Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Allo Peter, the countryfile/tracks ..(whatever its called now) weather for the week also went along with the 'radio' forecast too, i think they've been going off the GFS 00z last night.... the updated GFS 06z has the warmer upper air temps further off to the west and dont really make an impact to the UK especially the further east you are....perhaps they're just being cautious probably wont ramp this up until tue at the earliest if models still show the northerly potential...

i agree,the way the models have been jumping about of late.it must have been a real headache for them.

it's great to have hannah onboard isn't it.now we can get some expert opinion and thoughts. :good:

Posted

Another boring day again today, but next weekend looks like a decent northerly could arrive and they can sometimes be quite good for our region, even if they do topple after a few days :good: Worth watching out for, the interesting weather could be back :D

Well the sunshine should return at least, after this cloudy spell(Which could last until Wednesday). The only way we will get something interesting in terms of convective activity if the Northerly is stright enough, its a bit too NNW at times for my likening but the models do later tilt it so it favours our region.

Posted

Could be some snow on the way for higher parts of the region in the next few hours as some heavier precip. moves in from the east.

Conditions are pretty marginal but should be some snow around in the heavier bursts.

Posted

Could be some snow on the way for higher parts of the region in the next few hours as some heavier precip. moves in from the east.

Conditions are pretty marginal but should be some snow around in the heavier bursts.

yip looking at that now.

ITV WEATHER AT 1824 HRS TODAY

they may aswell have not bothered,twas an insult to your intelligence.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

yip looking at that now.

ITV WEATHER AT 1824 HRS TODAY

they may aswell have not bothered,twas an insult to your intelligence.

I missed it what did it say?

Posted

Hello i enjoy your forcasts tongue.gif Some forcasts are obviously poor but generally overall i think you do very well. A little bit of more snow ramping woudnt go a miss lol tongue.gif Im just 14 and thinking about taking weather as a job choice when i leave school but dont have a clue how to get into such a wonderful job. My knowledge in weather isnt great but much better i have to say than teenagers my age lol biggrin.gif. Is there anything you could suggest?

Hi there, brilliant to hear that you are into weather as a job choice. Having a career in mind already puts you head and shoulders above most other people your age and so does reading this forum. Do you know if you would like to work for the Met Office or the BBC? The Met Office has recently made a science degree a requirement for its forecaster course, so that would mean doing at least a couple of science subjects at A Level. The sort of subjects you might go for at degree include Environmental Science, Geography or Physics. A lot of the BBC national presenters are Met Office forecasters, but not all of them by any means. Carol Kirkwood and Louise Lear don't have meteorology backgrounds and both are obviously great broadcasters and Carol has won lots of awards.

Some of the BBC regional presenters trained as Met Office forecasters, like my colleague Paul Mooney, but most didn't. Having science qualifications will definitely help you though. I took undergraduate courses in Planetary Science and Meteorology. Then when you join the BBC you get more training too, on Met Office courses designed for BBC staff.

So, as well as choosing some science options at school, I would also try to help out at your local hospital radio or community radio, or an internet-based station, so you can get your first taste of broadcasting live. Anything like that will look great on your CV too.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Hannah

Posted

I missed it what did it say?

very vague and indifferent.it said neither nothing or something.

Hi there, brilliant to hear that you are into weather as a job choice. Having a career in mind already puts you head and shoulders above most other people your age and so does reading this forum. Do you know if you would like to work for the Met Office or the BBC? The Met Office has recently made a science degree a requirement for its forecaster course, so that would mean doing at least a couple of science subjects at A Level. The sort of subjects you might go for at degree include Environmental Science, Geography or Physics. A lot of the BBC national presenters are Met Office forecasters, but not all of them by any means. Carol Kirkwood and Louise Lear don't have meteorology backgrounds and both are obviously great broadcasters and Carol has won lots of awards.

Some of the BBC regional presenters trained as Met Office forecasters, like my colleague Paul Mooney, but most didn't. Having science qualifications will definitely help you though. I took undergraduate courses in Planetary Science and Meteorology. Then when you join the BBC you get more training too, on Met Office courses designed for BBC staff.

So, as well as choosing some science options at school, I would also try to help out at your local hospital radio or community radio, or an internet-based station, so you can get your first taste of broadcasting live. Anything like that will look great on your CV too.

Hannah

hi hannah,dont forget to ask trai to join in,regards peter.

Posted

Hannah

I woulcd like to work for the bbc. I didnt take triple science though and so i can only get 2 science exams would that affect my chances? And how could i become involved in broadcasting live etc? i know for a week im helping out in my primary school in june were you going on about that?

Posted

Hannah

hannah thats an awesome reply,and on behalf of the north east netweather members. can i thank you for your contribution.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Welcome to the forums Hannah. I am becoming quite a fan of the BBC Weather forecast, I know it is not to everyones taste but it is certainly informative. How are you liking the new Look North studio? It seems so spacious and I am liking the bigger screen for you to present the weather from.

Posted

Hi Hannah! Welcome to NW, not often you have forecasters on here so its a real bonus for our region in particular for having you on board. :)

I have to admit, when i watched that forecast, i was surprised and a tad critical of your prediction of -20 being forecast for our region seeing as the national forecasters only predicted it for the Scottish highlands. None the less a good call by yourself if indeed -19 was reached albeit as you said, not by official weather stations.

On a side note, does your weather preference in winter is one of cold/snowy weather or the more typical British winter of mild, wet and times windy?

Hi there, thank you for the welcome.

