Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

BBC this morning were still going for epic snow for Devon on Tuesday, not much further north.

Temps are bound to get higher... it can't stay at -10c and below for ever!

Anyway, I'm off for a touch of skiing in the powder :)

Posted

Just woke up and it would seam like we've had nothing in Swindon at all! Total rubbish! When are the forecasters actually going to get it right for the N Wilts area? They've ao far been wrong all week and constantly changing their minds.....argh! Frustrating

Posted

Amazing BBC forecast!

Complete turn around on everything...

Higher temps...

Rain around coasts..

Hardly any snow...

Night temps much higher...

Last night all the above were oposite!

And once again completer confusion, arguements, and disagrement in the model output thread!

Im underneath it on the radar..very very light.

think il go out for bit , need break from snow lol.

Posted

nothing here also maybe it to early yet and something will happen in a bit.There is a few bits falling right now.It was forecast to be light but this is light light be lucky tio get even a coverin and would take days to get it lol

Posted

:) , I had a dream that I woke up at about 7:30am, looked out of my window and there was a dusting of snow on the cars outside. A crazy dream obviously as a quick glance outside the window now and there is no sign of it! :)

Dorset, gotta love it in the winter...

Edited by s4lancia

Posted

Yup, its fascinating how Devon seems to be getting better and better snowfalls despite constant focus to the east eh!

Love it. Hardly anything in Kent over night apparently, after putting the army on standby.

-2.8C here. Which ties in with the bigger flakes of snow as they get to sick together.

Matt,what is your take on Dartmoor today - 'Mrs Egret' has to come down to Lauceston area on work later today and is unsure whether it wll be best to travel earlier or later.

Posted

Is ICEBURG about for an update?

Im coming back later when some more model output has come out.

Last night the models were showing a continuation of the cold now a different output again.

Posted

Can I just say that the large area of precipitation in the west country was, until around 6am this morning coming over from France and heading in a northerly direction towards wales and the midlands. Even at its worst, there were only a few snowflakes falling and there was no accumulation whatsoever here.

Around 6am the wind direction changed and it seems from looking at the other threads that it was the easterly that has been delayed. The precipitation that we were expecting today off the easterly is just forming now as it comes over from Belgium and that general area - if you have the European radar you can see it.

Hope this helps understand what happened overnight when you were in your beds and there were only a few of us around on here.

Fiona

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Matt,what is your take on Dartmoor today - 'Mrs Egret' has to come down to Lauceston area on work later today and is unsure whether it wll be best to travel earlier or later.

Heavy snow to the north of Dartmoor, Holsworthy, Whiddon Down etc but pretty bad in the east as well. Best to check on the road conditions before going. Whiddon Down is on the A30 so should be OK, but if you were going over the top I'd forget it. Princetown was blocked in the week so I would think the road was pretty impassable to 2wheel drive.

BBC Devon website has the travel updates.

Posted

Can I just say that the large area of precipitation in the west country was, until around 6am this morning coming over from France and heading in a northerly direction towards wales and the midlands. Even at its worst, there were only a few snowflakes falling and there was no accumulation whatsoever here.

Around 6am the wind direction changed and it seems from looking at the other threads that it was the easterly that has been delayed. The precipitation that we were expecting today off the easterly is just forming now as it comes over from Belgium and that general area - if you have the European radar you can see it.

Hope this helps understand what happened overnight when you were in your beds and there were only a few of us around on here.

Fiona

So really its only been delayed.

Posted

the Wash streamer is heavy and heading our way

heavy snow still here...

temp going up

currently 1.4

edit ,,large flakes

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Heavy snow to the north of Dartmoor, Holsworthy, Whiddon Down etc but pretty bad in the east as well. Best to check on the road conditions before going. Whiddon Down is on the A30 so should be OK, but if you were going over the top I'd forget it. Princetown was blocked in the week so I would think the road was pretty impassable to 2wheel drive.

BBC Devon website has the travel updates.

Brilliant, thanks for the local info - real value in getting informed local advice when planning such journeys.

Enjoy the skiing!

Zilch so far today here in Dorset, just 15mm now left over lying from last week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

So far for my area the forecast was spot on! Light to moderate snow, some accumulation. The area of ppn off the East coast looks like it 'could' join the bands os showers coming from the Wash area, presuming nothing changes in the coming hours.

Fairly heavy snow now....

Posted

biggrin.gif , I had a dream that I woke up at about 7:30am, looked out of my window and there was a dusting of snow on the cars outside. A crazy dream obviously as a quick glance outside the window now and there is no sign of it! biggrin.gif

Dorset, gotta love it in the winter...

We are however winning one of the cold winter contests at the moment apart from lack of snow, A BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSE PLEASE FOR THE COUNTY WITH THE MOST GRIT STILL!!yahoo.gifclap.gif

Posted

Just woke up and it would seam like we've had nothing in Swindon at all! Total rubbish! When are the forecasters actually going to get it right for the N Wilts area? They've ao far been wrong all week and constantly changing their minds.....argh! Frustrating

Glad someone agrees i said just the same earlier for Swindon they have got it so wrong wrong wrong this week.