Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Nice fax chart for tomorrow at 06hrs, most of Devon and ne Cornwall still on the northern flank of the occlusion so the precip should remain as snow into the morning. Still waiting for the rest of the NAE to come out.

Nick, are we looking at last minute upgrades here?

Posted

Nice fax chart for tomorrow at 06hrs, most of Devon and ne Cornwall still on the northern flank of the occlusion so the precip should remain as snow into the morning. Still waiting for the rest of the NAE to come out.

what about bristol , westcountry , ect , ect nick :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

It seems to be a case of wait and see what falls out of the sky today. I would be surprised if I didn't wake up tomorrow morning to a covering of snow.

How much is open to debate.

Posted

It seems to be a case of wait and see what falls out of the sky today. I would be surprised if I didn't wake up tomorrow morning to a covering of snow.

How much is open to debate.

yes agree Steve!

Good luck if thats what you want or not :unknw:

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Current temp here in Dorset is 1.8c and dropping very slowly, expecting to drop a bit more later.

Looking like this is going to be an interesting day of radar watching.

Remember to keep ya reports coming in, I'll be updating temps ect from my neck of the woods as the day progresses :unknw:

Posted

NAE has maintained for 5-10cms for most of the SW and is basically rock steady as per the last 2 or 3 runs.

Snow risk is very real and I would expect to see the BBC forecasts starting to reflect this more again now.

Posted

NAE has maintained for 5-10cms for most of the SW and is basically rock steady as per the last 2 or 3 runs.

Snow risk is very real and I would expect to see the BBC forecasts starting to reflect this more again now.

Latest blog update from Ian F.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/weather/ianfergusson/

Posted

Nick, are we looking at last minute upgrades here?

The NAE still seems to show the band weakening but on the other side the shortwave forms further south so keeps more of the sw in the colder air. I think at this point its probably a nowcast situation, the NAE has done its normal error at 24hrs it just shows the precip but not if its snow. A good sign St Marys on the Isles of Scilly showing a drop in temp over the last hour. What you want to see if you're further east into eastern Cornwall and west Devon are reports from Western Cornwall, any drop in temp here will be a good sign.

Posted

thanks iceberg , is this a slight upgrade !

Posted

The NAE still seems to show the band weakening but on the other side the shortwave forms further south so keeps more of the sw in the colder air. I think at this point its probably a nowcast situation, the NAE has done its normal error at 24hrs it just shows the precip but not if its snow. A good sign St Marys on the Isles of Scilly showing a drop in temp over the last hour. What you want to see if you're further east into eastern Cornwall and west Devon are reports from Western Cornwall, any drop in temp here will be a good sign.

Thanks for that.

Just popped out to put the rubbish out (incse they come down the lane - Ha!) and its feeling bitter in the wind, really cold. (oh and most of the recycling blew down the lane so had to go and collect that to)

Posted

Just noticed that the MetO warnings for Cornwall and Pembrokeshire have been completely removed. Other warnings remain much the same except for less probability for some areas (60% rather than 80%).

Posted

Well latest Met Office update puts the snow risk further eastward than previously

Looking very much as though there will be some bigger falls on a very local scale (orographic lift could play a huge role here)

SK

Posted

Forecast for Dartmoor National Park for Tuesday

Dry at first, then sleet and snow arriving from late morning. Southeasterly gales too, giving blizzard like conditions later.

Updated: 0312 on Tue 12 Jan 2010

Met Office forecast.

Edit: Radar picking up the PPN turning to snow (Bodmin) and sleet (eastern Cornwall) anyone confirm this?

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Leading edge of the PPN now turning to snow over the southern tip of Dartmoor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I added you on xbox smile.gif

Good good. I shall go have a game in a min. might seya laterz although i stress that i am not that brilliant at the moment only had game a week or so. whistling.gif

Posted

Leading edge of the PPN now turning to snow over the southern tip of Dartmoor

Do you mean Bodmin Moor?

post-7608-12632940645828_thumb.png

Posted

:unknw:

Well latest Met Office update puts the snow risk further eastward than previously

Looking very much as though there will be some bigger falls on a very local scale (orographic lift could play a huge role here)

SK

:lol:

late shift tonight..very interesting night ahead

Risk of disruption Warning Valid from Valid to

South West England:

60% Bath + NE Somerset

60% Bristol

60% Devon

60% Dorset

60% Gloucestershire

60% N Somerset

60% S Gloucestershire

60% Somerset

60% Wiltshire

Heavy Snow 1200 Tue 12 0900 Wed 13

There is a high risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of west and southwest England as well as parts of Wales.

Rain will turn to snow as it moves northeastwards through Tuesday and the first part of Wednesday. Fresh snow accumulations of 2-5cm are expected widely away from south coast with locally 10-15cm mainly over hills. There is a low risk of 15-25cm over the hills of southeast Wales. Strong southeasterly wind is likely to lead to drifting of snow.

This could cause disruption to travel networks and lead to problems with power lines.

Issued at: 1048 Tue 12 Jan

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Good good. I shall go have a game in a min. might seya laterz although i stress that i am not that brilliant at the moment only had game a week or so. whistling.gif

ok il come on.

Posted

I'm jealous of all you xbox players lol - don't any of you have to work?

Very heavy echoes on radar for St Ives area now.

Posted

post-7608-12632951221728_thumb.png

The main band seems to be mking landfall about now...