Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Snowing here right on the coast, but it looks like glitter..!! not white and fluffy and its certainly not sleet as its falling like snow, very odd but looks quite nice all the same... Ground is soaking wet so no chance of a covering unless in the very unlikely event that ppn becomes heavier..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Snowing here in Peterlee, fairly light! Has been trying to do it all day, was a few flakes this morning and also some drizzle. Compact snow on the paths is getting rather slippery. Laying snow is looking messy now and carparks have big piles of dirty snow/ice.

Is it me or do people think its ok to let their dogs foul the paths more in the snow & ice; it is a nightmare to contend with at the best of times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Moderate Snow Now :yahoo: But no chance of laying lol :yahoo: Still nice to see :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Snowing here in Jarrow. I have a feeling the roads will be dodgy again up in Stanley and Consett in the morning with this snow falling on the already cold or frozen surfaces. I'll be leaving extra time for my journey to Consett in the morning that's for sure!

Posted

Fairly moderate snow here now which is settling nicely.

I think i would rather drive on snow than that ice this morning,then again tomorrow morning could have both.:D

Posted

Still Snowing :)

There is a dusting on the cars but ground extremely wet sadly. But i didnt expect the dusting on cars so who knows :D

Posted

Still Snowing :)

There is a dusting on the cars but ground extremely wet sadly. But i didnt expect the dusting on cars so who knows :D

FANTASTIC :)

Posted

Fairly moderate snow here now which is settling nicely.

I think i would rather drive on snow than that ice this morning,then again tomorrow morning could have both.:D

I think you could be right, and if there is a thin covering of snow on top of ice the tyres will probably go straight through to the ice and it could be just as bad.

I'm just pleased I'll be coming from Jarrow tomorrow and I won't have to get up the steep bank off our estate, which has been taken off the priority gritting list.

Another morning for us all to take it easy on the roads and on foot.

Posted

Well, I'm sick of the snow now. It has been thawing for days and its pretty thin cover now and very icy. A few green bits showing up near busy roadsides and under trees, also parts of the industrial estate is almost snow free. On all the side streets snow cover remains near 100%, depth varies greatly, but the thing that is starting to get on my wick is the roads. For example my street is a 2 inch thick glacier with 2-3 inches of sludge on top of it. It doesn't matter how many cars drive over it, that top layer of snow does not go down - it just moves. In fact I'm sure it is getting bloody deeper and slippier. Yet everywhere else the snow is receding. Every day somebody gets stuck and needs digging out and a push. It is just completely a polar opposite to what is happening off the road.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Well, I'm sick of the snow now. It has been thawing for days and its pretty thin cover now and very icy. A few green bits showing up near busy roadsides and under trees, also parts of the industrial estate is almost snow free. On all the side streets snow cover remains near 100%, depth varies greatly, but the thing that is starting to get on my wick is the roads. For example my street is a 2 inch thick glacier with 2-3 inches of sludge on top of it. It doesn't matter how many cars drive over it, that top layer of snow does not go down - it just moves. In fact I'm sure it is getting bloody deeper and slippier. Yet everywhere else the snow is receding. Every day somebody gets stuck and needs digging out and a push. It is just completely a polar opposite to what is happening off the road.

Your experiences sound not dissimilar to the ones I had in Cleadon around Christmas (albeit with a larger ice cover making it even more lethal- I had just 2-3cm by the time it had turned icy). It may make it easier to understand why I was happy to see a thaw after Christmas Day- especially as it was also connected to a hope that we'd get another dumping towards New Year without having to worry about a layer of ice underneath the fresh snow. (As it happens, I got what I wanted on both counts).

Fresh snow is picturesque and fun, ice can also be picturesque... but isn't fun.

Posted

yeh, there looks to have been some wet snow last night which has frozen. wish me luck walking to work now!

Posted

Woo dusting on cars and in my street patches of snow on floor but outside my street the snow covers everywere!!! :good:

Posted

2/3cm more cm's here. Freezing fog. Temp -1.8C, after another ice day.

Mark

Posted

The fresh covering looks very nice, all the snow looks fresh again. I think we have 2-3cm of fresh snow here in Consett.

The roads don't seem as bad as yesterday, they seem to have been well gritted in this area.

The roads around our industrial estate now have a covering of snow over the ice so they are just as bad as yesterday.

We have a lorry trying to deliver here which has got stuck and totally blocked our road. Where i've parked I had to walk through some untouched snow and it's still a foot deep in places.

We are now up to 29 days snowcover, it was exactly 4 weeks ago today that it all started.

Posted

What MCT said, 29 days consecutive snow cover and approximately 1cm fresh snow to further feed the glacier in my street.

Posted

Snow lying here a day earlier. Snowfell overnight on the 15/16th with full cover at 0900z on the 16th. Snow level was around 250/300m that morning falling through the day as the air turned colder.

Mark

Posted

Hi Guys

Just to let you know the Regional Threads will be Closed at around Midnight tonight and a General Cold Spell Discussion for the Whole Uk Will be Opened at the same time.

Regards

Paul S

Posted

Well the dusting here has melted but the ice is horrendous! lol anyways what a great regional thread this has been thank you all for making this such a delightful thread :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's been good discussing this cold spell with everyone in the thread, and studying the large differences that occur between areas that get hit by showers and areas that don't, and between the coast and areas further inland.

I'll certainly remember the spell 17 December-9 January for a long time to come, not just because of the duration of cold and snow, but also the combination of sunshine and frequent convection over the North Sea. It's no exaggeration to say that the convection often excites me more than the snow that results from it.

I hope the others who have contributed have been able to enjoy themselves and haven't suffered too much as a result of the inevitable inconvenience and disruption.

Posted

Why are the regional threads closing though is it me or is there potential for snow tommorrow and saturday?

Posted

probably too much mod work to keep them all open.

what gets me is why do they create a new thread every 20 pages? its daft.

the regional threads are brill - i vote to keep them open, but to save mods work dont open a new one every day.