Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

And so the thread survives! Boring week this one imo, chance of a frost tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Very nice morning up here with sunshine, a thick frost and mist patches. Didn't expect it to be so slippery on the roads though, it was almost as bad as last weeks black ice.

Looking at the model discussion there's plenty of potential in the next 1-2 weeks to keep an eye on.

Posted

I would think its snowing up around the teesdale area at the moment,.

Might even see some around consett/stanley for a while but probably an outside bet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

According to bbc weather forcast snow back as early as sunday :clap:yahoo.gif

Posted

Hello i live 8miles from the coast. I am currently in school and have free time so i thought to post on here smile.gif the kids are asking if it will snow and when please can some1 reply because the model output thread is very confusing to say the least. thankyou :yahoo: And hopefully this thread picks up shortly! :cold:

Posted

Hello i live 8miles from the coast. I am currently in school and have free time so i thought to post on here :) the kids are asking if it will snow and when please can some1 reply because the model output thread is very confusing to say the least. thankyou :crazy: And hopefully this thread picks up shortly! :)

Hi Snowstorm1, Im going through the threads if you are wondering, there is nobody in the EA thread =(. I think the best chances of snow at the start of the week will occur Monday/Monday night, but specific snow totals are too far off to forecast. Then at the end of the week possibly a northerly, with the Polar Vortex possibly heading into Scandinavia, opening up possibilites from the Arctic :)

Posted

Hi Snowstorm1, Im going through the threads if you are wondering, there is nobody in the EA thread =(. I think the best chances of snow at the start of the week will occur Monday/Monday night, but specific snow totals are too far off to forecast. Then at the end of the week possibly a northerly, with the Polar Vortex possibly heading into Scandinavia, opening up possibilites from the Arctic smile.gif

What about sunday night with that front over us with favourable dew points and temps etc ?

Posted

Ref previous posts: The Beeb has a contractual obligation to pass on Met Office warnings. Woe betide the presenter who were to write their own or alter the accumulation totals.

It's been fun so far, hasn't it?

Best wishes to all, Hannah B

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Welcome to NW Hannah, Yeah but when you are advised by the MetO about warnings/forecasts etc and they get it wrong, the blame, unfortunately is directly aimed at you presenters by the general public...guess it goes with the job..!! Maybe the beeb should allow the thoughts of the weather presenter at the end of the forecast if they have any discrepancies with the MetO forecast ...if they feel brave enough..!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Welcome to Netweather Hannah! Hope you will be on here more and maybe give us some inside info when we have more interesting weather again.

Ian Ferguson from BBC south west is already on here, I was just thinking a couple of weeks back it would be great to have one of our presenters on here, and here you are!

Posted

Welcome to Netweather Hannah! Hope you will be on here more and maybe give us some inside info when we have more interesting weather again.

Ian Ferguson from BBC south west is already on here, I was just thinking a couple of weeks back it would be great to have one of our presenters on here, and here you are!

On Sunday January 10 most of us woke up to dripping icicles and thawing paths. Just a degree or two difference from the Saturday, but the slow thaw had begun. The Met Office advisory though was for heavy snow arriving from the south later that day and giving further accumulations of up to 20mm/8 inches, more locally, for the Pennines, with the risk of accumulations elsewhere. Strengthening winds were expected to cause drifting.

The day before I'd had a briefing from the duty forecaster at the Weather Centre in London while I was preparing my Saturday evening broadcast and his message was that the Pennines could be particularly badly affected, especially from drifting.

Overnight, there had been similar advisories for Essex, Hertfordshire and other southern counties... but they hadn't got anywhere near the totals expected. That morning when I dialled into our conference with the Weather Centre, a colleague from down south wanted to know what explanation she should give viewers.

The Chief Forecaster, we were told, was also puzzled. The same system had brought very heavy snow for France and across the continent just hours before. Does everyone remember the set up? It was a warm front snaking right the way from France eastwards to the Baltics, so blown to us on a southeasterly.

When I saw it my first thought was that it looked very similar to the set up in the first week of December 2008, not long after I started, when the Met Office flashed for heavy snow across the North East and Cumbria, brought in on a southeasterly, after heavy snow in northern France and the Channel Islands. Again, the air when it arrived was just a degree or so warmer and it fell as sleet. We'd had heavy snow showers from a north-easterly earlier that week, just like the set up that brought us most of the snow this year.

Through that morning the flash warning was still in place. At lunchtime I rang the duty forecaster in London to ask if he thought we could downgrade the warning. The system was just not producing the snowfall totals further south. He had just spoken to the Chief in Exeter and the warning was removed. The thaw had begun. And although the winds were picking up, clearly, thawing snow doesn't drift.

P.S. Earlier in this thread doubt was thrown on the -20C forecast - we got it, east and west of the Pennines, albeit from enthusiasts with weather stations and not from Met Office. Official, as you know, -19C. Also - doubt on heavy snow shower forecast from the Thursday before Christmas... erm, well we all know how that one turned out :unsure:

Posted

Thank you also for the welcome to the group. Meant to say that before I started talking weather!