Now, I should probably make some sort of disclaimer here ** speaking strictly in terms of meteorological interest and not human impact** I would go for snow every time! I have to admit to a preference for extreme weather. Highlights so far: the freeze, the floods, and those crazy thunderstorms during our barbecue summer. Quite a buzz to count more than 100 spherics on the radar in an afternoon :)

Posted

Now, I should probably make some sort of disclaimer here ** speaking strictly in terms of meteorological interest and not human impact** I would go for snow every time! I have to admit to a preference for extreme weather. Highlights so far: the freeze, the floods, and those crazy thunderstorms during our barbecue summer. Quite a buzz to count more than 100 spherics on the radar in an afternoon :)

lol how did you find us hannah.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

hi Hannah,

Over the last cold spell during those heavy snow showers we had a few weeks ago; I am wondering if you got to see any lightning or 'thundersnow' or if you have seen it for yourself, certainly a strange site. I was amazed when I saw some blue flashes (about 5 within two minutes) during a heavy snow storm over Peterlee, added a bit of excitement.

Posted

Oh happy day!:) :)

Posted

I woulcd like to work for the bbc. I didnt take triple science though and so i can only get 2 science exams would that affect my chances? And how could i become involved in broadcasting live etc? i know for a week im helping out in my primary school in june were you going on about that?

Don't worry, two science GCSEs is a perfectly good basis to go on to do a science A Level or two and potentially a science-based subject at degree. If it's the BBC you are aiming at rather than Met Office a science degree is not a must-have, so don't worry. I was part of an intake of new presenters (one or two for each region) a year or so ago and the backgrounds varied a lot - from people who had lots of broadcasting experience but little science, to a Met Office forecaster who had never done any broadcasting.

Your interest in weather is the main thing and as say, you are already well ahead.

Anything you can get involved with at school to do with radio or presenting would be a good idea. There are also a lot of community radio stations where you can volunteer as a presenter, which is great experience. I'm not sure if this would be anywhere near you but Lionheart FM in Alnwick, Northumberland, have lots of teenage presenters, including a weather presenter. You can find them on Google.

Good luck with your GCSEs!

Best wishes

Posted

Its good too see your a snow fan during winter times and a thunderstorm lover in the summer time(though these don't sadly occur too often around here). :)

Hopefully by the end of this week, you or your colleagues can give us a snowy forecast. :)

Posted

Don't worry, two science GCSEs is a perfectly good basis to go on to do a science A Level or two and potentially a science-based subject at degree. If it's the BBC you are aiming at rather than Met Office a science degree is not a must-have, so don't worry. I was part of an intake of new presenters (one or two for each region) a year or so ago and the backgrounds varied a lot - from people who had lots of broadcasting experience but little science, to a Met Office forecaster who had never done any broadcasting.

Your interest in weather is the main thing and as say, you are already well ahead.

Anything you can get involved with at school to do with radio or presenting would be a good idea. There are also a lot of community radio stations where you can volunteer as a presenter, which is great experience. I'm not sure if this would be anywhere near you but Lionheart FM in Alnwick, Northumberland, have lots of teenage presenters, including a weather presenter. You can find them on Google.

Good luck with your GCSEs!

Best wishes

Sadly the other day i got my first 1/3 of my gcse back and got a D and i was bitterly dissapointed luckily though i can resit them smile.gif . No its not near me im afraid sad.gif i live in thornaby is there any places like what you describe nearby what you could get me involved in?

Oh and thankyou for replying to my posts and giving me some great answers . smile.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Welcome indeed! I haven't seen enough of the BBC regional forecasts recently to get used to which presenters are which unfortunately, but I must say that while I'm quite critical of the new-style BBC national forecasts, I think the North East regional ones have improved quite significantly over the last five years or so, and that will include your own broadcasts. They seem more informative and the graphics work better when covering smaller areas of the country (IMHO).

I think July 2009 in the North East was probably the most thundery month of any name since June 1980. I noted 7 days with thunder heard in Cleadon which is as much as you normally get in an entire year there.

No need to worry about the disclaimer- most people on this forum dislike the idea that we should feel guilty for wishing for weather that causes inconvenience and disruption. While the snow certainly causes a lot of problems, my experiences with the general public consistently suggest that opinion on it is more divided than one would believe hearing the news, with most people having a love-hate relationship with it to varying degrees.

The northerly progged for the back end of next week looks 'interesting' although much depends on the wind direction- I think a NNW'ly would see snow showers stuck out in the North Sea, but a N'ly or NNE'ly would be likely to bring showers inland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Now, I should probably make some sort of disclaimer here ** speaking strictly in terms of meteorological interest and not human impact** I would go for snow every time! I have to admit to a preference for extreme weather. Highlights so far: the freeze, the floods, and those crazy thunderstorms during our barbecue summer. Quite a buzz to count more than 100 spherics on the radar in an afternoon :pardon:

Great to hear about your preference for extreme weather.

Have you ever thought of going storm chasing? Netweather do tours in the USA every year, I went last year and I'm going again in May, it's amazing!

Hope we get more snow at the end of the week :)

Posted

Great to hear about your preference for extreme weather.

Have you ever thought of going storm chasing? Netweather do tours in the USA every year, I went last year and I'm going again in May, it's amazing!

Hope we get more snow at the end of the week :oops:

mark,are you going for the steak challenge lol.they look a bit awesome.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

mark,are you going for the steak challenge lol.they look a bit awesome.

Thats a tall order, tis like having 18 ¼lb 'real' beefburgers...!!!:).....