched the road in days.

Snow is starting to look messy already now with a slow thaw underway and most of the snow gone from the trees.

How are things looking where you are?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Had a trip out in the car earlier, It was snowing in Stroud eased off in Cirencester and then came on again near Birdlip which looks as if it's had a good half inch.

Posted

Well still havent seen any of this snow forecast not even seen the easterly wind Temp still at 0.5c snow not even melting the cold spell continues its not over

And i have no doubts at all we will see something significant come tuesday or wednesday before it turns to rain perhaps

Posted

Yes Dogs - gritters/snowploughs haven't touched the road in days.

Snow is starting to look messy already now with a slow thaw underway and most of the snow gone from the trees.

How are things looking where you are?

its like your road,very bad.

The main roads are OK....but any side road is deadly as I found out.

If you have a 4x4 probably going to be OK...

They are not sure about Tue/Wed at present,I personally could do with a break from it.

But what will be will be :help:

Posted

AfternoonAll,

Just heard Ian Ferguson on BBC Radio Gloucestershire, and he alluded to the Tues/Weds event - very difficult to call at present.He also mentioned possibilities for the coming end of week/weekend for more snow, but way to far out yet.

Cheers,

Phil.

PS - incase you read this Ian, I hope that's a fair reflection!! :help:

Edited by Defector

Posted

AfternoonAll,

Just heard Ian Ferguson on BBC Radio Gloucestershire, and he alluded to the Tues/Weds event - very difficult to call at present.He also mentioned possibilities for the coming end of week/weekend for more snow, but way to far out yet.

Cheers,

Phil.

PS - incase you read this Ian, I hope that's a fair reflection!! :D

Ok booking flight's now :lol:

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Hi Defector I heard something earlier but came on half way through so couldn't tell who was talking.

Posted

AfternoonAll,

Cheers,

Phil.

PS - incase you read this Ian, I hope that's a fair reflection!! biggrin.gif

Interesting. He's a busy man, Ian.

That would tie in with the front not getting too far north, backing away and a reload of colder easterlies - air becomes unstable again and more snow by end of week/wend. This cold spell will not go far - it'll be back - if it's to go away at all!

There, i think i've covered most angles!biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

help.gif there me telling people its over

here we go again

And Here is todays weather forecast " The whole of the south can expect disgraceful amounts of snow Tuesday and Wednesday which will come to nothing by the end of Monday"wallbash.gif ref. new met office warning

Posted

And Here is todays weather forecast " The whole of the south can expect disgraceful amounts of snow Tuesday and Wednesday which will come to nothing by the end of Monday"wallbash.gif ref. new met office warning

That's harsh - doing the best they can in my view. That's one job I wouldn't want to do - so much grief if/when it doesn't work out,

You have to remember these are advisory weather warnings - not cast in stone drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I Don't think north somerset and banes and bristol will even see 2 inches on tuesday.

I just feel despondent after todays down grade along with others. cc_confused.gif

30cm on high ground sounds too good to be true though.... mendips hmmm

Edited by mullender83

Posted

That's harsh - doing the best they can in my view. That's one job I wouldn't want to do - so much grief if/when it doesn't work out,

You have to remember these are advisory weather warnings - not cast in stone drinks.gif

Yeah that's correct. The one for Tues/Wed is only a 60% at the mo, so that's indicating things could and probably will change.

One thing i've learnt from this cold spell is how damned difficult it is to pinpoint exact locations for snow, and Ian's been an absolute legend in the past few weeks, so i think i'll back away from dissing the pros. Cheers

Posted

true but it is not an advisory any more it is a Early warnings of severe or extreme weather.

Advisory is yellow not orange?

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yes I know,but coming from somewhere that has of yet has seen virtually no snow I can't but help get a little bitter and twisted loldiablo.gif I know they're doing a great job and also realise exactly how difficult a period this is to forecast

Posted

true but it is not an advisory any more it is a Early warnings of severe or extreme weather.

Advisory is yellow not orange?

But at the mo, M, it's only 60% confidence so it will change over next 24 hours i'd guess. I also seem to remember Ian kindly explaining that their 'area' warnings have a 50 mile margin of error, so to speak.

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted

But at the mo, M, it's only 60% confidence so it will change over next 24 hours i'd guess. I also seem to remember Ian kindly explaining that their 'area' warnings have a 50 mile margin of error, so to speak.

60% OR GREATER.

But yes it isnt set in stone and will change in favour for someone. unknw.gif