Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

A few snow showers here in Harton, South Shields this morning but ive been over to the car auctions just off Forest Hall/Silverlink area North Tyneside for most of the day and around mid-day a blizzard struck, lasted for around 15mins with snow sticking to the cars and grass but blown straight off the roads and pavements. Bitterly cold in the strong winds glad to be back home with the heating blasting (again..!!), I do like to see falling/laying snow but my boiler could do with a rest and the way things are i cant see that happening in the foreseeable future. Addmittedily the GFS shows something of a battle next week with the Atlantic coming through but in all honesty i dont think the push from the west will be able to defeat the mighty Siberian influence, i think we are on the verge of something quite spectacular.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think I'd be a bit disappointed if I was up in the North East at the moment- it really doesn't look as if showers will get as far inland as I was expecting, apart from the ones this morning. GFS overdid the inland penetration of showers this evening.

Still chances of a few showers coming onshore over the next few days but not amounting to much.

Just checked out the latest GFS run and it isn't so simple- winds set to veer to a straight northerly for a time tomorrow which could bring some snow showers inland, so the forecasts of 1-3cm widespread near the coast, 3-4cm locally, are still feasible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Well im quite dissappointed rolleyes.gif I had a brief 5minuits flurry at 8:45 to 8:50 and at 12 it was another 5 minuite flurry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I think I'd be a bit disappointed if I was up in the North East at the moment- it really doesn't look as if showers will get as far inland as I was expecting, apart from the ones this morning. GFS overdid the inland penetration of showers this evening.

Still chances of a few showers coming onshore over the next few days but not amounting to much.

Just checked out the latest GFS run and it isn't so simple- winds set to veer to a straight northerly for a time tomorrow which could bring some snow showers inland, so the forecasts of 1-3cm widespread near the coast, 3-4cm locally, are still feasible.

Off the coast in NE Scotland some of the showers are starting to move from N to S instead of NNW to SSE despite no change in wind direction, that will take a long time to affect us but its a step in the right direction. I'm sure the GFS yesterday showed snow getting inland this morning and overnight, and a dry spell this afternoon, which has indeed happened so you never know.

Posted

Is it me or the showers starting to ne-sw and starting to haed towards us or am i daydreaming? dry.gif

Posted

Is it me or the showers starting to ne-sw and starting to haed towards us or am i daydreaming? dry.gif

No you're right, that's what I was going on about earlier - its those showers off the coast of NE Scotland I'm watching. The BBC graphics have been updated and aren't too bad, but I think Yorkshire will be hit by heavy snow in the night whilst we are rather more hit and miss. Generally the further south and east you go in this region the better.

I'm going to sign up for the Netweather radar if there is anything interesting heading our way, but I might just sign up for it anyway later on in the weekend if we don't as I want to give it a go.

Posted

No you're right, that's what I was going on about earlier - its those showers off the coast of NE Scotland I'm watching. The BBC graphics have been updated and aren't too bad, but I think Yorkshire will be hit by heavy snow in the night whilst we are rather more hit and miss. Generally the further south and east you go in this region the better.

I'm going to sign up for the Netweather radar if there is anything interesting heading our way, but I might just sign up for it anyway later on in the weekend if we don't as I want to give it a go.

Oh so i have a much better chance than you? (for change) blush.gif actually i have had my fair share so far this winter but i want more and what time them showers will make landfall? dry.gif

Posted

NAE>> GFS>>

The NAE and GFS show some snow coming a bit further inland during the early hours of saturday morning,so maybe a covering for some.

I think it could be frustrating radar watching for some of us though,watching those showers slide by just off the coast.

Still,thats the way it is with northerly's.:wacko:

Radar showing some heavy stuff heading for NE scotland,so at least something to keep an eye on.

Posted

I use the Netweather radar and visible satellite images to follow shower activity. Sat24 is particularly good as it updates at regular intervals usually 15mins to 30mins.

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

Posted

Oh so i have a much better chance than you? (for change) blush.gif actually i have had my fair share so far this winter but i want more and what time them showers will make landfall? dry.gif

I think you'd have a better chance as Teesside sticks out into the North Sea slightly more than places further north, but I think that if anything exciting hits Teesside, Tyneside will get a bit too - the only way I'll miss out and you don't would be if the edge clips the Teesside area, and the Tyneside coast (Tynemouth etc), maybe still dropping 1-3cm if you're lucky, whilst if you get more (5cm+) I think Tyneside would at least get 1-3cm. Its one of those situations which are very unpredictable though, I'm not promising anything.

Edited by alza

Posted

I think you'd have a better chance as Teesside sticks out into the North Sea slightly more than places further north, but I think that if anything exciting hits Teesside, Tyneside will get a bit too - the only way I'll miss out and you don't would be if the edge clips the Teesside area, and the Tyneside coast (Tynemouth etc), maybe still dropping 1-3cm if you're lucky, whilst if you get more (5cm+) I think Tyneside would at least get 1-3cm. Its one of those situations which are very unpredictable though, I'm not promising anything.

Okay mate :good: what time are there forcast to make landfall roughly?

Posted

Okay mate :good: what time are there forcast to make landfall roughly?

Too unpredictable to say, sometime in the early hours probably, maybe midnight but probably a bit after.

Posted

Yeah, gonna be a radar watch the neet ... The low out to the east is the crux, a little further west and its showers for the North east pushing a little inland but its a really difficult one to call. At the moment i'd say no for Tyneside but a possible clipping for Teeside and a fair decent fall for the Northeastern part of the yorkshire moors.. I think Whitby could be the favoured place to be if you want to see 5+cm...