Ian F is a lovely bloke, passionate about weather and television. I have been on a couple of courses with him. He gave me a good bit of advice on one of my pieces of coursework for a longer meteorology course I took last year too.

Posted

Thank you also for the welcome to the group. Meant to say that before I started talking weather!

Ian F is a lovely bloke, passionate about weather and television. I have been on a couple of courses with him. He gave me a good bit of advice on one of my pieces of coursework for a longer meteorology course I took last year too.

Hello i enjoy your forcasts tongue.gif Some forcasts are obviously poor but generally overall i think you do very well. A little bit of more snow ramping woudnt go a miss lol tongue.gif Im just 14 and thinking about taking weather as a job choice when i leave school but dont have a clue how to get into such a wonderful job. My knowledge in weather isnt great but much better i have to say than teenagers my age lol biggrin.gif. Is there anything you could suggest?

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

P.S. Earlier in this thread doubt was thrown on the -20C forecast - we got it, east and west of the Pennines, albeit from enthusiasts with weather stations and not from Met Office. Official, as you know, -19C. Also - doubt on heavy snow shower forecast from the Thursday before Christmas... erm, well we all know how that one turned out :drinks:

Hi Hannah! Welcome to NW, not often you have forecasters on here so its a real bonus for our region in particular for having you on board. :cold:

I have to admit, when i watched that forecast, i was surprised and a tad critical of your prediction of -20 being forecast for our region seeing as the national forecasters only predicted it for the Scottish highlands. None the less a good call by yourself if indeed -19 was reached albeit as you said, not by official weather stations.

On a side note, does your weather preference in winter is one of cold/snowy weather or the more typical British winter of mild, wet and times windy?

Posted

Welcome to the forum Hannah! Hopefully this boring weather will improve soon, the national forecast this morning suggested a small risk of snow later on tomorrow, but if that means sleet at low levels I'll leave it alone :drinks:

Posted

Ref previous posts: The Beeb has a contractual obligation to pass on Met Office warnings. Woe betide the presenter who were to write their own or alter the accumulation totals.

Are you the real Hannah off the telly? 8)

Posted

Hi Hannah! Welcome to NW, not often you have forecasters on here so its a real bonus for our region in particular for having you on board. :whistling:

I have to admit, when i watched that forecast, i was surprised and a tad critical of your prediction of -20 being forecast for our region seeing as the national forecasters only predicted it for the Scottish highlands. None the less a good call by yourself if indeed -19 was reached albeit as you said, not by official weather stations.

On a side note, does your weather preference in winter is one of cold/snowy weather or the more typical British winter of mild, wet and times windy?

Evening GS, you mean BBC/MetO forecasters ......as netweather have some extremely good forecasters infact so much so i used to do a weekly forecast on a local radio for Northumberland ( lots of farmers..!!) and feedback revealed that they thought my forecasts were more accurate than the MetO/TV weather bulletins and i compiled a lot of my forecasts on reading what respected members on NW had posted.

Not that i'm knocking the met as i think they have a very difficult job as there is so many 'eyes' upon them.

Posted

Welcome Hannah! :lazy:

Light snow here at the moment.

Posted

Another boring day again today, but next weekend looks like a decent northerly could arrive and they can sometimes be quite good for our region, even if they do topple after a few days :) Worth watching out for, the interesting weather could be back :)

Edited by alza

Posted

iv'e just listened to the weather forecast on radio newcastle.she reckons it will become noticeably milder tuesday onwards.where has she gleamed that info from?.if anything the reverse looks on the cards. :)

i'm gunna email them lol.

hi hannah and welcome to netweather.any chance you could talk trai into joining up also.

Edited by peterf

Posted

iv'e just listened to the weather forecast on radio newcastle.she reckons it will become noticeably milder tuesday onwards.where has she gleamed that info from?.if anything the reverse looks on the cards. :good:

hi hannah and welcome to netweather.any chance you could talk trai into joining up also.

We are due for a couple of milder days on tuesday and wednesday before it turns much colder again on thursday,so go easy on the e-mail.:D

Posted

We are due for a couple of milder days on tuesday and wednesday before it turns much colder again on thursday,so go easy on the e-mail.:good:

was only joking lol.in my eyes only wednesday looks milder before the cold returns,so tuesday onwards seems a bit misleading bearing in mind it could just be for 24hrs.

i dont envy their job mind.

Edited by peterf

Posted

iv'e just listened to the weather forecast on radio newcastle.she reckons it will become noticeably milder tuesday onwards.where has she gleamed that info from?.if anything the reverse looks on the cards. :good:

Allo Peter, the countryfile/tracks ..(whatever its called now) weather for the week also went along with the 'radio' forecast too, i think they've been going off the GFS 00z last night.... the updated GFS 06z has the warmer upper air temps further off to the west and dont really make an impact to the UK especially the further east you are....perhaps they're just being cautious probably wont ramp this up until tue at the earliest if models still show the northerly potential...