Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Humm if only - that covers me and it ifs still snowing then - we could be in for a right dumping lol!

after the disappointment of yesterday - i reckon no snow at all....anything more and il be happy

Best to think that way mate then anything is a bonuswhistling.gif lol

I don't think many models portray precip and accumulation that accurately. If you take some charts and put them against the eventual radar distribution, there's always discrepancies. Particularly in overdoing the spread. I very much doubt that distribution will be to the extent that those charts show.

I'll make sure I get you some pictures then mate lol. I believe that the NAE is a higher res than other models and its faired pretty well so far. Like I said earlier though theres still time for upgrade or downgrade and if it intensifies over the sea then it could be the holy grail for us. Think we,ll have a better idea tomorrow but these situations are what favour our area most without a shadow of a doubt cold.gif

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

OMG juts check the radar have you seen whats coming from SW. Hope it deosn't fall as rain though I will bes sooooo disappointed. My current temps are very slightly less than yesterday 0.9 deg dp 0.5 - saw light flurries of snow in the morning yesterday with rain in the afternoon. temps stayed fairly static yesterday throughout the day.

We seem to get best snow from that direction (never quite gets going when comes in from East). Whats others thoughts - is it likely to bring the cold with it so temps juts that ickle bit so we see snow and not mush

http://www.metoffice...ather/uk/radar/

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/europe.html

Edited by Snowcheeks

Posted

OMG !!!!! That is just MEGA precip! It's gonna be an interesting day radar watching I think. Lets see what happens when it moves inland !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

I'm worried that temps are on the marginal side - if it does arrive overnight this will help us. However will it even make it to the midlands?! I'm not overly optimistic that this will bring us anything - but I'm on my 8th day of lying snow so I don't mind too much!!!

Posted

I pretty sure that this'll weaken by a deal before it even reaches the far West Midlands. I hope not though, I'm hoping to see some settling snow. :unknw:

Posted

I'm worried that temps are on the marginal side - if it does arrive overnight this will help us. However will it even make it to the midlands?! I'm not overly optimistic that this will bring us anything - but I'm on my 8th day of lying snow so I don't mind too much!!!

Most forecasts have it over the midlands tonight in the early hours, but at the rate its moving you would guess it would arrive before that, but it prob stall a bit as it moves inland. Happy days though if it gets here tonight. Could be in for an interesting scenario.

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

As usually happens the west midlands could be in one of the best locations for these events as forecasters are now predicting rain and sleet in the SW and south wales today with snow on the hillls...........

If it reaches us tonight then we might be onto a winner........not sure how cold it is this morning but my car windscreen was frozen an hour ago so temps are currently around freezing id have thought.

It would be great if the ppn could hold off until late evening time........but as you say - it may not even reach us.

Posted

even an amateur like me can see that this aint looking good

its coming in too fast and this will get here well before tonight. temps are just too high. it will be rain. sleet at best! and maybe snow for higher ground! hope im wrong whistling.gif

Posted

even an amateur like me can see that this aint looking good

its coming in too fast and this will get here well before tonight. temps are just too high. it will be rain. sleet at best! and maybe snow for higher ground! hope im wrong whistling.gif

It hasn't met the cold air yet! Lets wait & see, it may stall, it my stride in & rain. Who knows? :drinks:

Posted

It hasn't met the cold air yet! Lets wait & see, it may stall, it my stride in & rain. Who knows? smile.gif

okay... so we are waiting for it to meet cold air..........please snow!!!!!!!!!!! pardon.gif

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

I wouldn't worry about the speed; when it hits up against that high pressure it'll soon slow down... lets just hope that high pressure is a bit further NE than the models think. :drinks:

Looking at that band... oh how I'd love that to stall above us! Or even just reach us with that intensity!

Edited by Nabraxas

Posted

been to the south west thread and accordin g to a poster who lives in exeter, the temp and dew point has been dropping since early morning. he is recording temp now at 2C and dew point at -1C

Posted

Most of the fun with these 'events' is the anticipation - the 'will it won't it', refreshing radar screens, looking at charts LOL!! If a big 'event' came off as planned with none of the preceding angst it wouldn't be as much fun :)

Posted

Looking at ye ole radar I reckon that we could see some ppn as early as 3pm-ish. Will it be rain, sleet or snow though?!

We should run a book - the winner gets a snowball in the post!

I say snow, 3pm...any advances, higher? lower? What do points make....PPN!

Posted

I'd say later than that - the front is going to start slowing to a crawl once it bumps up against the cold air/high pressure.

Posted

The warnings for my neck of the woods just got dropped from Met office. I'm not believing there'll be no snow, just not enough to warrant a warning. Anyway, I put my bet down at 21:30 for impacting Birmingham :unknw:

Posted

The current GFS run is showing that the pptn doesn't push as far inland as it did in previous runs, so, I now declare the East Midlands... out of luck!