Posted

.I think it could be frustrating radar watching for some of us though,watching those showers slide by just off the coast.

Still,thats the way it is with northerly's.:good:

If it was a true stright Northerly, u would see those showers affectung us but its more of a NW/NNW direction hence the lack of showers around here.

I'm also surprised by the GFS and UKMO potential for snow tonight, i'll be surprised if anything happens here but i'm more than prepared to be surprised.

Posted

If those keep that intensity and hit us i think i may be pasted whistling.gifdrunk.gif im definately staying up tonight to at least midnight yahoo.gif

Posted

Good evening all, getting the deja vu feeling from a couple of weeks ago. There is a trough shown on the latest METO fax, crossing the country from NE to SW.This would tie in with the METO weather watch for all North East areas for tonight and the most recent precip forecasts and by looking carefully at the radar. The swirl off the North East coast of Scotland is probably representative of the trough, which does appear to be intensifying I must admit. You can also see how there is a bulge pushing out Westwards, as the trough sinks expect this to intensify further. I believe it will be more potent than has been mentioned,providing a covering across Tyne and Wear as well as Teesside and Co. Durham.I think it may well hit Tyneside between midnight and 1am, but don't hold me to that, these things can be unpredictable!

Following behind, the trough should drag in a fair rash of showers which could be fairly potent around dawn, dying out early morning tomorrow ( 9ish?).

Well, that's how I seeit anyway, anyone else?

Karl

Posted

woaah look at the latest radar, i think that big clump to the east of scotland is guna hammer you guys in durham expect a good 7-15cm

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

If those keep that intensity and hit us i think i may be pasted whistling.gifdrunk.gif im definately staying up tonight to at least midnight yahoo.gif

Yup, I think Teesside is in line for at least a few inches tonight, Tyneside and Durham might be but the radar needs checking in case that precipitation changes track. I think there could be some big surprises tonight :cold:

It's worth pointing out that if the main area of snow misses Tyneside we'll still catch a little following on behind, which might be heavy enough to drop 2-4cm so things are looking up atm. :D

Posted

Yup, I think Teesside is in line for at least a few inches tonight, Tyneside and Durham might be but the radar needs checking in case that precipitation changes track. I think there could be some big surprises tonight biggrin.gif

It's worth pointing out that if the main area of snow misses Tyneside we'll still catch a little following on behind, which might be heavy enough to drop 2-4cm so things are looking up atm. biggrin.gif

YESSSSSSSSS i know i just ran round the house dancing and singing when i see this yahoo.gif My mam thinks im nutss clap.gif Im staying up definately now yahoo.gif BEST SNOWFALLS ARE ALWAYS THE SURPRISE ONES drunk.gifclap.gifwub.gifgood.gifyahoo.gifdrinks.gif

Posted

YESSSSSSSSS i know i just ran round the house dancing and singing when i see this yahoo.gif My mam thinks im nutss clap.gif Im staying up definately now yahoo.gif BEST SNOWFALLS ARE ALWAYS THE SURPRISE ONES drunk.gifclap.gifwub.gifgood.gifyahoo.gifdrinks.gif

That's put the pressure on - I hope I'm not wrong now!!! IF that snow does hit the region it should be here by midnight. 5-10cm in Teesside unless it changes track though, mark my words. If you don't have 5cm it'll be a big let down after this evening's radar, and if you don't have 1-2cm I'll be quite shocked, I'd expect a few snow showers around the main band of snow as well.

Btw does anyone know if this is a similar scenario to the one which pasted Teesside on Fri 8th Jan? I think I got some snow that night, I'll have to look that one up though.

Edited by alza

Posted

That's put the pressure on - I hope I'm not wrong now!!! IF that snow does hit the region it should be here by midnight. 5-10cm in Teesside unless it changes track though, mark my words. If you don't have 5cm it'll be a big let down after this evening's radar, and if you don't have 1-2cm I'll be quite shocked, I'd expect a few snow showers around the main band of snow as well.

Yes loads of pressure lmao ive told everyone and theyre buzzing aswell now clap.gif and ill be up till 12 tongue.gif

I doubt it can top that night alza that was the best snowfall i could remember in my lifetime with 15-20cm fallen altogether

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Btw does anyone know if this is a similar scenario to the one which pasted Teesside on Fri 8th Jan? I think I got some snow that night, I'll have to look that one up though.

i'll be happy to just see whiteness again smile.gif i was gutted when our last snow melted it was like someone had died ahaha. hopefully it will stick around till the f.i easterly (i've got a sneaking suspicision its gunna happen laugh.gif). i think we could get a top up on sunday too though atm :drinks:

Edited by Andy Sabb

Posted

The only thing i don't get though is that the flow is generally is from a NNW direction so i am a little confused why the band would head our way.

I won't get excited unless i know how it reacts once it reaches land(if it makes it that far).

Posted

Yes loads of pressure lmao ive told everyone and theyre buzzing aswell now clap.gif and ill be up till 12 tongue.gif

I doubt it can top that night alza that was the best snowfall i could remember in my lifetime with 15-20cm fallen altogether

I'm not suggesting you'll get as much snow as that, but it just seems like a similar situation with a trough which may or may not come inland. Radar still looking good though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

It looks to be a Teeside South even to me. Its marginal for Tyneside.