Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

It looks to be a Teeside South even to me. Its marginal for Tyneside.

Aye its marginal (whether the precipitation hits us or not), but I'd be surprised not to get a dusting at least. Teesside SHOULD get a pasting imo.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Teits - P.S Keep an eye on the trough currently in the N Sea. This will swing SW into NE England/Humber/Lincs/E Anglia later tonight. Some could wake up to a decent covering.

Posted that in MO thread and bacuse it involves us i thought id post it in here

Posted

Just noticed the BBC are predicting light snow for Tuesday and heavy snow for Wednesday :p

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10/?area=Newcastle

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I'd say 80-90% chance of snowfall hitting parts of Northumberland, Tyneside and especially Teeside within the next few hours, ran the last hour or so on the radar and the occluded front shown on UKMO fax will make its presence felt. Think they could be some significant falls down the eastern side tonight.

Posted

Just noticed the BBC are predicting light snow for Tuesday and heavy snow for Wednesday tongue.gif

http://news.bbc.co.u...?area=Newcastle

I'd say 80-90% chance of snowfall hitting parts of Northumberland, Tyneside and especially Teeside within the next few hours, ran the last hour or so on the radar and the occluded front shown on UKMO fax will make its presence felt. Think they could be some significant falls down the eastern side tonight.

Alza ill just take tonight snow for starters yahoo.gif NL i live in Teeside and very happy atm and im staying up till 12 at least yahoo.gif

Posted

Yeah, I doubt we'll miss out completely, and it looks earlier than I originally thought, maybe hitting somewhere by 23:00? My worry is that whilst the precipitation will probably hit Newcastle it might lose most of its intensity as soon as it hits land, but looking at how potent it is I doubt it somehow.

Posted

Still looking good on the radar what a surprise this could be! biggrin.gifohmy.gifclap.gif If anything its intensyfing more. drinks.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

A few clouds around now, and between 22:00 and 23:00 the coast could get their first flurry!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I have to admit I have been mislead by the forecasts and the models. The radar is showing....potentially... heavy snow from S.Northumberland right the way down the East coast. All eyes to the RADAR. Thin cloud now entering my region..... :whistling:

Posted

Dare i say looking good!

I suppose with it being quite a solid band ther will be less chance of it breaking up when and if it hits us.

Posted

If this band was just 10 miles west I'd be far happier, then I'd be certain I'd get hit! The trouble is I might be near the edge of it all, and therefore I might just miss out on a significant fall of snow! Eagerly waiting the 21:30 radar image...

Posted

If this band was just 10 miles west I'd be far happier, then I'd be certain I'd get hit! The trouble is I might be near the edge of it all, and therefore I might just miss out on a significant fall of snow! Eagerly waiting the 21:30 radar image...

AND ITS A BEAUTYYYYYY yahoo.gif

Posted

It has weakened slightly on the 21:30 radar image, but still heading in the right direction. 5-7cm for Teesside rather than 5-10cm (an inch less), but Tyneside and Durham (City) for example could easily get 3-5cm if all goes to plan. Its going to take a very last minute change to scupper it now, and those would be respectable falls in a northerly which we expected to be dry!

Edited by alza

Posted

It has weakened slightly on the 21:30 radar image, but still heading in the right direction. 4-8cm for Teesside rather than 5-10cm, but Tyneside and Durham (City) for example could easily get 3-5cm if all goes to plan. Its going to take a very last minute change to scupper it now, and those would be respectable falls in a northerly which we expected to be dry!

Weakened? It looked just as strong to me? cc_confused.gif

Posted

i think people are being a bittt too causcious rolleyes.gif

i don't see any reason why it won't it now its this close, i wouldn't get too worked up on wind direction as if it was a shower it would have been blown away hours ago, with it being a trough it should be ok :whistling: well thats my amateur thoughts anyways lmao

Posted

Weakened? It looked just as strong to me? cc_confused.gif

Very slightly. Before most places around Teesside would get 5-8cm with 10cm locally, whilst now I'd say everywhere around Teesside would get 5-8cm as those really heavy bursts aren't as widespread. I'm no expert though so still hope for a spell of heavy snow and don't get worked up on the values I'm quoting.

Edited by alza

Posted

Its one of those where it gives me awful reminders where Middlesbrough had lots of snow yet we stayed dry. I think that was from convective showers and not from a trough/front but never the less, i don't like these NNW flows but the band does appear to be heading our way in a SSW/SW direction.

I even remember Paul Mooney commenting on that occasion whilst he broadcasting in Teesside that 20 miles up the road towards the North, it was dry.

Please please let it hit Tyneside then it can do whatever it wants. I would be more confident if i was in Teesside at this moment in time.

Posted

Very slightly. Before most places around Teesside would get 5-8cm with 10cm locally, whilst now I'd say everywhere around Teesside would get 5-8cm as those really heavy bursts aren't as widespread. I'm no expert though so still hope for a spell of heavy snow and don't get worked up on the values I'm quoting.

Okay mate im just happy its all going much better than i thought it would have, yahoo.gif what time roughly will it arrive for teeside?

GeordieSnow im very confident atm yahoo.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Meto flash warning out for Northumberland and N Yorkshire, but not Tyne + Wear, Durham and Teesside? Doesn't seem right, and this doesn't warrant an extreme warning so they're not about to issue one of those?

Snow showers will spread to parts of Northumberland and North Yorkshire later this evening, giving local accumulations of 2 to 5cm, and possibly up to 10cm, especially over higher ground. This may lead to icy stretches on untreated surfaces.The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 2145 Fri 29 Jan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

nowt up here i hope,still not rid of the last lot.

Not rid of the last lot? Are you living in Morrisons car park? From what I've seen in Consett there's only a few patches, mostly dirty piles in car parks etc.

We're easily due a fresh dusting, bring it on!

Very nice surprise this especially on a Friday night with no work to get to tomorrow :)

Does still look very marginal for me and those further west though.

Posted

Meto flash warning out for Northumberland and N Yorkshire, but not Tyne + Wear, Durham and Teesside? Doesn't seem right, and this doesn't warrant an extreme warning so they're not about to issue one of those?

Why should an extreme warning be introduced? Any snowfall could be persistant but i don't think we are going to see mammoth amounts for a red alert to be issued but a covering is possible IF everything goes to plan.

I'm hoping the surface winds does not stop the PPN heading inland either, the 21:30 to 21:45 radar on raintoday looks iffy and the band did not hit NE Scotland. Anxious times ahead.

Posted

22:00 radar still looks OK, but its nerve racking as to whether Newcastle will get it or not. Even East Tyneside looks better than West Tyneside!

Why should an extreme warning be introduced? Any snowfall could be persistant but i don't think we are going to see mammoth amounts for a red alert to be issued but a covering is possible IF everything goes to plan.

I'm hoping the surface winds does not stop the PPN heading inland either, the 21:30 to 21:45 radar on raintoday looks iffy and the band did not hit NE Scotland. Anxious times ahead.

I was saying that there WOULD NOT be an extreme warning, I was wondering why they left a gap!

Posted

22:00 radar still looks OK, but its nerve racking as to whether Newcastle will get it or not. Even East Tyneside looks better than West Tyneside!

This is agonising but me in teeside should be easily be fine but still im anxious! blush.gif

Posted

This is agonising but me in teeside should be easily be fine but still im anxious! blush.gif

Yeah what happens if it hits Tyneside first and weakens! :)